Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

How good are our Scouts and who are they now

Most Championship clubs will not be spending a great deal in the future, like government spending we will all be cutting back for years to come.This makes the quality of a clubs scouting system invaluable. This used to be an area of strength for us, not just bring through youngplayers which seems to be back on track but spotting the many bargains out there. There are a lot of smaller clubs doing well /surviving in the championship who have picked up some real talent for next to nothing such as scunthorpe with sharpe then hooper, Doncaster with Stock and Blackpool with Adams and before that hoolahan and gorks

You are right - this summer is about smart acquisitions of hungry players who improve the team and complement the squad,  not just emerging players but also those more experienced players looking for a new lease of life at a new club and wanting to succeed;  the likes of McKenzie falls in to the first group while Svennson and Huckerby fall into the latter group.

Equally as important is spotting youth early and developing it, and with Smith and Martin we are not doing too badly ourselves right now.

And with Rudd, Spillane, Dawkins, Adeyemi & Francomb all looking to fulfill the promise they have things are looking promising. 

didnt i read somewhere last week that a new chief scout was going to be announced in the coming days? have i missed this announcement or we still waiting? anybody any ideas who it is?

Totally agree with Yorkshire Canary on this one. As has been said earlier their won''t be too much money floating around so we have to be canny in the transfer market. Lambert has now managed in league 2 and league 1 for about 3 years or so. Hopefully this means that by now he is aware of who the outstanding players in these leagues are, who could potentially make the step up.

Lambert has done incredibly well this season as a motivator and a tactician. The only area I am still slightly sceptical about is the transfer market. Forster has been an awesome signing and I had never heard of him until before he signed. I think Russell Martin has been a decent signing. However I am yet to be convinced about whether Oli and McNamee will be good enough. But then again I guess if 50% of your signings work out that isn''t actually too bad a ratio.

good post, i think this where Lambert will come into his own .

look how much he has got out of the current squad .

when you see the like of keanes spending and Ipswich standing in the league with what teams like Blackpool and Leicester have done i believe anything is possible.

Hopefully the trend of bringing in young hungry players will continue .

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Most Championship clubs will not be spending a great deal in the future, like government spending we will all be cutting back for years to come.This makes the quality of a clubs scouting system invaluable. This used to be an area of strength for us, not just bring through youngplayers which seems to be back on track but spotting the many bargains out there. There are a lot of smaller clubs doing well /surviving in the championship who have picked up some real talent for next to nothing such as scunthorpe with sharpe then hooper, Doncaster with Stock and Blackpool with Adams and before that hoolahan and gorks[/quote]

Adam cost the Seasiders about £500k, but the rest I agree with.

[quote user="singing canary"]good post, i think this where Lambert will come into his own . look how much he has got out of the current squad . when you see the like of keanes spending and Ipswich standing in the league with what teams like Blackpool and Leicester have done i believe anything is possible. Hopefully the trend of bringing in young hungry players will continue .[/quote]

I agree and that is why, as I said in a previous thread, most speculation on here is pointless because his signings will be unexpected and in many cases unknown,

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]didnt i read somewhere last week that a new chief scout was going to be announced in the coming days? have i missed this announcement or we still waiting? anybody any ideas who it is?
[/quote]

Delia said a new scout would be announced soon

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

Totally agree with Yorkshire Canary on this one. As has been said earlier their won''t be too much money floating around so we have to be canny in the transfer market. Lambert has now managed in league 2 and league 1 for about 3 years or so. Hopefully this means that by now he is aware of who the outstanding players in these leagues are, who could potentially make the step up.

[/quote]

It doesn''t necessarily work like that though - Peter Grant thought he had found a few gems in the Scottish leagues, and we know how that turned out, Lappin excepted.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

It doesn''t necessarily work like that though - Peter Grant thought he had found a few gems in the Scottish leagues, and we know how that turned out, Lappin excepted.

[/quote]

There is a difference for me. I said outstanding players in the division i.e. those who are playing regularly and to a consistently high standard. When in reality with the exception of Lappin none of the Scottish contingent were playing particularly well when Grant signed them. Ian Murray had been dogged by reactive athritis for quite some time and it meant he didnt play a great deal for Rangers. Meanwhile Fotheringham had been dumped by some medicore team in Switzerland and Brellier had lost his place in the Hearts for over a year by the time we signed him.

They aren''t to good they haven''t spotted me yet.