Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Gold Against the Soul (or musings on the Wet Sham debacle)

Given that many NCFC fans were crying out for Gold and Sullivan to buy out Delia and Michael recently, what do people think about the shambles currently unfolding over at Upton Park?  Players being persued without the manager''s knowledge, the uncertainty of a firesale hanging over the entire squad (except for one player, which is even more unsettling) and constant attention seeking and media pandering that would make even Cluck think twice about our Delia''s own antics...All very strange and unsettling, but not really unprecedented with this duo of wide-boys.Are we glad we managed to avoid their clutches, or is their posturing just making sure the club doesn''t end up all nicey-nicey and too friendly?

[quote user="Romantic"]Never really liked those two and I feel we dodged a bullet as it happens.
[/quote] yeah I''d agree with that- two very dodgy gentlemen...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Given that many NCFC fans were crying out for Gold and Sullivan to buy out Delia and Michael recently, what do people think about the shambles currently unfolding over at Upton Park?  Players being persued without the manager''s knowledge, the uncertainty of a firesale hanging over the entire squad (except for one player, which is even more unsettling) and constant attention seeking and media pandering that would make even Cluck think twice about our Delia''s own antics...

All very strange and unsettling, but not really unprecedented with this duo of wide-boys.

Are we glad we managed to avoid their clutches, or is their posturing just making sure the club doesn''t end up all nicey-nicey and too friendly?
[/quote]

Good post. I consider Zola to be one of the classiest people in football, and someone who will go on to be an exceptional manager, but he''s being screwed around to a ridiculous extent by these two. Every time I see Sullivan in that ridiculous pseudo Red Army trenchcoat I want to throw things at the TV.

When you think of them two , the even shadier Di Stefano character along with this Joe Kosich, as you say the grass is not always greener, mind you this Mr Fernandes seems a lovely chap. [:D]

--An interesting question. I wasn''t stridently calling for them to take

over here but equally wasn''t averse to the idea, based on their record

at Birmingham, where by and large they did a pretty good job. And I

suspect in a few years'' time (it may already be happening) Birmingham

fans will favourably compare the Gold/Sullivan era there with the Carson

Yeung era.

How they are acting at West Ham isn''t necessarily how they would behave

here. There are serious differences between Norwich and West Ham, where

Sullivan took over a London Premier League club - with all the attendant

publicity -  masssively in debt, teetering on the verge of a potentially ruinous relegation

and with an inexperienced manager who might or might not be the real

deal. None of that applies here; it is, for example, very hard to imagine Gold and Sullivan either

privately or publicly questioning Lambert''s credentials.

I don''t think we can fully comment on their actions without understanding the enormous mess the club is in behind the scenes with millions and millions of pounds of debt racked up... this is the club that paid Freddie Llungberg £80k a week after he was way past his best.  It''s been a shambles for ages.However, I will award you the "Best use of Manic Street Preachers Title in Thread Topic" trophy, until someone trumps you with "IfDeliaSmithtoldthetruthforonedaytheworldwouldfallapart."

I think Gold and Sullivan are pretty decent as modern club owners go. Certainly far preferable to the likes of Marcus Evans!

When they first took over Birmingham they got them relegated to the third tier while they were sorting them out. The old adage that you can''t make an omelette without breaking eggs springs to mind.

IfDeliaSmithtoldthetruthforonedaytheworldwouldfallapart. We owe it to the kids to force out the truth because if you tolerate this your children will be next, will be next, will be neeext...........

[quote user="paul ncfc"]When you think of them two , the even shadier Di Stefano character along with this Joe Kosich, as you say the grass is not always greener, mind you this Mr Fernandes seems a lovely chap. [:D]
[/quote]

Reminded me that we have not heard much from Joe Kosich lately. He''s probably waiting to see if Sheffield Wednesday survive or watching with anguish as Norwich replaces the "big club" he was touting for new investment. 

