Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

23 man squad for next year

Obviously there''ll be youth too, but if we look at a standard first 11 and other options, 23 senior players (Korey smith and that included) seems to be ideal, 2 ''keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, 4 strikers and 1 utility player GK1. Ideally Forster, if not then who?2. Declan Rudd to stay as sub or perhaps chucked into 1st team action? If he''s sent away on loan then stick with Steer to be 2nd choice, no need to waste time and money on a 2nd choice ''keeperDF1. Russell Martin - appears to have done enough to be part of the 8 man defence, challenge with...2. Michael Spillane - for the right back spot. no point trying to sort RB out more until other areas are dealt with3. Adam Drury - get another decent season out of him, he knows what it''s about and i''ll happily run with him with a younger hungry rival...4. Michael Rose or Wiggins or... - with Drury''s undoubted abilities, they are likely to start as 2nd choice at LB, but with Drurys age, they might find their time comes soon. I''d give Rose a chance.5. Gary Doherty6. Michael Nelson7. Zak Whitbread8 Jens-Berthel Askou - enough here at CB to start with, see how they cope in the championship and readress in JanMF1. Darel Russell - will hack the championship in a normal position for him, no worries there2. Korey Smith - can only get better and better3. Wes Hoolahan - just genius4. Anthony McNamee - Seems to be here for the long haul has impressed so far and deserves his chance in the Championship5. Simon Lappin - may not keep 1st team place, but certainly one to keep as part of the championship squad.6. Need a Right Mid - Adomah looks a good bet again, we''ll see7. Tom Adeyemi - is he ready to be part of the first team squad or is he off on loan?8. An Experienced head - apply within, the rest of our midfielders are deadwood to me, OTJ maybe an exception, but he hardly set league 1 alight.ST1. Grant Holt - Talisman, captain and top goalscorer2. Chris Martin - Local hero getting better and better now after a much inproved season.3. Oli Johnson - Seems like a good bet to keep as an option.4. Cody Macdonald - worth another go or out on loan? Perhaps room for some more firepower here.Utility Man1. I wouldn''t mind us take a bit of a gamble on a foreigner here (hear me out) might be the difference between also rans and play-offs. Hope we have the money to do this.I''d say the red areas are where we''ll be looking. Mid no. 8 and GK no. 1 are priorities.Discuss this lot, i''d hope Lambert has a similar plan drawn.

Think people are underestimating the gap between league one and the championship. Think we need some real strengthening to avoid a relegation battle again next season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]
4. Anthony McNamee - Seems to be here for the long haul has impressed so far and deserves his chance in the Championship

[/quote]

Really?

He''s been absolutely rubbish recently, hence why he got subbed off at half time the other day.

A few nice bits here and there since he joined the club but a long way to go until he''s proved himself being good enough/deserving of a place in the team.

[quote user="GJP"]

4. Anthony McNamee - Seems to be here for the long haul has impressed so far and deserves his chance in the Championship

[/quote]

Really?

He''s been absolutely rubbish recently, hence why he got subbed off at half time the other day.

A few nice bits here and there since he joined the club but a long way to go until he''s proved himself being good enough/deserving of a place in the team.

[/quote]#

He has easily played more good games for us than poor ones. It''s funny how people only remember a player''s last couple of games.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose at the Heart of the Defence"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]#

He has easily played more good games for us than poor ones. It''s funny how people only remember a player''s last couple of games.

[/quote]

So it might be but I''m not one of them.

I''m not writing the guy off or anything like that but if you were to look over his time here it''s been a real mixed bag. We''ve seen glimpses from him but I think that''s all it is at this stage.

Most people would agree with that, I''d have thought.

I think we have to be hard on the current squad. Many deserve a chance, however I think we''re going to get found out in a big way if we don''t strengthen for the Championship.

I think the standard of defending in the Championship this season has been poor, and our attacking force will rise to the challenge, but defensively we''ll need a bit more, particularly in the pace department.