Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

Leicester and Norwich the difference

A few posters are getting excited about the prospect about us doing a Leicester and getting in to the play offs next season. I hope that this is the case - but i''m not convinced.

When Leicester got promoted from league 1 they made an operating loss C £15m. This was covered by Milan Maderic personally. They also went out and bought 3 good young players again funded by the mans money as the club had made none. (although they did realease 3 players off the wage bill)

I don''t think we have this luxury?

Maybe we will defy the odds but I think if we achieve above mid table next season it will be a success - Sorry just read this back and it appears negative. It is not intended to burst any bubble just a cold look at facts.[D]

well leicester will get to play off final and lose( i hope so) so if norwich don''t follow leicester im not all that bothered [:)]

I honestly think we have, with the need for a few additions, the makings of a squad to challenge the play offs. I watched a few Championship matches recently and I honestly didn''t think the standard was massively better than what we have been playing this season.Seriously, how can you not at least be a little optimistic after what we have achieved this season? You can go on all you like about it being division 3 but, on reflection, we have pretty much walked this league.Team work and good management make for success, not money, have a look down the road for confirmation of this lol.

Leicester only really made 1 big summer signing, Richie Wellens for £1m, other than that just loans and free transfers (Gallagher, Weale & N''Guessan) to add to their title-winning squad.

[quote user="morty"]I honestly think we have, with the need for a few additions, the makings of a squad to challenge the play offs. I watched a few Championship matches recently and I honestly didn''t think the standard was massively better than what we have been playing this season.

Seriously, how can you not at least be a little optimistic after what we have achieved this season? You can go on all you like about it being division 3 but, on reflection, we have pretty much walked this league.

Team work and good management make for success, not money, have a look down the road for confirmation of this lol.
[/quote]

I agree with you Morty, but still think even good management needs to be supported by cash these days. Once a young player is getting talked about by a few clubs, his transfer price goes up, up, up...  Yep we walked this league...but it is far behind the Championship...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[quote user="morty"]I honestly think we have, with the need for a few additions, the makings of a squad to challenge the play offs. I watched a few Championship matches recently and I honestly didn''t think the standard was massively better than what we have been playing this season.Seriously, how can you not at least be a little optimistic after what we have achieved this season? You can go on all you like about it being division 3 but, on reflection, we have pretty much walked this league.Team work and good management make for success, not money, have a look down the road for confirmation of this lol.[/quote]

I agree with you Morty, but still think even good management needs to be supported by cash these days. Once a young player is getting talked about by a few clubs, his transfer price goes up, up, up...  Yep we walked this league...but it is far behind the Championship...

[/quote]I think the fans, the board, and pretty much everyone in the known universe knows we are onto something special with Lambert. And the board know full well that if we don''t match his ambition then its bye bye best manager we may have ever had.I think he will be backed in what he wants to do financially by the board, obviously we will make the usual protestations about being broke but I think Delia and co will come up with teh goods, or will face a serious and devastating backlash from the paying fans.

I think it is a fair assessment by the OP.

If I remember correctly, Leicester were a little unlucky to get relegated and had a pretty good squad of settled players and a good manager.

Because of the financial backing they retained all their best players who were of pretty good Championship quality. Hence their pretty successful season.

I''m with Morty on this. With a fair wind, plus our brilliant manager and proper backing, we should get in the top six.

Decent ref decisions would also help!!!

I think we can do what Leicester did, as long as we carry on playing like we have done this season....When we have been on form, Holt, Martin and Hoolahan on top form we have been absolutley outstanding, but on the flipside, with players out injured/suspended, or lack of form, we have still been able to get some grinded out results, which i think makes all the diffrence.....

It''s good to be optimistic but it will be very fustrating if everyone is moaning if we are NOT challenging for the play offs come the end of next season.  Mid table would be a good season because it is another good stepping stone on getting this club back to where it should be.  Sometimes you need a normal season of winning some and losing some to just have a breather and go for it again.

I think that we COULD challenge for a top 6 but we need to not have too many duff performances and, arguable, those games where we scraped a win (Walsall away, Southend at home etc.) probably won''t be as easy.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]worthy didn''t have huge funds to play with when we went up to the prem, he ssignined ashton for 3.5m but he rarely played![/quote]

Ashton played every game after we signed him and scored goals. Stop talking rubbish.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]worthy didn''t have huge funds to play with when we went up to the prem, he ssignined ashton for 3.5m but he rarely played![/quote]

What games did he miss then?

And if Lambert doesn''t get a good budget the fans can get as arsey as they like.... if there''s no money, there''s no money. If it was that easy......

[quote user="Gingerpele"][/quote]

Almeria is a dump.... what are you on about?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

A few posters are getting excited about the prospect about us doing a Leicester and getting in to the play offs next season. I hope that this is the case - but i''m not convinced.

When Leicester got promoted from league 1 they made an operating loss C £15m. This was covered by Milan Maderic personally. They also went out and bought 3 good young players again funded by the mans money as the club had made none. (although they did realease 3 players off the wage bill)

I don''t think we have this luxury?

Maybe we will defy the odds but I think if we achieve above mid table next season it will be a success - Sorry just read this back and it appears negative. It is not intended to burst any bubble just a cold look at facts.[D]

[/quote]Glad it''s not just me signing from this hymn sheet. I''m chuffed we''re up, but it''s too early to tell how we''ll do. Obviously we need to strengthen, but then every club says that every summer. We need a little more depth in the squad in the event of injuries and suspensions for me. There isn''t as much of a gulf in class between League One and the Championship as there is between the Championship and the Premiership, but there''s still a significant increase in the number of difficult games, thus we need players who can match up to the standards of the league. I think it''s cautious optimism really, that and the fact e are haunted by our last run in that division.