P.S. For Purple Canary.....I believe you were seeking some additional information from Joe at one point PC. Did anything interesting emerge?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="paul ncfc"]When you think of them two , the even shadier Di Stefano character along with this Joe Kosich, as you say the grass is not always greener, mind you this Mr Fernandes seems a lovely chap. [:D][/quote]

Reminded me that we have not heard much from Joe Kosich lately. He''s probably waiting to see if Sheffield Wednesday survive or watching with anguish as Norwich replaces the "big club" he was touting for new investment. 

P.S. For Purple Canary.....I believe you were seeking some additional information from Joe at one point PC. Did anything interesting emerge?

[/quote]---Yankee, a good question. It has been a truly fascinating and instructive

year (although not always in a good way) on Planet Football and

particularly on Planet Canary - Fernandesgate, NewsoftheWorldgate,

Cowlinggate etc. So I was planning to update my much-loved (irony alert)

website (www.thecanarypurple.homestead.com). My computer then went to

the great dustbin in cyberspace, delaying matters. But I now have the

chance to work on that, and I suspect Kosichgate will get a mention!

As to the ownership of Sheffield Wednesday, my suspicion is that there

has been some movement there, but that any announcement was being delayed

until after tomorrow''s crucial game.

My view is, and has always been, that there was never any evidence to suggest that Sullivan and Gold were the slightest bit interested in Norwich City.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

My view is, and has always been, that there was never any evidence to suggest that Sullivan and Gold were the slightest bit interested in Norwich City.

[/quote]

But that is of no consequence to those who decide Smith refused to entertain them.

This is my truth tell me yours.

[quote user="Mister Chops"] [8]If you tolerate this, Jim Magilton will be next....

[/quote]I''ve been waiting for Smudger to do a cover entitled ''If You Tolerate Smith Then Your Children Will Be Next''

Aside from the way it appears Zola is being treated, I struggle to see what they''re doing wrong. Whilst I also believe that Zola has excellent potential as a manager, it''s perfectly sensible to question why he''s being paid so highly, with so little experience and with such poor results.They have a horribly underperforming side that with a few good additions would be a pretty decent team who could possibly challenge for Europe at a push, the problem is that the signings Zola has made haven''t been great, and he''s clearly struggling to get the team playing correctly.I don''t agree with the ''firesale'' situation, as I think they''ll lose the few genuine quality players they do have, and probably be left with either overpaid players who haven''t performed in far too long, or young players who need far more time to be ready for the prem.They desperately need to get a strong manager in who''s willing to make the tough choices and ''trim the fat'' on the squad by keeping the spine of Green - Upson - Parker - Behrami - C.Cole, using players like Tomkins, Collison, Sears and Hines/Stanislaus as part of their developing youth, and basically getting rid of most of the rest to rebuild. There will be players who can play well like Ilunga and Noble who are worth keeping, but I wouldn''t care about losing any of the others if I was a West Ham fan.Would I like to see Gold & Sullivan here - not at the minute, although I''m sure if you''d asked most fans 9 months ago, the majority would have welcomed them.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Mister Chops"] [8]If you tolerate this, Jim Magilton will be next....

[/quote]

I''ve been waiting for Smudger to do a cover entitled ''If You Tolerate Smith Then Your Children Will Be Next''
[/quote]

I''ve been waiting for a cover by ''Eddie and the Clogged Bogs''.....[8] "Do anything but a number two" [8]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Mister Chops"] [8]If you tolerate this, Jim Magilton will be next....

[/quote]I''ve been waiting for Smudger to do a cover entitled ''If You Tolerate Smith Then Your Children Will Be Next''[/quote]

I''ve been waiting for a cover by ''Eddie and the Clogged Bogs''.....[8] "Do anything but a number two" [8]

[/quote][img]http://www.lindisfarne.de/covers/lf-cds/fog_classic.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

I''ve been waiting for Smudger to do a cover entitled ''If You Tolerate Smith Then Your Children Will Be Next''
[/quote]

[/quote]

[img]http://www.lindisfarne.de/covers/lf-cds/fog_classic.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

....and one for you....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But wharrif he''d never been in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet[:O]

[/quote]

I bet you can hammer out some tasty licks, with your twelve-stringed for twelve-fingers customised banjo....

Oh look, there''s Mr Chomps in the background....admiring everything you ''bash out''....