Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

defence next season

In January my first choice back four for the 2010/11 season would have been Drury, Askou, Whitbread and Spillane. This was based on the form Askou showed before breaking his foot and the rave reviews people were giving Zak Whitbread. (Whether many supporters had ever actually seen him play and were just going on media reports is open to debate.)

However if assess the back four on current form I stand by my choice of full backs but as things stand (there could be signings etc) Nelson and Doherty should quite rightly be our first choice central defensive partnership. Askou has clearly picked up a serious injury as we have not seen him since about November so who knows how he will perform when he eventually gets fit. As for Whitbread, I am sure there is a classy player there but from what I have seen so far his performances do not warrant him being selected ahead of Nelson. Against Stockport Nelson was a bailing him out a fair amount.

So in summary I think Askou and Whitbread have the most ability, but on current form Doherty and Nelson should be starters for next season.

[quote user="city till i die"]Would anybody consider playing 3 at the back next season. doc, askou and nelson. With zak, spillane as back up or visa versa??[/quote]

could work but what would that make the rest of the formation? we couldnt play our diamond with it? so it would have to be 3-5-2

3-5-2 could be diamond.

1--2--3

5         6         7 

9      10

I''m not too keen on 3 defenders, I think it leaves us too vulnerable down the wings and on the counter. The foundations of any good team these days seems to be a solid back 4 with  5 in midfield.

I''m afraid only the best teams in the world can play with 3 at the back, so for me, we should try it against Bristol Rovers and Carlisle.[;)]

Myths oh myths!

If Whitbread is that good then he''d already be in the team!

From what I''ve seen of him hes got to step up a few gears to become better than our 1st choice CB''s Doc and Nelson who''ve been very good for much of this season!

That said if we keep the 4 CB''s we''ve got for next season then we won''t be to far out in that department!