Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]no-seen him there before and you know what hes like[/quote]Yes I do.Player of the Season 2005-63rd place PotS 2008-9Both in the Championship.

It will be interesting to see where Gary Doherty is playing next season.....

Championship? First Division? Second Division? Non-league?.....(Not the Premiership). 

Who''ll show him some interest?....

Maybe, Southampton?

Hairy Canary... unfortunately a little more than guts and determination are required from one of your highest paid players to be a successful Championship side.

We have to hope that we can get Whitbread back to full fitness and hope that Lambert can bring in one or two new defenders on half the wages the Doc was on that are hopefully of at least a similar quality, if not better.

He didn''t defend well in the Premiership, none of our team defended well n the Premiership. We conceded 77 goals !!!

He is very good at League 1 level, but at Championship level, he just is not good enough. Lambert has made great decisions so far while he has been manager and i expect he must have some ideas of defenders that he can expect to get. We''ve all heard enough rumours, including Alex Bruce, Jay McEvely and my personal favourite which i heard today, Sol Campbell. However i feel that one may be a little bit of an exaggeration.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Championship? First Division? Second Division? Non-league?.....(Not the Premiership). 

Maybe, Southampton?

[/quote]I think Championship, but we''ll see.  If so, I hope he gets a decent reception when he comes back to Carrow Road.  And hey, we should applaud him as if he''s playing against us then we''ll be guaranteed at least two penalties and/or free kicks around the box.

i love the doc but not good enough if you want to be getting near the top of the champ probaly sign for someone like sheff wed but good luck

Unbelievable!

I can''t believe it!

While I have complete trust in Lambert, releasing our best Central defender makes absolutely no sense!

I must presume we are signing a new Central defender cause while Nelsons been a rock this season, he''ll be entering new untried territory next season, Askou isn''t as good as Nelson and Whitbread must be a concern having not gotten over his injuries!

I thought the idea was to keep hold of your best players to try and keep the momentum going?

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]rubbish player-pleased hes gone, proves we mean business next season[/quote]

There are some absolute pricks on this forum at the moment, but you have just raised the bar for ignorance to a whole new level.  

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]He played in the Premier League and defended well[/quote]Now hang on a sec... I am one of Doc''s biggest fans - I don''t think there''s any secret of that - but I think this is going a little far...

Askou, Nelson, Whitbread, are any of them better than ginger Pele? Not for me. I thinbk Gary and Jamie were the two big earners at the club and that is why gary is out, Jamie is out because hes the only person who has never scored on a visit to Amsterdam.

This has to be because of his wages. Any other reason makes it a crass decision by "god" Lambert. To keep Nelson (limited even in the third division), Askou (injury prone) or Whitbread (far from proven) makes no sense at all. I just hope Lambert makes a pretty special signing to replace Docherty who has been a real special servant to the club; not to mention the pick of the defence this season.

As I''ve said repeatedly the main reason he appeared weak in the Championship was because of a goalie who did not inspire confidence and no holding midfielder to cover.

All in all this leaves a pretty nasty taste in the mouth.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Maybe, Southampton?

[/quote]

I think Championship, but we''ll see.  If so, I hope he gets a decent reception when he comes back to Carrow Road.  And hey, we should applaud him as if he''s playing against us then we''ll be guaranteed at least two penalties and/or free kicks around the box.
[/quote]

Gasp! Shock! Horror!.....What if it''s with our Suffolk ''Friends''......? [:O]

Rocket Roy, might take him onboard.......?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.[:(][/quote]

Will you keep the picture in honour of the Doc, Morty?

[/quote]I shall indeed.[:)][/quote]

In all seriousness really surprised by this. Really big call by Lambert. But if he isn''t convinced by him in the championship then fair play.  But best of luck to the Doc. Been a bloody star this season when he could have easily sacked the season off in about August and just taken the money.

[/quote]

To be honest I''d very much doubt it''s got anything to do with the Championship because looking at it Lambert will know what Doherty has done in the game. Afterall nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has.

My guess would be the money side of it or perhaps the Doc himself would like to leave on a high and have a fresh start at a new club while he''s still got a few years on his side.

