Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

And you say most of US know our football.  Well actually most of you are hippocrites because two, three seasons ago, the vast majority on here wanted him out.

[/quote]

I don''t think so.

I think a lot of us always liked him as a player but it was just the same clueless idiots who wanted rid back then who are saying the same things now.

[/quote]

Well said (as with your other posts here).  Not a lot else to add really.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

And you say most of US know our football.  Well actually most of you are hippocrites because two, three seasons ago, the vast majority on here wanted him out.

[/quote]

I don''t think so.

I think a lot of us always liked him as a player but it was just the same clueless idiots who wanted rid back then who are saying the same things now.

[/quote]

Again i cannot agree with that..From about 2 seasons ago,i started turning on him as he gave away to many freekicks(something my spurs season ticket holder told me he would do),and most of my mates had turned earlier! ..But last season he has produced the best form since his luton days and has won many round

Digusted?

I was disgusted that we dropped two divisions with Doc at the heart of the defence and whilst it was not all of his fault, he played a part, as he has in getting us up. He has had a good season but at the business end of the season Nelson performed better & more consistantly.

I could not see Doc & Nelson forming the partnership next year due to lack of pace but you need a mixture at the back. IMO Nelson (player of the month for league one when it mattered) is better than Doc has more hunger & desire and crucially is not out of contract & considerably cheaper.

A man that has won two out of three games deserves a bit more respect than having his decisions ridiculed when he obviously has only the best for City on his mind.

Doc going was always going to happen & if he had not I mind have questioned Lambert a bit more..... opinions don''t you love ''em.

More worried about Russell in all honesty.

I think he needed a season like last before going back up to a higher level. And why does this and Russell make me worry about last season?

[quote user="G"]I think he needed a season like last before going back up to a higher level. And why does this and Russell make me worry about last season?[/quote]

next season*

I am not sure it is down to just ability. I say that because although he is a good solid player he is not leagues ahead of any of the other defenders we have at the moment.

I think its more to do with looking at them camparatively:

Gary Doherty - 30 (two months older than Nelson), out of contract

Michael Nelson - 30, one year into a three year deal

Jens Bethal Askou - 27 one year into a two year deal.

Zak Whitbread - 26, 6months into a two and a half year deal.

I would also think that out of all of those Doherty has the biggest wage demands. He also said he wanted to leave last summer and then didn''t - either no takers or no good offers. Out of contract this summer perhaps he was offered a contract with less money and didn''t want to do it, or perhaps Lambert said he wouldn''t be first choice nessisarily.

There are so many factors that perhaps we will never know. What we do know is that he was our longest serving player in that position and he gave everything he had for the team. So whilst I am sad to see him go because its not often you find a player as committed as that these days and because he gave us some memorable moments, I am also optimistic because we have entered a new stage and sometimes that means letting some good servants go.

I have faith in Lambert and perhaps this is the biggest risk he is taking this season. Either he is confident that Spillane or perhaps another youngster can prove to be good back up in that position or he has his eye on another player that they are pretty condifent on getting in.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Boyo"]  He has found his level, [/quote]

Yup, because that''s how professional football works.

You play at a higher level for the best part of 10 years and then all of a sudden it turns out that''s not your level.

Deary me, you really are quite clueless.

[/quote]

He has played at a higher level for 10 years or so, but can you honestly say that the years he played for us he was actually any good?

He has been good this season in League 1 after being useless in the Championship for about 4 seasons, therefore, he has found his level.

[/quote]

Yes, he was good at Championship level. Infact he was doing well for Spurs in the Prem until he broke his leg.

I think that most of us who know our football (that''s not you, by the way) would be able to see that.

You really need to wake up and have a little think if you think the way it works in football is that you play regularly for 10 years or so before you get found out. It''s just naive, ignorant... even stupid to think it works like that.

[/quote]

If you think he was a good footballer in the Championship then you do not know your football.  He done well for us in the sense that he always gave 100% and wanted to play for the club, but doing well and being a good footballer are two different things.

[/quote]So the thousands of fans who voted him Player of the Season in 2005-6 ahead of Darren Huckerby "do not know their football"?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Boyo"]  He has found his level, [/quote]

Yup, because that''s how professional football works.

