Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

My views on todays game...

Back so early as staying in a hotel in the City centre [:D]What a great day! Cracking atmosphere all the way through, and thousands of beach balls too add to the fun! First of all, it was a great gesture by the Bristol Rovers management team too give us a walk out of honour!The game started rather dull, with the party just the party atmosphere keeping us awake! However, on about 30 minutes a mistake by Jones the BR defender which let MacNamee in who lay it off to Super Chris who cut in and slotted in a delightful finish. Despite being only 1-0, Brizzle seemed too have given up and we were starting to become dominant. The game did have that end of season feel about it and it all seemed rather lacklustre, until Elliot picked up an ankle injury enabling Oli Johnson to get a 45 minute spell at the weak Rovers defense. Straight away we were on the attack and I think Chrissy picked up the ball about midway through their half and slid a delightful through ball to Oli who using his pace, just about got there and chipped it magnificently over the helpless keeper. Now it was really time for celebration and we all kept on singing during the HT interval, despite about 1,000 of us queing up for the one single portaloo toilet! [:O]The second half started much the same as the end of the second half and we were dominant again. A few nice moves down the left and right flanks but seemingly no end product. However Super Chris got into the penatly area and had all the time in the world too thread it into Hooooze who managed too scramble the ball over the line! After that we could have had many more but all the celebrations were in the terraces or more like canopy! The funniest moment was at the end of the match when the Police game out too stop us invading. There was one absolutely tiny policeman who the whole City end were singing [8] Your hats too big for you [8], and you couldn''t help but laugh, and feel sorry for him! The fellow policemen were even laughing!I also met Brendo, he is a nice lad really [;)]Great day, OTBC, and bring on Carlisle![:D]

My view of today''s game:[img]http://www.kitchencritic.co.uk/upload/2007/06/dualit-kitchen-radio.jpg[/img]Holt sounded quiet today.

Totally dominant display, bossed midfield, Holty would have had a hatrick. Great performance from Gill, Martin, and Spillane.

Hardly a Pirate in sight, City fans ejected from home stand, no bogs but a good atmosphere, bye bye league 1!!

I would say, Martin MOM, played a part in all goals. Big mention goes too McNamee & Rose who both looked better than they ever have done. Everyone else a 7 [Y]

[quote user="Lord Horn"]Just out of interest...did the Rovers fans beat the Pirate fancy dress record???[/quote]no  they  didnt  I  was  in  the bristol rovers clubhouse before the game having  a  drink  with  some  BR fans admiring   the  lady  pirates until  I  was  told  I had  to leave the  club (health  and  safety issue) maybe the  cornish pasties   were  off  but  had a  great  time  with  some norwich  and  BR  fans  in the annexe of  the wellington  pub before the  game I think Bristol took their foot  off the  GAS  lol

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I was impressed by Gill, reminded me a little of Sammy Clingan.[/quote]

Well that''d be a big improvement on earlier in the season when he''s looked more like Mark Fotheringham.

Also staying in Bristol for the night.  Gas Fans were a very friendly bunch all day as we were dressed as pirates for the challange, even brought us a drink for being champions.  Not often you get that (Being champions and opposing fans buying you a drink).  About 500 people I think for the record attempt.  We were also in the clubhouse until about 1.40, we then left to go to our end of the ground. 

The football itself left something to be desired, end of season written all over it with two teams who really didn''t have any motivation and were thinking of where to go on holiday.  Difference was the quality of players in the end.  Matty Gill was defo MOM.  He wanted to prove something.  Other players to rate were Foster (some smart saves for the little he had to do), Ginger Pele for his miss kick, Oli for his first touch goal, and Paul McVeigh for being Paul McVeigh.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I was impressed by Gill, reminded me a little of Sammy Clingan.[/quote]Gill was excellent today.  Never wasted a pass and willing to do his share of tackling.

I wasn''t there today, but imo Gill has looked pretty good most times I''ve seen him (esp Millwall at home); is a little sad that some had already written him off without giving him a chance

Got back just over an hour ago, absolutely knackered but worth the trip! I still can''t help but think we''ve got some serious strengthening to do next season. Hughes and McNamee didn''t impress me much today and I don''t think we''ll see much of them next season. Otherwise we were pretty solid at the back, not really getting troubled until they hit the bar in the 2nd half but then the game was won anyway. The Rovers fans indeed seemed like a good bunch, even the stewards. I echo the sentiments on Gill as well, he was busting a gut today and doing his level best to cover every blade of grass he could.

