Sign in to follow this  
Superflash

Are we strong enough for the Championship?

Right, we''re promoted as Champions and by all accounts we''re going to have some real momentum going into the new season. We''ve taken League One by storm and even without the immense capitulation of Leeds'' title hopes I''d still say we''d have been comfortably promoted (at the least) on the basis of our record under Paul Lambert. However, last time in the Championship we were relegated. Granted, this was under a regime which has since been shuffled, rebuilt and is now much stronger. Financially we are still in a mess, but the measures are at least in place to get us out of the rut and keep us stable for the time being. In terms of the playing staff, and this is the same for every club in the country in every division, they will want to strengthen for the new season. Many of you want to see us retain the players from this particular squad and give them a chance in a higher division in addition to some new signings to help them out, which indeed Paul Lambert has said he would like to do. But are the current players up to the job? We''ve seen Leicester City do this and in some style too, but are we as good as that Leicester team? Are we just a couple of signings away from mounting a similar play-off challenge? Never mind the play-offs, have we got a group of players ready to make the step up?Purely for the purposes of debate, and not necessarily my own opinion (actually, I think pretty much all of the names below could cut it in the Championship), here are some players regularly talked about on the forum, sometimes with negative tones, sometimes with high praise. Let''s take a look at them.Adam DruryIs he ready to play Championship football again? He''s got the experience factor, but he has struggled in the past couple of seasons with injuries. Will he be able to match the psychical requirements needed to be dependable enough at this level once again?Michael NelsonGood enough to be a Championship defender? Has earned high praise recently for his performances including two of the most historic goals in the clubs history. But is he good enough to cope with some of the strikers plying their trade in the division above? Stephen HughesHasn''t exactly set the world alight and during the Gillingham game in particular he seemed to be easily shrugged off the ball and didn''t create much in midfield. To be fair he has had to battle some niggling injuries, but will that be good enough for the Championship where the pace and physicality is much more prominent?Grant HoltTop scorer and potential player of the season, our new personal jesus and a tremendous signing. Also has Championship experience, but recently has plied his trade in the leagues below. Recently it has also come to light that he''s been battling an injury for some of the season. He did well last season in League Two and successfully made the step up to League One, but can he do it AGAIN in a higher league next term, or will it simply be too much to ask? Gary DohertyHas had his best season at the club by miles, with much more solid displays at the back, more clean sheets with the back-line and even notching up a few more goals than usual. But is this due to him finding his level in League One? If that''s the case, is he ready for a return to the Championship?Wes HoolahanI''ve repeatedly mentioned the more psychical nature of Championship football. Can he stand up to this? He had the odd good spell during our last Championship season, but it wasn''t enough to keep us safe. This season he''s been a revelation, but is this another case of a player finding their true level? Is he too good for League One, but not good enough to make a significant enough impact in the Championship?Chris Martin Like Holt, Martin was in League 2 last season but has made the transition to League One in some style, scoring plenty of goals and producing some great finishing. But can he make the step up for a third season in a row? Just recently on the forums people have said they think he doesn''t give as much to the cause as other players such as Holt. Will that show next season?

Again, the above comments are meant to seem negative, but they are intended to get some debate going. And again, these aren''t necessarily my views and I''ll add more of those personal views as the thread goes on. Just trying to get some decent discussion going. It''ll be intersting to possibly review this thread during next season to see how this has come to pass.Happy debating!

I think Hughes will play a much larger part in the team next season like he did earlier this season but if we want to be play-off contenders not yet but I have all the faith in Lambert to work his magic in the summer to change.

Stephen Hughes'' level is at Championship level and has more experience at that level than most. Also, I expect Chris Martin to score more goals next season than Holt...

[quote user="Superflash"]Michael NelsonGood enough to be a Championship defender? Has earned high praise recently for his performances including two of the most historic goals in the clubs history. But is he good enough to cope with some of the strikers plying their trade in the division above? [/quote]are you serious?

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Superflash"]
Michael Nelson

Good enough to be a Championship defender? Has earned high praise recently for his performances including two of the most historic goals in the clubs history. But is he good enough to cope with some of the strikers plying their trade in the division above?

