Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

Caldwell ... Beevers ???Possibly someone most have never heard of for a nominal fee who turns out to be pretty good.

I bet this is down to the wages i bet hes on a high wage and i know for a fact creton was one of the highest paid players this season. Cant think of any other reason to get rid of doc he would have been a good back up player at least

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="freddyf105"]

**** this, how can we be keeping Nelson but releasing Doherty?! I''m not gonna ***king trust in lambert right now

[/quote] Come on freddy, look at the big picture. Yes he was great last season, but we know in the Championship he''ll face much better quality of striker. I''m not saying Nelson is any better - but at the end of the day, he''s got a contract. Perhaps one big, strong defender with his heart on his sleeve but with no pace, no positional sense and no ability going forwards is enough for Lambert?[/quote]

"no ability going forward"

So his late winning goal against Brighton (2 points won), goal against Colchester (tasted sweet), his goal against Huddersfield (killed the game), equaliser against Southampton, his goal to take us 2-1 up against Yeovil (1 point), and goal against Tranmere (sealed the win)  don''t count then?

He scored 6 goals this year, ffs, how much "ability" do you want a centre back to have "going forward". Personally I like my centre backs to spend 95% of the time in their own half. 6 goals in 46 games this season is a strike ratio of 1 in 7.66. Thats nearly as good as Stephen Elliott''s 1 in 5.

Some people really don''t want to present a logical argument do they? As it happens I don''t really want Doherty here either, but at least I would be able to present a positive and accurate argument.

[quote user="NCFC1"]I bet this is down to the wages i bet hes on a high wage and i know for a fact creton was one of the highest paid players this season. Cant think of any other reason to get rid of doc he would have been a good back up player at least[/quote] yeh but if it was why didn''t we just get rid of him last summer? Or why didn''t we reach a settlement for him to leave when he was dropped to the reserves?

At the best of times the Doc was a heroic figure. I could never think of associating him with the word ''solid'', like i could Adam Drury, but he had the passion and detrmination within him to go that extra mile in his efforts to keep the opposition at bay, and protect our goal from any threats that beared upon it.Personally, with regret i feel this is a good move by Lambert. Doherty had played a key part in two successive relegations, overseen our darkest times in football, his lack of assurance, more explicitly evident on his worst days, created a wave of anxiety amongst many fans that could never quite accustom themselves with his style of defending, and as captain i feel he is best forgotten, with him having presided over

the worst half of last season that led to our eventual relegation, and

our worst form under Paul Lambert. Whether you like it or not, the Doc is a very symbolic part of our past, and should be accounted for such as we look to the future under a new regime. The past is an elemental part of our hopes for progress, and Lambert will naturally look to release any potential baggage in that respect so as to maximise the potential of our club to head full steam into the higher echelons of English football. In this case Doherty is that baggage.As good a player he could be, he could never quite provide the bedrock someone of his experience would be expected, and to peril of previous regimes, was asked, to do. Doherty is very much his own man, and plays his own game. Some made more of what he was, whilst others made much less, but what is for certain is that he was a man made of the very simple ingredients of ''courage'' and ''passion'', and what those characteristics manifested into in his game made him into the player we all know him to be... A rather ''ambigous'' one.Whatever is to be said about him though, he undisputedly served this club well in many respects, and for that i will thank him as he finally departs from a long stay at Carrow Road. [Y]

(As for why the Doc is off whilst Nelson still remains, i should imagine Doherty is on a significantly higher wage packet than Nelson? Nelson''s contract still has another year on it, so it find it highly questionable whether it''s worth paying all that off now when we only have 3 senior central defenders?)

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.

[:(]
[/quote]

Will you keep the picture in honour of the Doc, Morty?

[/quote]

I shall indeed.

[:)]
[/quote]

In all seriousness really surprised by this. Really big call by Lambert. But if he isn''t convinced by him in the championship then fair play.  But best of luck to the Doc. Been a bloody star this season when he could have easily sacked the season off in about August and just taken the money.

[/quote]

To be honest I''d very much doubt it''s got anything to do with the Championship because looking at it Lambert will know what Doherty has done in the game. Afterall nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has.

My guess would be the money side of it or perhaps the Doc himself would like to leave on a high and have a fresh start at a new club while he''s still got a few years on his side.

[/quote]

"Nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has"

Really? Because I was under the impression that this was his first winners medal, and he has no individual honours that I can speak of. He played a handful of games at Spurs and got ridiculed as a result, he played in a very poor Ireland defence in an international team which never qualified for a major tournament whilst he played. In fact, this is his first ever promotion. In fact, he is probably one of the LEAST successful senior players in our squad. Please for the bloke to have won something, but now is the time for him to take that trip to the USA.

Adam Drury, on the other hand, has a Championship winners medal and a League One winners medal.

Paul McVeigh now has a Championship winners medal, a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase winners medal.

