Since he joined us, I have tried my best to see the positive things in his performances and now I have given up on him. I can see why Posh dumped him from their Championship team.

He does not add value, can only offer a simple pass to someone in a poorer position and just jockey''s the opposition without ever stealing the ball or cutting out a cross. When he does cross the half way line and attacks and does provide the final delivery - it is poor.

Spillane any day of the week for me.

think thats a bit unfair on Martin but would have Spillane over him because of his attacking abilities. anyone know why Spillane wasnt in the squad yesterday, is he injured like Nelson or just left out?

Yeah but if anyone saw any of our players play at Leyton Orient and stupidly judged them all on that one match you''d never want to see them play for us again.

I don''t think Russell Martin will be good enough for the Championship.  I think he''s better than Otsemobor because he doesn''t go missing for 30 minutes every match, but he''s not got the distribution or crossing ability I think we need.

I was quite content when we signed him and he is no disaster by any means, but to be a good championship team we need better than him in that position, albeit he would be a competent understudy

Still don''t understand all the criticism of Russell Martin.

Much better player than Spillane.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I completely agree and I don''t know why this thread has come up now. I thought Russell Martin had a competent game and if any of the defenders were poor yesterday it was Drury.

i have never seen drury have a bad game. he has had a few games games that are not up to his normal standards but never a bad game!

[quote user="Docs Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I completely agree and I don''t know why this thread has come up now. I thought Russell Martin had a competent game and if any of the defenders were poor yesterday it was Drury.

[/quote]

As I''ve said on here before...Paul Lambert will play the younger lads if they''re good enough - for example Chris Martin and Korey Smith.

So from that you''d have to assume that if Spillane is the best option at right back then the manager will pick him as his first choice there.

I think Spillane has a bit to learn to be honest, but I do rate him and he definitely has a future.Could the fact that Russel martin gets put under more pressure when playing in the diamond be a factor here? Perhaps in 4-4-2 he would look better? Maybe because the left side of Drury and Lappin is all the more solid it makes the right side look weak by comparison?

Russell Martin is very poor. He is a slightly better defender than Otsemobor, but has struggled in League 1 this season. Unfortunately we have to keep him next season due to his contract, as I doubt anyone will try and buy him off us.

I would guess he will be back up to a new signing in the summer

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]Russell Martin is very poor. He is a slightly better defender than Otsemobor, but has struggled in League 1 this season. Unfortunately we have to keep him next season due to his contract, as I doubt anyone will try and buy him off us. I would guess he will be back up to a new signing in the summer[/quote]

Why is he very poor? This is often said by some idiots on here but where is the evidence. I would pick him over Spillane every day of  the week and I''m just glad Lambert doesn''t share some of the views on here.

This critiscism of Russell Martin is a bit over the top!

Martins certainly no superstar player but hes consistent like steady Eddy - Edworthy was a few years back.

With Spillane and Francomb behind him who can play RB, I''d say that positions well catered for.

The grass isn''t greener - look at the likes of Jurgen Colin and Tomas Helveg a few years ago.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"]

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]Russell Martin is very poor. He is a slightly better defender than Otsemobor, but has struggled in League 1 this season. Unfortunately we have to keep him next season due to his contract, as I doubt anyone will try and buy him off us. I would guess he will be back up to a new signing in the summer[/quote]

Why is he very poor? This is often said by some idiots on here but where is the evidence. I would pick him over Spillane every day of  the week and I''m just glad Lambert doesn''t share some of the views on here.

[/quote]

Why doesn''t he feature in your team for next season?

Today, 12:46 PM

Doc''s Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence is not online. Last active: 09/05/2010 11:26:26 Doc''s Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence

Not Ranked
Joined on 14/12/2009
River End (It''s Poo There!)
Posts 297

Team next season

Reply Quote

For a decent go at the play-offs next season I think we need a team similar to this.

Forster

Wright?   Doherty   Whitbread   Drury/Spurr?

Russell

Abdou?                   Bailey? 

Hoolahan

Ambrose?            Lita?            

Subs: Rudd, Askou, Smith, Lappin, McNamee, C Martin, Holt

Don''t  think Holt will be very prolific next year ashe won''t be able to batter his way through defences as much and Martin is half the player without Holt so I think two quality Championship strikers are key. Don''t think Martin or Spillane will be up to it next year so Wright from Ipswich would be a good shout. Not sure how well Drury will cope so Spurr could be drafted in as backup. A creative midfielder like Bailey is crucial and another solid, strong Russell-like midfielder in the shape of Abdou wouldn''t hurt. I think Korey could be a very good player to bring off the bench to add a bit of energy later on in the game, same with McNamee.