[/quote]

are you serious?
[/quote]

He scored the goal that secured promotion and the goal that sealed the title - I think that''s what Superflash means.   

[quote user="Mazy Run"]

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Superflash"]Michael NelsonGood enough to be a Championship defender? Has earned high praise recently for his performances including two of the most historic goals in the clubs history. But is he good enough to cope with some of the strikers plying their trade in the division above? [/quote]are you serious?[/quote]

He scored the goal that secured promotion and the goal that sealed the title - I think that''s what Superflash means.   

[/quote]Yeah, basically. I meant historic in terms of recent historical context, not in terms of quality or overall importance.Yeah...maybe could''ve worded it better [:P]

I think if we can build a good spine to the team and bring in a quality GK, CB, CM and ST and offload some of the deadwood, I think we can work with what we''ve got. A loan signing here and there during the season to account for injuries and keep players hungry should do the job too.

I think how we''ve been this season we''d of been capable of a top half finish in the championship!

Yes the next Division up is better but not that special and minus Newcastle, West Brom and another good team out of the play offs being replaced by the likes of Portsmouth, Burnley and Hull, will be weaker.

Remember we only got relegated through bad board room decisions like managerial appointments and the diasterous loan policy. Even then we still had more than enough to of stayed up had better decisions been made to reverse the bad ones!

If we replace 4-5 fringe players with players good enough to do a job in the Championship then I think we could be capable of doing what Leicester have done this season!

One big advantage in our favour - Paul Lambert!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I think how we''ve been this season we''d of been capable of a top half finish in the championship!

Yes the next Division up is better but not that special and minus Newcastle, West Brom and another good team out of the play offs being replaced by the likes of Portsmouth, Burnley and Hull, will be weaker.

Remember we only got relegated through bad board room decisions like managerial appointments and the diasterous loan policy. Even then we still had more than enough to of stayed up had better decisions been made to reverse the bad ones!

If we replace 4-5 fringe players with players good enough to do a job in the Championship then I think we could be capable of doing what Leicester have done this season!

One big advantage in our favour - Paul Lambert!

[/quote]Lambert is the key factor in all of this it seems, and with good reason. Who knows what would''ve happened had Lambert been appointed earlier with the previous group of players.I do however think the Championship will be much stronger next season than people give it credit for. Whoever doesn''t go up in the play offs will almost certainly be challenging for them again and make it difficult. Traditionally clubs that come down from the Premier League get off to a decent enough start, so I can see Burnley, Portsmouth and Hull getting on well depending on how they cope with their off field affairs. Elsewhere I expect Reading and Boro to fair well next term, Reading due to their recent revival and Boro because I think Strachan will have a much better second season. Also, I expect much improved seasons from Sheffield United and Preston. The basic key is bringing in a few players who can add to the current squad but also help keep it sustainable enough to actually stand toe to toe with these teams. It partially depends on how strong they are going into the new season. We''ve already got an advantage over them in the coaching stakes and our board is as secure as it has been for ages now.

I would like to see quality rather than quantity.

First priority is GK. Hopefully Forster will stay on for another year.

Second priority is a commanding striker as back up for or to play alongside Holt. I would go for a young, hungry player like Richard Brodie at York or the like. If Eliot is not kept on, then another experienced, pacey striker would also be needed.

Third priority would be a creative midfielder who can play on the wing or in the hole behind the strikers Wes style in the diamond. I think Gill will be kept on as cover for Russell and he can play in other MF positions as well, while not costing much. It would seem that OTJ is on his way out, unless he has been injured (explaining why he has not even been included for reserve games).

The defence seems settled and strong to me and the above priorities take preference IMO. If Rose and/or Wiggins are not kept on, then another back-up for Drury would be needed, and Ian Harte could be a possibility. His goal-scoring record could be very useful in the CCC.

Think Doc, Rusty, Hoolahan and Holt are the 4 most able to make the step up to a mid-table/potential play off champ side. Martin, macnamee and a few others have a lot of potential but are by no means sure things.

To my mind, we need 4 or 5 players but need to make sure we keep the core from this season and give Nelson, martin et al a chance to prove they can make the grade before replacing them.