Chris Martin now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Michael Spillane now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Gary Holt now has two League One winners medals, and the League Two top scorer award.

Jamie Cureton has won several League One and League Two top scorer awards.

Matt Gill captained Exeter City to two consecutive promotions.

Stephen Hughes, I believe, possesses more than one Scottish Premier League winners medal.

Russell Martin now has two League One winners medals.

Wes Hoolohan has now won promotion from League One for the second time.

Now, you tell me what Gary Dohery has "achieved" other than being comically labelled the ''Ginger Pele'' after a handful of games for a, frankly, crap Spurs team. You sound just like those journalists who give bias coverage towards famous clubs. Oh thats Doherty, the former Spurs player, the only player... he once played in the premiership.... Norwich aint so rubbish afterall :/

Whitbread is better, period.

I think the decision to release the Doc is an absolute disgrace. An absolute disgrace. He''s came 3rd in our POTS vote for christs sake!! In a promotion winning season. I really am fuming. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for next season, along with Holt. He''s our best central defender FFS!I remember his first game away at Man Utd when he came on as a sub, and caused havoc in the air for the last 20 mins and then scored a few days later away at Newcastle. He has been a legend in my eyes ever since. His commitment to the club, his desire, his determination to the club, his mental strength is second to no-one. People were laughing earlier in the season when it looked like he was being let go, and he showed every single one of you who was laughing up as a complete mug by being our best defender this season. For me, as my favourite player, this decision is worse than Huckerby being released. A truly sad day for NCFC. Such a shame after yesterdays celebrations. There''s only one Gary Doherty.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.[:(][/quote]

[/quote]I shall indeed.[:)][/quote]

In all seriousness really surprised by this. Really big call by Lambert. But if he isn''t convinced by him in the championship then fair play.  But best of luck to the Doc. Been a bloody star this season when he could have easily sacked the season off in about August and just taken the money.

[/quote]

To be honest I''d very much doubt it''s got anything to do with the Championship because looking at it Lambert will know what Doherty has done in the game. Afterall nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has.

My guess would be the money side of it or perhaps the Doc himself would like to leave on a high and have a fresh start at a new club while he''s still got a few years on his side.

[/quote]

Really? Because I was under the impression that this was his first winners medal, and he has no individual honours that I can speak of. He played a handful of games at Spurs and got ridiculed as a result, he played in a very poor Ireland defence in an international team which never qualified for a major tournament whilst he played. In fact, this is his first ever promotion. In fact, he is probably one of the LEAST successful senior players in our squad. Please for the bloke to have won something, but now is the time for him to take that trip to the USA.

Adam Drury, on the other hand, has a Championship winners medal and a League One winners medal.

Paul McVeigh now has a Championship winners medal, a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase winners medal.

Michael Spillane now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Gary Holt now has two League One winners medals, and the League Two top scorer award.

Stephen Hughes, I believe, possesses more than one Scottish Premier League winners medal.

Now, you tell me what Gary Dohery has "achieved" other than being comically labelled the ''Ginger Pele'' after a handful of games for a, frankly, crap Spurs team. You sound just like those journalists who give bias coverage towards famous clubs. Oh thats Doherty, the former Spurs player, the only player... he once played in the premiership.... Norwich aint so rubbish afterall :/

[/quote]..... Well, supposing you can speak, that is not necessarily true.

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]I think the decision to release the Doc is an absolute disgrace. An absolute disgrace. He''s came 3rd in our POTS vote for christs sake!! In a promotion winning season.

I really am fuming. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for next season, along with Holt.

He''s our best central defender FFS!

I remember his first game away at Man Utd when he came on as a sub, and caused havoc in the air for the last 20 mins and then scored a few days later away at Newcastle. He has been a legend in my eyes ever since. His commitment to the club, his desire, his determination to the club, his mental strength is second to no-one.

People were laughing earlier in the season when it looked like he was being let go, and he showed every single one of you who was laughing up as a complete mug by being our best defender this season.

For me, as my favourite player, this decision is worse than Huckerby being released.

A truly sad day for NCFC. Such a shame after yesterdays celebrations.

There''s only one Gary Doherty.

[/quote]

I fully agree and am absolutely gutted.

Worse then Hucks ??? Are you sure about that ! Yeh he has had a good season but he''s proven to come up a bit short in the championship. Heard good things about Whitbread so i hope Lamberts going to sign someone to partner him at the back because im not convinced Nelson & Askou are going to cut it at championship level ! Hoping for Caldwell or DeMerit etc !!!

Completely agree. It''ll be a joke if Nelson plays next season. He''s good in the air but that''s it. He''s slow, terrible on the ball and pretty poor attacking. Well compared to Doc anyway. I heard he was second top wages, on £5 or 6 grand? Anyway, Lambert has obviously got plans, and I''d bet good ones. Askou and Whitbread are clearly decent, and maybe even someone better might come in?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''m disappointed but I trust Lambert knows what he''s doing.  It''s likely to be about wages as much as anything.[/quote]My thoughts too. [Y]

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]I think the decision to release the Doc is an absolute disgrace. An absolute disgrace. He''s came 3rd in our POTS vote for christs sake!! In a promotion winning season.

