Sign in to follow this  
Essex_Canary

Vote Grant Holt player of the season

Felt the need to write this cos I am worried there will be a repeat of 2004 when Hucks scandelously missed out on the Barry Butler trophy because for some reason people opted to vote for Craig Fleming. Huckerby won the league player of the year, and yet didnt even manage to pick up the club award!!!

I accept this year that there are a number of players who more than deserve the award, especially when compared to the likes of Lee Croft and Andy FlapFlap manage to win it, but like in 2004 there is only one player who we simply could not have done without this year and thats Grant Holt. Regardless of the fact that he has played through the pain barrier with an ankle injury for the entire season and yet still has managed to score thirty goals this season, he has led from the front and his work rate up top has created space and goals for the likes of Hoolahan and C.Martin.

The main competition to him winning seems to come from Wes Hoolahan, Fraser Forster and Gary Doherty. With Wes I can see the arguement, there simply is no other player in the league who can do what he has done this year, but for all his magic he has also had quieter times and nulified but he would fully deserve the award if he won it. With Forster he has been superb (and speaking as a fellow member of the ''keepers union he has improved so much), but my arguement would be that he has been so well protected for the first half of the season by a back four and darel russell against mediocre league one attacks, that its only really been the last couple of months that he has shone out - and what is freshest in the mind is what may sway the vote!

With Doc as with Forster the other arguement is that were they irreplaceable? Rudd has done well when called upon and whilst he has not been up to Forsters standard he hasn''t let anyone down or been found wanting. If the Doc had missed out would Askou, Nelson, Whitbread or Spillane not done nearly as good a job? The fact of the matter is that without either of them we have changed personel but been played the same way, when we''ve been without Holt we''ve had to change our style to adapt (not always effectively) and that is probably the biggest compliment we can pay him!

Don''t let the mistake of 2004 happen again, make your vote count by emailing ''Grant Holt'' to pots@ncfc-canaries.co.uk now!!

NO, hoolahan is player of the season.(well mine anyway)

if the fans want to vote against holt( which i will) then its up to them. If the fans dont agree with the football league then the fans are more likely to be correct as they watch the team week in week out! the footall league only look for the goal scorers and not the players stopping the team conceeding goals!!!

Totally agree Essex. I voted for Holt too.

For some reason in recent years the winner has always been a surprise to me. eg Croft

In a team game I always feel a bit uncomfortable about voting for a single player but although the team and squad have been magnificent with some players reaching heights I didn''t think possible eg Doc Rusty and Hooly it has to be Holt. 30 goals and loads of assists with many of his best games coming away from home - what work rate. Take that out and we wouldn''t be where we are now.

Best of all - there''s a debate because we have had so much success. Hoorah for that!!

Yeah i know everyone is entitled to their opinion and it was partially tongue in cheek. Whoever wins will deserve it more than Croft did last year!!