[/quote]

"Nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has"

Really? Because I was under the impression that this was his first winners medal, and he has no individual honours that I can speak of. He played a handful of games at Spurs and got ridiculed as a result, he played in a very poor Ireland defence in an international team which never qualified for a major tournament whilst he played. In fact, this is his first ever promotion. In fact, he is probably one of the LEAST successful senior players in our squad. Please for the bloke to have won something, but now is the time for him to take that trip to the USA.

Adam Drury, on the other hand, has a Championship winners medal and a League One winners medal.

Paul McVeigh now has a Championship winners medal, a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase winners medal.

Chris Martin now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Michael Spillane now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Gary Holt now has two League One winners medals, and the League Two top scorer award.

Jamie Cureton has won several League One and League Two top scorer awards.

Matt Gill captained Exeter City to two consecutive promotions.

Stephen Hughes, I believe, possesses more than one Scottish Premier League winners medal.

Russell Martin now has two League One winners medals.

Wes Hoolohan has now won promotion from League One for the second time.

Now, you tell me what Gary Dohery has "achieved" other than being comically labelled the ''Ginger Pele'' after a handful of games for a, frankly, crap Spurs team.[/quote]

How about34 international capsNorwich City Player of the Season 2005-6League One Team of the Year 2009-10League One championship winner 2009-10

[/quote]add promotion with Luton and an FA cup  goal against the Arsenal

Doc did not have his greatest season last year, but who did!  We got relegated, and to blame that entirely on Doc (as some seem to) seems a bit shallow!He has also been one of our most consistent performers (player of the year once and in the top three twice) as has already been pointed out.So this season he came back from the abyss - and performed excellently - better than ever before, and truly made a contribution which helped us get promotion.  I think he deserved his chance next season, because so many players have performed better under Lambert, and I think we will never no how the new more confident (under Lambert) Doc could have perfomed at that level.I also think that if Docs limitations were exposed at Championship level, Nelsons will be far more so.  He is slower and with poorer distribution.  Whitbread is still unproven, and injury ravaged.  I think we need another two central defenders, if only to cover these two players (or one if Spillane is to play there).

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]shows how thick some of our fans are and how low the club had sunk[/quote]Next time I want to hear from an arsehole.........I''ll fart.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]shows how thick some of our fans are and how low the club had sunk[/quote]Next time I want to hear from an arsehole.........I''ll fart.

Not entirely surprised by this.

He''s probably the highest earner at the club and apart from this season he hasn''t ever looked solid enugh IMHO.

A centre back partnership of Nelson and Doherty didn''t exactly brim me with confidence in the Championship. I think Doherty is quite abit better then Nelson and he would of been good back up. I was quite surprised to hear he was leaving but it show''s Lambert is looking at changing things up, plus, as others have said, he might of wanted a new challenge or he might not of wanted to take a pay cut on his high salary. We just don''t know.

haha Norwich City legend Doc... please tell us another one! Hardly ranks up there with any of the following for starters... Forbes, Watson, Bruce, Polston, Newsome, MacKay.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I think Doherty is quite abit better then Nelson and he would of

been good back up.
[/quote]So if Doc''s good enough for back up, what would you have done with Nelson?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="wrathsajoke"]shows how thick some of our fans are and how low the club had sunk[/quote]Next time I want to hear from an arsehole.........I''ll fart.[/quote]

LMAO.........and didn''t fart!!!![;)]

[quote user="Happy little canary"]Hey no worrys everyone we''ll be signing John Terry after the world cup!!!!!hehehe[/quote][img]http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/tumbleweed.gif[/img]

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]why do people keep banging on about Whitbread?! FFS!!! Doc is proven at Championship level. Whitbread has just been a skinny mess for us so far. And also comments questioning the Docs distribution skills are laughable. He is good at passing, it baffles me why people cannot see this.
[/quote]

While I think Whitbread is a more than reasonable back up player, all this Whitbreads going to be the best thing since sliced bread is bull. He didn''t look that great last season and if hes still got fitness problems after a season of doing virtually nowt then that must be a concern.

If Whitbread was that good then why didn''t he play more last season?