I really am fuming. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for next season, along with Holt.

He''s our best central defender FFS!

I remember his first game away at Man Utd when he came on as a sub, and caused havoc in the air for the last 20 mins and then scored a few days later away at Newcastle. He has been a legend in my eyes ever since. His commitment to the club, his desire, his determination to the club, his mental strength is second to no-one.

People were laughing earlier in the season when it looked like he was being let go, and he showed every single one of you who was laughing up as a complete mug by being our best defender this season.

For me, as my favourite player, this decision is worse than Huckerby being released.

A truly sad day for NCFC. Such a shame after yesterdays celebrations.

There''s only one Gary Doherty.

[/quote]

Get a grip!

You seriously need help from some of those statements,caused havoc in the air against Man Who & Legend!?

Onwards & upwards!

I would say if Doherty is to be released, it would be fair to say that Lambert will be looking to strengthen at the back. Like him or not Doherty will be a big hole in the squad to fill.

Lets just wait to see what unfolds before making judgement shall we. Has Lambert given any reason to doubt his decisions yet?

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]Worse then Hucks ??? Are you sure about that ! Yeh he has had a good season but he''s proven to come up a bit short in the championship. Heard good things about Whitbread so i hope Lamberts going to sign someone to partner him at the back because im not convinced Nelson & Askou are going to cut it at championship level ! Hoping for Caldwell or DeMerit etc !!![/quote]Yes I am sure. What are you talking about?! How could he not cut it in the Championship? He''s proven there. He played in the Premier League and defended well, and scored goals for us. Many clubs will absolutely want to snap him up. I honestly feel totally dejected.

[quote user="Gazza"]

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]I think the decision to release the Doc is an absolute disgrace. An absolute disgrace. He''s came 3rd in our POTS vote for christs sake!! In a promotion winning season. I really am fuming. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for next season, along with Holt. He''s our best central defender FFS!I remember his first game away at Man Utd when he came on as a sub, and caused havoc in the air for the last 20 mins and then scored a few days later away at Newcastle. He has been a legend in my eyes ever since. His commitment to the club, his desire, his determination to the club, his mental strength is second to no-one. People were laughing earlier in the season when it looked like he was being let go, and he showed every single one of you who was laughing up as a complete mug by being our best defender this season. For me, as my favourite player, this decision is worse than Huckerby being released. A truly sad day for NCFC. Such a shame after yesterdays celebrations. There''s only one Gary Doherty.

[/quote]

Get a grip!

You seriously need help from some of those statements,caused havoc in the air against Man Who & Legend!?

Onwards & upwards!

[/quote]Your a moron. Did you watch the Man U away game? Stop making such glib, ignorant comments and think before you post. He IS a Norwich legend.

BBJ I''d go along with what you said about Doc - your long post in suuport of the decision despite how he''s played this season. If Lambert wants to improve the squad, it takes money and Doc must have been one of the higher earners. A disappointment considering his overall performance this season but nowadays we cannot afford to be nostalgic with football being run as business operation.

why do people keep banging on about Whitbread?! FFS!!! Doc is proven at Championship level. Whitbread has just been a skinny mess for us so far. And also comments questioning the Docs distribution skills are laughable. He is good at passing, it baffles me why people cannot see this.

I''m looking at this as a postive move.There will be players available who are top 6 quality, and Lambert is obviously backing himself to recruit one of them as a centre back, resigning the Doc would have been the easy option, he can do a job in the Championship but lets face it, he''d be a weak link at any of the teams finishing in the top 6 this season, if that''s where we want to be, this is the right move.Thanks for the 6 years though  Doc.

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]He IS a Norwich legend. [/quote]I can vouch for this one. [Y]

what youve got to think is that doc has been on premiership wages and been average at best untill league one were i admit hes come good, but paying prem wages for a player who only shines in league one doesnt make sense.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.

[:(]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I shall indeed.

[:)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How many of those players you name have won player of the season?

and the last comment is laughable, better at what? claiming his wages for sitting on the injury table

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Glenn Foy"]He IS a Norwich legend. [/quote]I can vouch for this one. [Y][/quote]Exactly. :)

Lets just wait and see what happens. Lambert may have a player lined up who is better than doherty and therefore making all these comments look stupid. Lets just wait and see what happens and keep all this disgrace nonsense under wraps until we know what the full outcome will be.

Surprising move, but as mentioned we dont know the fine details, his wages may be a bit too high for Lamberts liking. I can only hope that the hype surrounding Whitbread is justified.Either way, best of luck to the Doc