You play at a higher level for the best part of 10 years and then all of a sudden it turns out that''s not your level.

Deary me, you really are quite clueless.

[/quote]

He has played at a higher level for 10 years or so, but can you honestly say that the years he played for us he was actually any good?

He has been good this season in League 1 after being useless in the Championship for about 4 seasons, therefore, he has found his level.

[/quote]

Yes, he was good at Championship level. Infact he was doing well for Spurs in the Prem until he broke his leg.

I think that most of us who know our football (that''s not you, by the way) would be able to see that.

You really need to wake up and have a little think if you think the way it works in football is that you play regularly for 10 years or so before you get found out. It''s just naive, ignorant... even stupid to think it works like that.

[/quote]

If you think he was a good footballer in the Championship then you do not know your football.  He done well for us in the sense that he always gave 100% and wanted to play for the club, but doing well and being a good footballer are two different things.

[/quote]

So the thousands of fans who voted him Player of the Season in 2005-6 ahead of Darren Huckerby "do not know their football"?

[/quote]

It just shows how poor the team was then.

Just because he beat Huckerby dosn''t mean he is brilliant.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]So the thousands of fans who voted him Player of the Season in 2005-6 ahead of Darren Huckerby "do not know their football"?[/quote]

[/quote]It means the majority of fans who voted decided that he was the best player that season - in the Championship.

[quote user="freddyf105"]

**** this, how can we be keeping Nelson but releasing Doherty?! I''m not gonna ***king trust in lambert right now

[/quote]

Doherty doesn''t cost anything to release - he was out of contract. We would have to pay off Nelson.

I guess it''s a wages issue as much as anything.  Can''t say I would ever want Doc in my team if I afford someone more competent. It remains to be seen if we can find or afford any decent new centre backs.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]As with the Mackay and Huckerby decisions, it''s not the letting go that''s the problem, it''s the replacing. We''ll only know whether it was a good decision when we see who our CBs are next season. If we sign someone better than the Doc, I''ll be delighted. I like my City players to give their all. The Doc did that, often in very difficult circumstances, every week. Cheers and good luck, Ginger Pele.[/quote]

The letting go is the problem cause if the Doc release turns out like Mackays and Huckerbys then we''ll be f ucked!

When letting players go the logic I have is that you get rid of players who aren''t good enough and won''t add anything to the squad. In reality you''d be crazy to accuse the Doc of either

Some are saying that the Doc wouldn''t be up to the Championship.Well if thats the case then what the hell would the likes of the inferior Nelson, Askou, Whitbread and Spillane do then?

Even if the Doc would end up struggling in the Championship, he would be dropped and would become a more than reasonable squad player!

Another factor with the Doc which I''ve mentioned on other threads is the fact he loved the club and always gave an honest performance, something many many players at every club don''t!

Not the end of the world if Lambert gets it right but my gut instinct says that many of the Docknockers will maybe realise how good he was when hes gone!

I was travelling to and from London all of yesterday so have only just seen this news now!I''m totally shocked by this, and given some of his performances this year, its a much more sad day than I ever expected it to be.But.... Whist Doherty has plenty of passion and guts when he''s on form, he is extremely limited in his ability and is prone to losing his best form when things aren''t going so right - the classic confidence player, if you will.  Its true that Nelson is perhaps no better or worse than Doherty, but you can bet he''s on a hell of a lot less money.  With him and JC off the wage book, our transfer prospects for the coming season could look a little brighter.Obviously a big part of this is who Lambert chooses to replace Doc with, but we''ve trusted him this far and I see no reason to lose that trust because a Marmite player has been released.  By all accounts, Askou was looking much more solid and reliable than Doc before his injury, and all reports on Whitbread show promise.  With Nelson and any new Dave Defender that comes in, our defence could once again look solid next season - perhaps more so.

I really can''t see why some seem to be so against Doc being released, he has played four seasons for us in the championship and in that time we have conceded an average of 65 goals per season. He is obviously not entirely to blame but I have long since been of the opinion that while he is part of our defence we would continue to concede goals at that level. Doc is a great guy and has been a loyal servant to this club but the time is right for him to move on.

