Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Away Attendance Stats

Using the official away attendances i''ve compiled a list of our away crowds and worked out the average following.Exeter (1,058)

Brentford (1,850)Hartlepool (832)

M.K.Dons (1,525)

Gillingham (1,434)

Carlisle (1,014)

Leeds (1,256)

Stockport (1,222)

Southampton (2,205)

Southend (1,957)

Yeovil (1,015)

Wycombe (2,300)

Colchester (1,946)

Walsall (1,365)

Millwall (2,865)

Brighton (894)

Oldham (1,455)

Huddersfield (2,929)

Swindon (2,826)Tranmere (1,017)L. Orient (3,038)Charlton (3,200)Total (39,203)Average (1,782)With Bristol Rovers to come where I think our allocation is about 1,800.Amazing stats, we''ve taken at least a 1,000 to every game bar Hartlepool & Brighton where we were limited due to allocation, imagine if we''d been given bigger allocations at Colchester, Orient & Charlton to name just a few.

[quote user="birchfest"]I think we would have had more at Leeds if it hadnt been moved to a monday night and put on TV.[/quote]Same with Mk dons, we could have taken 4000?

Back then it was all so cheap to do!Back to this season, it''s such a commendable effort for us that have travelled all over this season, all very worthwhile too, must be the best in L1.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]in 1946 our average away attendance was 11,000 (source Canary Citizens)[/quote]

No, that''s got to be wrong ! I just don''t believe that. No flipping way !  Are you sure you''re not talking about our home attendance ?

[quote user="marvin the martian"]The war had just ended, how could that may people have travelled to away games ? Most men were still on active service anyway. Must be home attendances.[/quote]

Clearly a made up stat. Back in the day you just turned up, picked a gate, paid your way in. No segregation, no tickets, no way of knowing a home supporter from an away one.

Cambridge Canary, you could have gotten away with the 11,000 if you''d have said 1971-72 since that was heading into our first trip ever to Division 1, or the following year where we were there. 1946 is too close the the end of WWII when spending money to attend away football matches was the last thing on most people''s minds.

[quote user="GUcanary"]Back then it was all so cheap to do!

Back to this season, it''s such a commendable effort for us that have travelled all over this season, all very worthwhile too, must be the best in L1.

[/quote]

I would have thought Leeds would be a bit higher

I believe our average is up 500 on last season, I think many of us Norwich fans have forgot what if feels like to have a decent away record in a season. I think most of us must have a poor record of following Norwich in the last 5 years, mine is 4 wins in 19 games.

Their wasn''t any segregation until the early mid 70''s, so in 1946 you wouldn''t of been able to calculate the away support!

Great figures from Norwich fans yet again!

Remember that most Norwich fans travelling out of East Anglia have to travel to most away games for over an hour on cr*ppy roads. Most other clubs are situated down the spine of the Country where all the motorways are and a lot of grounds would be within 1-2 hours drive if not shorter in many cases!

I''ve been meaning to work out how many miles I have covered this season.I''ve been to 15 away games (including this Saturday''s trip to Bristol) and travelled to all by car (mine every time!)from the Wymondham Area. I''ve taken a few different routes which I have put into my additions.Overall I will have travelled 2572 miles this season. Interesting to know how many those that have been to every game have covered.

My away record is shocking...P 23 W 1 D4 L18Still couldn''t get an away win this year....Yeovil, Millwall, SwindonThe only time I''ve ever seen us win away was our last promotion campaign vs Reading, mulryne''s off the ref''s back

[quote user="farley"]I''ve been meaning to work out how many miles I have covered this season.I''ve been to 15 away games (including this Saturday''s trip to Bristol) and travelled to all by car (mine every time!)from the Wymondham Area. I''ve taken a few different routes which I have put into my additions.Overall I will have travelled 2572 miles this season. Interesting to know how many those that have been to every game have covered.[/quote] [:$] Been a complete idiot, this is only the cumulative total of the distances. I haven''t allowed for the return journeys.Total mileage = 5144

In the early 80''s I went to every away game for 2 years.  We won away at West Ham on the first day of the first season.  We didn''t win away again for the whole of that season or the entire season that followed.  We finally won away again at Everton on the first away tripof the season that followed. I gave up at that point and didn''t start going away again regularly until the wonderful days of the early 1990''s.I have been travelling away on and off again ever since, but Charlton this season was only the 3rd time in nearly 30 years that I have seen City win a League game in London.

Live near Sheffield and had a home & Away season ticket for over ten yrs. Prob do around 12000 per year in my car!

Worth it this year though

[quote user="The Lord"]My away record is shocking...P 23 W 1 D4 L18Still couldn''t get an away win this year....Yeovil, Millwall, SwindonThe only time I''ve ever seen us win away was our last promotion campaign vs Reading, mulryne''s off the ref''s back[/quote]

Lord... maybe you should just never leave home again. Then we will all be happy!

Think you can add a few hundred onto the ColU figure too as there were loads of us in the home end [:)]

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]in 1946 our average away attendance was 11,000 (source Canary Citizens)[/quote]That''s based on the actual crowd figures, including home supporters, not just away fans! Not that many fans went to away games in those days as money was scarce.

It was not the scarcity of money otherwise home gates would have been far lower. It was the practicality. Most people worked saturday mornings. My abiding memory of watching games way, way back was blokes coming to games in their work clobber.

Without cars or even a suitable road network it would have meant train journeys, something again that would not have been possible with the limited direct routes.

As to our numbers I would point out that we do have an execeptonally high number of fans who have moved away and will attend games when City play locally.

But wherever our fans do travel from on the day it is still a massive thumbs up to them all - and a big source of pride. More so when on more than one occasion I have had to sit amongst the home fans to get in and have had to stop myself from joining in with the support.

So it''s goodbye to the friendly little stadiums of this season and onwards and upwards to the numerous shiney new, plastic stadia of the championship.

In a funny way I''ll miss this league if only for those grounds. Favourite has to be Yeovil on a balmy summer''s eve. Being allowed outside at halftime to sit on the grass and have a fag.

Went to Leeds and our support was pathetic. Thats where BIG clubs turn up in numbers.

[quote user="City1st"] In a funny way I''ll miss this league if only for those grounds. Favourite has to be Yeovil on a balmy summer''s eve. Being allowed outside at halftime to sit on the grass and have a fag.[/quote]Walsall on a freezing Tuesday night in January, dreadful pitch. dreadful game and limited facilities but standing amongst the Y''army away from home makes it all worth it, especially when we score 2 late goals to win it.

[quote user="coops"]Went to Leeds and our support was pathetic. Thats where BIG clubs turn up in numbers.[/quote]I went too, but it was a Monday night live on Sky, we were never going to fill it.