The Docs release has shocked me cause he was a major part of this seasons success and has been one of best players ever since the 1st season after relegation from the Premiership. Those who attribute our 2 relegations largely to the Doc are being very blinkered. The great urban myths about the Doc being slow and generally cr*p were so far wide of the mark that it was painful listening to ignorant fans making these claims. I was saying on this forum all season to all the Doc knockers, tell me a better CB in this Division - Obviously after the Ginger Peles inclusion in the League 1 team of the season voted for by other League 1 players, my sentiments are shared by those who better than any of us!

I trust Lambert but like others have said whether you rated the Doc or not, its fact that he was one of our best players and certainly our best CB. Messrs Nelson, Askou and the done nothing but very over rated Whitbread look very threadbare at Championship level so I''d imagine (very much hope) that Lambert has a fresh CB lined up?

I know one thing, it would probably cost a lot of money to replace the Doc with a better player!

To summarise - I hope Whitbread improves to a level that is useful to Norwich City FC!

And a message to the Doc - Thanks for your full hearted performances for the club of which most of them were played at a very good level. The Doc has been good value for money, owes the club nothing and can hold his head up high and say he done well for the club!

I hope Lambert knows what hes doing cause releasing one of our best players is a massive call and I hope that the Doc doesn''t come back to haunt us!

It depends how many centre backs Lambert is going to sign. I would allow him to leave if we were to sign another 2 centre backs. With Askou, Whitbread, and the two signings, we would be fine in that position. Plus, Spillane can fill in. I think that Lambert likes him, so he won''t go, but I can''t see him being in our first team next season.

wrathsajoke wrote:

no-seen him there before and you know what hes like

Yes I do.

Player of the Season 2005-6

3rd place PotS 2008-9

Both in the Championship.

Strange one, with Culverhouse and Lambert coaching him, I have seen an improvement in his defensive duties and maybe he would have done better next season. But does this mean that we will have a bigger pot for next year to get some one else in?

SCREAM!

I could very loud when I hear or read someone saying that Whitbread is going to be the answer!

Hes done nothing so far, not looking that great when he played for us, has worrying long term injury niggles and if he was that great he''d of been playing last season!

For people to put him in front of the Doc, the outstanding in the 2nd half of the season Michael Nelson and even Askou, I find incredible!

I just hope that Lambert knows what hes doing cause releasing one of the clubs best players is a massive call!

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]rubbish player-pleased hes gone, proves we mean business next season[/quote]

There are some absolute pricks on this forum at the moment, but you have just raised the bar for ignorance to a whole new level.  

The blinkered ignorance of some fans has never failed to surprise me ever since my 1st ever visit to Carrow Road standing on railway sleepers in the pouring rain as a young child!

Never really been a massive Doc fan, but will admit that he has been better this year after being left out when Lambert arrived.

However, lets put a little bit of reality around this, Doc is out of contract, the last time he was out of contract he demanded a wage in excess of what he was worth, he was still given a bladey good contract, how do I know this, well unlike some who claim to have inside knowledge, I did have connections within the coaching staff pre-Lambert.

So, with him being on a lot of money, out of contract and no doubt wanting something similar, I think that there are players out there who we could get who will do a better job for less money. We have to trust Lambert and don''t be suprised if he already has someone lined up.

I posted the other day that Whitbread and Askou could well be our starting pair, people have very short memories when it comes to players, before getting injured Askou was consistent and looked solid and comfortable on the ball, yes he was poor against Carlisle but to be fair to him he hadn''t played much and if you watch the replay you will see that he got majorly exposed by a certain player being too far up the field who''s man then scored, that player was Doc. Lets not also forget that last year Doc was awful, yes a lot of players were but this guy was an international and played in the Prem blah, blah, blah. I ask all those that think that this is a stupid decision, when has Doc ever looked like an international or Prem league player since he has been here??

Now I''m not Doc bashing, but I am trying to look at this for what it is, someone whom Lambert is sure cannot cut it in the Championship or the Doc has asked for a big contract that he is not worth, we will never know the answer, but lets move on and trust Lambert as I can''t think of much that he has got wrong since he has been here!