Let''s get over it, he has gone and nothing anyone says will change that!

Quite suprising how many question what Lambert has done, if at all as many have rightly put, it could have been the Docs decision to go or he wanted more that the club were prepared to pay him, any scenario it has happened and one thing is certain if Lambert felt ad strongly as some surely he would have stretched to keep him, in Lambert I certainly trust as he hasn''t put a foot wrong yet!

Doc, the new marmite, some love him and some just don''t......doesn''t mean anyone is right or wrong, just have a different opinion to others.

I''m really struggling to understand why people are saying "why get rid of Doc and keep Askou/Nelson". People, Nelson and Askou are under contract already, releasing them will mean we would have to pay off their contract which I''m pretty sure we can''t afford to do. For all we know, Lambert may be selling one of them for a profit over the summer.

It''s only May, the season ended a week ago today, lets not start saying we''re worried about the back 4 next year when there is so much more going to happen over the coming weeks and months!

Thanks for your terrific service Doc, you''ll be missed by the fans for your loyalty and here''s to a successful future wherever he may go!

GRANTROEDERANDANYOTHERMANAGER Wrote "If Doc aint good enough for the championship what the hell would the likes of INFERIOR nelson,askou,whitbread and spillane"

ALL OF THOSE HAVE PROVEN,WITH THE EXCEPTION OF WHITBREAD,WITH US ANYWAY,THAT THEY ARE EASILY CAPABLE OF DOC`S STANDARD!!! And nelsons last 2 months,askous form before injury and spillane putting excellent cover again before injury,eclisped the doc! ...So glad LAMBERT is in charge and not you,and so glad you aint a football pundit or a scout! Ps Again will save your post just to prove lambert knows more about football than you when whitbread has had a full preseason and askou/spillane and nelson all put in fine performances in the championship!

But still would have liked to say goodbye to the doc for proven me wrong last season and putting in one good season

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]So the thousands of fans who voted him Player of the Season in 2005-6 ahead of Darren Huckerby "do not know their football"?[/quote]

[/quote]It means the majority of fans who voted decided that he was the best player that season - in the Championship.[/quote]Stop trying to beat people''s petty prejudices with facts, it won''t do you any good![:P]

I bet he will end up with a League 1 or lower level CCC side. This would be based solely on this past season. If not for that, he would end up like that guy who played for us in the Prem whom I saw on TV here in an early round FA Cup game a few years back playing defender for King''s Lynn. Was that Charlton, I don''t recall, but I do remember being quite p#ssed off seeing this guy playing for KL because it meant NOBODY else in football thought he was worth signing and yet he was a regualr on our team in the Prem. How does one drop 5 or 6 divisions so quickly? By being seriously overrated by the first team.

I am amused by the shrill reactions of some of the fans of Gary Doherty. One fellow suggested Doherty be in the Hall of Fame. I presume he means the NCFC one and not the FA one, but still.....

grantroed, earlier you mentioned you hoped Doherty wouldn''t come back to haunt us. He already has haunted us.

OR

grantroed, earlier you mentioned you hoped Doherty wouldn''t come back to haunt us. You mean like how he haunted Tottenham the 2 times we played them and lost by an aggregate of something like 7 to 0?

gr, you also claim Doherty loved the club so much, but if that is the case, why did he wait until the last minute to sign his previous contracts? If he loved the club so much, he''d have done a Huckerby and signed immediately.

He did have a good season this year, but so did everyone else except Theoklitis.

The difference between Doherty and the other defenders is that he has already had a shot at the CCC and failed.

I do think we should keep him, though. If we get relegated next season, he can play to his level and help get us promoted out of League One again.

Is there anyone who wouldn''t give him a good reception? Are you new to this site?

If he signs with a CCC club and gets to play against us, the receptions would be A) people bowing and fawning like Jesus had come back, and B) people grumbling about the miserable times he caused us. 2 extremes, not a lot of middle ground here.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I''m really hoping this is a joke, and that Wiz doesn''t use a wheelchair. Otherwise you should be ashamed of yourself for being utterly out of order.
[/quote]

He''s in a wheelchair and I found those comments distasteful.

Boring, boring, boring bitter people who don''t even go to games.Yawn.