Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

I still maintain that Doherty could of done what messrs Ward and Barnet have done this season. Just look at how good Nelsons been in the last few games and he wasn''t as good as the Ginger one!

I also think that keeping the Doc and not signing Whitbread would of been more beneficial for the club!

But I''m looking forward and we have got at least 3 CB''s good enough to do a job at this level and possibly 4 if Whitbread can keep fit and even Askou''s more than OK as a squad player!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I still maintain that Doherty could of done what messrs Ward and Barnet have done this season. Just look at how good Nelsons been in the last few games and he wasn''t as good as the Ginger one!

I also think that keeping the Doc and not signing Whitbread would of been more beneficial for the club!

But I''m looking forward and we have got at least 3 CB''s good enough to do a job at this level and possibly 4 if Whitbread can keep fit and even Askou''s more than OK as a squad player!

[/quote]

Dream on !!

OK the 1st one is very debatable but given that Whitbread has played 1 and bit games this season, its a safe bet that the Doc would of done more for us so far than sickie Whitbread has!

Ward and Barnet have been very good this season but all this talk about Barnet being the best defender we''ve seen here for years and years is over the top and Ward is slightly over rated by some as well!

OK the 1st one is very debatable but given that Whitbread has played 1 and bit games this season, its a safe bet that the Doc would of done more for us so far than sickie Whitbread has!

Ward and Barnet have been very good this season but all this talk about Barnet being the best defender we''ve seen here for years and years is over the top and Ward is slightly over rated by some as well!

[/quote]Ward is a funny player, on instinct he is great, making blocks, timing tackles and winning headers. When he has time to think though he tries to do too much and either gets caught or hits a pretty aimless pass forward.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]
Ward is a funny player, on instinct he is great, making blocks, timing tackles and winning headers. When he has time to think though he tries to do too much and either gets caught or hits a pretty aimless pass forward.
[/quote]

What?! Ward is pretty much our only defender who can actually PASS out of defence, feels comfortable enough on the ball to bring it forward etc - on occasion he goes a bit too far admittedly but i do think he''s been very good for us this year.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]Ward is a funny player, on instinct he is great, making blocks, timing tackles and winning headers. When he has time to think though he tries to do too much and either gets caught or hits a pretty aimless pass forward.[/quote]

What?! Ward is pretty much our only defender who can actually PASS out of defence, feels comfortable enough on the ball to bring it forward etc - on occasion he goes a bit too far admittedly but i do think he''s been very good for us this year.

[/quote]Oh I agree he has been very good. Bit of a shakey start but that was true of many. I agree he is comfortable on the ball and when he carries it and plays a simple ball to Crofts or Fox he does well. He does occasionally try and do a bit much and hit a longer ball into someones feet and has on occasions looked a little reluctant to just put his foot through it in situations where we need to get rid of the ball. All in all I still think him and Barnett are our best partnership. Cant really judge Whitbred yet and with Nelson and Barnett we are a bit prone to hoofball.

Agree completely actually! I think it''s good to have once central defender (ward) who will try to pass it out with another who will put their foot through it.

Whitbread strikes me as a player who would pass the ball out in a similar fashion to Ward to be honest. Only seem him play twice but he does seem willing to control the ball and play it out.

[/quote]LOL! Thank god we''ll never have to find out. The difference between Doc and Nelson is Nelly knows what hes capable of which is being in the right place at the right time, making excellent tackles, being good in the air and simply clearing the ball from danger. Doc thought he could do all of that and then dribble the ball out of defence and play the perfect pass - which he proved time and time again he couldnt. As good as he was last season still more of a liability than Nelson and would not cope in the championship as hes proved in the past.One game from Whitbread this season showed how much of a better player he is than Doc.Good to know its taken this long for the subject of Doc to be brought up again - the performaces of our CBs obviously keeping the Doc lovers quiet and quite rightly so. Still bugs me Doc got in ahead of Hoolahan in POTS but hey at least Lambert knows what hes doing and its not those fans making big decisions.Doc would have done the same job as Ward and Barnett...priceless

I was a doc fan,but with qpr playing 4 up front against us,and the way whitbred cooly dis possessed and distrubuted the ball,makes me think whitbred is twice the player when under pressure!

The doc was excellent when we were winning and no pressure

[/quote]

Yeah, the Doc would have done a job this season, no worries about that.

I certainly wish him well and will always view him as a good player for us but I''m very happy with the defenders we''ve got at the club now.

[/quote]You sir need to find a future in stand up !I almost spat my tea all over the key board, top gaff !

Poor old Doc, still not getting any credit for how good he was for us!

I''m glad I could see it and don''t fall into the bandwagon jumping category that many fans do. For instance I never once doubted Holt earlier this season when many were slating him and I never gave Russell Martin stick like some were!

The truth about the Doc whether people admit it or not was that in over 200 apearances most of them were good performances and he was one of our best players, certainly one of the few players that could honestly say they done a decent job in the relegation campaign. Last season he was outstanding and it should of gave the Docknockers a clue when he was voted one of the best 2 CB''s in last seasons League 1 - voted for by who? - all players who played in last seasons League 1!

The Doc had his crap games,as every player does, but they were far outweighed by the good games. He was worth every penny we paid for him and could hold his head high when he left knowing he done a good job!

Whitbread better than the Doc!!!! - Possibly if he wasn''t ruddy injured nearly all the time!

Annoys me when people go on about how good perrenially injured players are - Their not that good if their not playing very much!

Same with Surman - yes he looks good but overall hasn''t been good for us cause he hasn''t been playing!

R.I.P The Doc, Ginger Pele!