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.htmlhttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassists?league=eng.3&year=2009&seasontype=1&cc=5739In my mind, if Holt isn''t voted Player Of The Season it will simply make a mockery of this competitionJoint 5th highest assister in the entire League, 2nd highest goalscorer as a supposed ''target man'', and has captained our side from 23rd in the table, when he recieved the armband, all the way up to the top.Best target man, best goalscorer, and best captain we''ve had in a very long time, that has battled through this season like no other, amassing the most distance covered by anyone outside the Pemier League i believe. People may have their ''favourites'' like Hoolahan, or those ''moments'' in the memory when the Doc or Forster may of earned us a couple of points in the dying moments of a game, but over the course of the season Holt has undisputedly given more than any other player at our club, and i don''t see anyone nearly as deserving of an award than him.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"]http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.htmlhttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassists?league=eng.3&year=2009&seasontype=1&cc=5739In my mind, if Holt isn''t voted Player Of The Season it will simply make a mockery of this competitionJoint 5th highest assister in the entire League, 2nd highest goalscorer as a supposed ''target man'', and has captained our side from 23rd in the table, when he recieved the armband, all the way up to the top.Best target man, best goalscorer, and best captain we''ve had in a very long time, that has battled through this season like no other, amassing the most distance covered by anyone outside the Pemier League i believe. People may have their ''favourites'' like Hoolahan, or those ''moments'' in the memory when the Doc or Forster may of earned us a couple of points in the dying moments of a game, but over the course of the season Holt has undisputedly given more than any other player at our club, and i don''t see anyone nearly as deserving of an award than him.[/quote]I agree.But I still voted Korey, I like going for the underdog.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"]http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.htmlhttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassists?league=eng.3&year=2009&seasontype=1&cc=5739In my mind, if Holt isn''t voted Player Of The Season it will simply make a mockery of this competitionJoint 5th highest assister in the entire League, 2nd highest goalscorer as a supposed ''target man'', and has captained our side from 23rd in the table, when he recieved the armband, all the way up to the top.Best target man, best goalscorer, and best captain we''ve had in a very long time, that has battled through this season like no other, amassing the most distance covered by anyone outside the Pemier League i believe. People may have their ''favourites'' like Hoolahan, or those ''moments'' in the memory when the Doc or Forster may of earned us a couple of points in the dying moments of a game, but over the course of the season Holt has undisputedly given more than any other player at our club, and i don''t see anyone nearly as deserving of an award than him.[/quote]I agree.But I still voted Korey, I like going for the underdog.[:)][/quote]Fair enough Morty.Still irritates me though because that seems to be everyones mentality when these awards come up, either because they''re a ''unique'' voter that appreciates the ''finer aspects'' of the game, or want to use their appreciation of a player as some way of trying to entice a him back when he is due to depart from the club at the end of the season, or they just simply want to be different, whereas the real winner is straight out the one that everyone genuinely deep down knows deserves the award.It happened last season with Clingan. Thoroughly deserved the award, but Croft just seemed to be everyone''s ''favourite underdog'', and Mashall seemed to be the second in that particular ''underdog'' running apparently despite having a very inconsistent season, and Sammy found himself in third place. Absurd.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"]http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.htmlhttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassists?league=eng.3&year=2009&seasontype=1&cc=5739In my mind, if Holt isn''t voted Player Of The Season it will simply make a mockery of this competitionJoint 5th highest assister in the entire League, 2nd highest goalscorer as a supposed ''target man'', and has captained our side from 23rd in the table, when he recieved the armband, all the way up to the top.Best target man, best goalscorer, and best captain we''ve had in a very long time, that has battled through this season like no other, amassing the most distance covered by anyone outside the Pemier League i believe. People may have their ''favourites'' like Hoolahan, or those ''moments'' in the memory when the Doc or Forster may of earned us a couple of points in the dying moments of a game, but over the course of the season Holt has undisputedly given more than any other player at our club, and i don''t see anyone nearly as deserving of an award than him.[/quote]I agree.But I still voted Korey, I like going for the underdog.[:)][/quote]Fair enough Morty.Still irritates me though because that seems to be everyones mentality when these awards come up, either because they''re a ''unique'' voter that appreciates the ''finer aspects'' of the game, or want to use their appreciation of a player as some way of trying to entice a him back when he is due to depart from the club at the end of the season, or they just simply want to be different, whereas the real winner is straight out the one that everyone genuinely deep down knows deserves the award.It happened last season with Clingan. Thoroughly deserved the award, but Croft just seemed to be everyone''s ''favourite underdog'', and Mashall seemed to be the second in that particular ''underdog'' running apparently despite having a very inconsistent season, and Sammy found himself in third place. Absurd.[/quote]Holt will win hands down.My prediction is :-1. Holt2. Hoolahan3. DohertyBut I would like Korey to get some recognition for a brilliant season and maybe sneak into 3rd place.Oh and for the record I voted Clingan lol.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"]http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.htmlhttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassists?league=eng.3&year=2009&seasontype=1&cc=5739In my mind, if Holt isn''t voted Player Of The Season it will simply make a mockery of this competitionJoint 5th highest assister in the entire League, 2nd highest goalscorer as a supposed ''target man'', and has captained our side from 23rd in the table, when he recieved the armband, all the way up to the top.Best target man, best goalscorer, and best captain we''ve had in a very long time, that has battled through this season like no other, amassing the most distance covered by anyone outside the Pemier League i believe. People may have their ''favourites'' like Hoolahan, or those ''moments'' in the memory when the Doc or Forster may of earned us a couple of points in the dying moments of a game, but over the course of the season Holt has undisputedly given more than any other player at our club, and i don''t see anyone nearly as deserving of an award than him.[/quote]I agree.But I still voted Korey, I like going for the underdog.[:)][/quote]Fair enough Morty.Still irritates me though because that seems to be everyones mentality when these awards come up, either because they''re a ''unique'' voter that appreciates the ''finer aspects'' of the game, or want to use their appreciation of a player as some way of trying to entice a him back when he is due to depart from the club at the end of the season, or they just simply want to be different, whereas the real winner is straight out the one that everyone genuinely deep down knows deserves the award.It happened last season with Clingan. Thoroughly deserved the award, but Croft just seemed to be everyone''s ''favourite underdog'', and Mashall seemed to be the second in that particular ''underdog'' running apparently despite having a very inconsistent season, and Sammy found himself in third place. Absurd.[/quote]Holt will win hands down.My prediction is :-1. Holt2. Hoolahan3. DohertyBut I would like Korey to get some recognition for a brilliant season and maybe sneak into 3rd place.Oh and for the record I voted Clingan lol.[/quote]I''ve seen so many turn to Forster now i have may doubts, but i certainly hope so Morty. [Y]

It''s between Holt and Hoolahan to pick up this award, either is a worthy winner in my book but I shall vote for Holt because I f***ing love Grant Holt! [:)]

I''ve gone for Forster - he''s been exceptional for the majority of the season, and his saves at Charlton were worthy of a higher league than this

I think the POTS vote will be a lot harder fought this year - simply because so many players have done well