Gill was great early in the first half he blocked a really dangerous cross bust a gut to get in front of the bristol rovers man and dealt with the situation superbly stopped us going 1-0 down and changing the complexion of the game i thought he was very good did the simple and neccessary nit and grit brilliantly just like russell has been doing all season

chris martin was my mom for quality and workrate, otherwise agree with most of the above. macnamee was great i thought but thats opinions for you. great guard of honour and response from the home fans who were very welcoming.i got bought a pint by the rovers fans after the game as well!there was some good humour on the terraces today too.

on the city fans that were ejected - a rovers fan who was next to it with his boy told me that some smartly dressed 40 somethings were winding up the locals in the main stand ( kids and women) looking for a fight. not very norwich is it really?

I agree that Gill was very good yesterday & I also think Rose played ver well - he was strong in defence & offered good support when attacking.

All in all it was a good day out & a great last away game of the season. The Cornish paties in the ground were fantastic too!

Good news about Gill, I have to say the limited amount I have seen of him hadn''t really impressed.

[quote user="Rupethebear"]Hardly a Pirate in sight[/quote]I saw loads before the game. [^o)]Anyhow, good post Alec. [Y] [:)]Would agree with it all, except I thought it was MacNamee who played the ball for Johnson''s goal? [:P]Well worth the long (ish) journey. Bristol Rovers did really seem a nice football club. [:)] Also, why did the Norwich fans in the home end reveal their indentity, and why so early? [:S] Missed the whole game basically.Might I also add, Bristol were terrible today, and I can''t see Leeds doing anything but beating them next week. [:''(]

My view on today''s game ?.........it was pretty pants really. With nothing to play for for either team most of the players, particularly Rovers, were on auto-pilot and as a result the game lacked any urgency. It was still enjoyable - a 3-0 win always is - but this must rank as the easiest stroll since Yeovil lost by the same score at Carrow Road. On this form Rovers will surely lose at Elland Road on Saturday. McNamee looked quite effective, Chris Martin put himself about and Gill did more than enough to justify a rare start but as everything was so comfortable it was all a bit like a practice match. I think there was just one booking, a Rovers player in the first half, but his teammates and the City players managed to avoid the laid-back referee''s attention who was so easy going none of us noticed he was there. I think that makes him a good one.The rest of the day was much better. For some strange reason Paul Lambert wore a suit, a rather natty grey number. Perhaps he''d got wind that some city supporters were planning to dress up in tracksuits and had hoped to outflank them. If so sadly he failed as I saw more fans in grey suits than tracksuits.......The Memorial Stadium is what it says on the tin, a memorial to what we won''t be seeing much of next season. It had a nice homely feel and has clearly been cobbled together over the years with a mixture of oddly shaped covered stands and both open and covered terracing and is shared with Bristol Rugby Club. We were in the '' temporary '' stand behind the goal under a white tarpaulin roof that looked as though it had been transported there from the Royal Norfolk Showground. Other City fans were on part of the open terrace to the right and thankfully for them the promised heavy showers never arrived. The toilets were the dear old portaloo variety, last experienced at Paulton Rovers, but conveniently positioned a little way in front of the fence so that those males really desperate could relieve themselves in the narrow gap whilst taking great care not to bring too many tears to their eyes on the vicious brambles lurking there for their next victim. An exercise not recommended for those who''d had a few pints before the match......Great pre-match atmosphere and banter with the locals in the Annexe at the Waterloo pub. Lots of people dressed as pirates one of who told me that the big record attempt had failed as there were only around five hundred at the ground, not the hoped for thousand or so. Confusingly, amongst all the Rovers pirates there was one in a home shirt but with a Norfolk accent. He had two young City fans in tow and told me they came from Long Stratton..........and that was before I''d sampled any of the fine ales on offer! There was just time after the match to go back there and down a pint of a peculiar green beer which looked like, but didn''t taste like, Listerine.In lots of ways I''m going to miss days out like this.....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]In lots of ways I''m going to miss days out like this.....[/quote]Same. Good input. [Y] Fair comments.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]The rest of the day was much better. For some strange reason Paul Lambert wore a suit, a rather natty grey number.[/quote]Which also prompted chants of "Where''s your tracksuit gone?" and "Get your collar up" much to Lambert''s amusement.

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread a bit. I couldn''t make the game because I am back in Durham working for exams and only caught the last 30 mins on Canary Player. On the highlights and commentary McNamee seemed really sharp. Nice to see after an underpar showing against Gillingham. My question is was he being played as a left winger or in the Hoolahan role behind the strikers?

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread a bit. I couldn''t make the game because I am back in Durham working for exams and only caught the last 30 mins on Canary Player. On the highlights and commentary McNamee seemed really sharp. Nice to see after an underpar showing against Gillingham. My question is was he being played as a left winger or in the Hoolahan role behind the strikers?

[/quote]Pretty sure in Hoolahan''s position. He did well, but I''d like to add Rovers were terrible. Still, well played. [Y]