Meh!He is a MUCH better player than Semi.. take yesterday for example how many times did he come forward just when needed and start the build up play?I never see him get skinned.And Spillane has looked turd each time I''ve seen him this year. And was the one player who would have cost us our win at Charlton.

[quote user="Clean Shirt"]Far better than semaphore not good enough for champ. FACT. Now stop being a whining cunt[/quote]You don''t know that, nobody does.Just because he wasn''t good enough in the Peterboro team doesn''t mean that, under better coaching, he won''t be good enough for us.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Clean Shirt"]Far better than semaphore not good enough for champ. FACT. Now stop being a whining cunt[/quote]You don''t know that, nobody does.Just because he wasn''t good enough in the Peterboro team doesn''t mean that, under better coaching, he won''t be good enough for us.[/quote]Morty you obviously haven''t upgraded your PinkUn filter to the new Championship version. It''s pretty good it filters out when muppet posters claim their opinions are FACT. I do miss the comedy side of it though [;)]

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Clean Shirt"]Far better than semaphore not good enough for champ. FACT. Now stop being a whining cunt[/quote]You don''t know that, nobody does.Just because he wasn''t good enough in the Peterboro team doesn''t mean that, under better coaching, he won''t be good enough for us.[/quote]Morty you obviously haven''t upgraded your PinkUn filter to the new Championship version. It''s pretty good it filters out when muppet posters claim their opinions are FACT. I do miss the comedy side of it though [;)][/quote]If only such a thing existed lol.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

This critiscism of Russell Martin is a bit over the top!

Martins certainly no superstar player but hes consistent like steady Eddy - Edworthy was a few years back.

With Spillane and Francomb behind him who can play RB, I''d say that positions well catered for.

The grass isn''t greener - look at the likes of Jurgen Colin and Tomas Helveg a few years ago.

[/quote]

Eddy would regularly get forward and deliver a good final ball, Martin`s delivery is very inconsistant, that would worry me for next season cos we will need to make the most of our oppertunities. We have wasted a lot of chances this season but have not been punished because of good defending plus very poor quality opposition at times, it will be very frustrating if we blow lots of oppertunities next season.

I think he''s a competent full back. Definitely for me, worth keeping around for the squad. Would he be my first choice in the Champ? Not sure myself. I''d be calling David Wright, who I think is a very good Championship player asap if I were Lambert. And while he''s at it, I''d also give Alex Bruce a ring.

[quote user="morty"]I think Spillane has a bit to learn to be honest, but I do rate him and he definitely has a future.Could the fact that Russel martin gets put under more pressure when playing in the diamond be a factor here? Perhaps in 4-4-2 he would look better? Maybe because the left side of Drury and Lappin is all the more solid it makes the right side look weak by comparison?

[/quote]Agree with this, he is a solid defender but does get exposed because invaribly he faces two players if the other side line up in a traditional 4-4-2. I would like to see him take his man on every so often, he does seem reluctant to venture forward.

Russell Martin struggled to get into one of the worst championship squads in quite some time.....lets not expect miracles next season.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Russell Martin struggled to get into one of the worst championship squads in quite some time.....lets not expect miracles next season.[/quote]Maybe if they had played him they wouldn''t have been spanked to often!

I don''t think he''s anywhere near good enough, and I dont think Drury is either IF WE CONTINUE TO PLAY THE DIAMOND.I hope Lambert strengthens both full back positions over the summer.

seriously he is so average, most of the time he does nothing and nothing wrong but thats not good enough. Hes not going to add anything to our team net year and spillane is such a better option, stronger,faster,taller,more comfortable on the ball, better going forward, plays it simple and picks the right pass more often.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yeah but if anyone saw any of our players play at Leyton Orient and stupidly judged them all on that one match you''d never want to see them play for us again.
[/quote]

apart from that was just one example of poor performance, name me one game where youve gone away thinking god yeah he was awesome today. So its not a stupid judgement. And finally why were pboro so eager to get rid of him as they already had a very poor defence in the champ and couldnt make it into their team?

[quote user="City penguin"]seriously he is so average, most of the time he does nothing and nothing wrong but thats not good enough. Hes not going to add anything to our team net year and spillane is such a better option, stronger,faster,taller,more comfortable on the ball, better going forward, plays it simple and picks the right pass more often.[/quote]

Well Spillane probably is a little taller than Russell Martin. You''ve probably got that bit right.

As for the rest of it....deary me. Especially the bit about Spillane being faster, that really does show that you don''t know what you''re talking about.