Sign in to follow this  
bjg123

Richard Brodie

As I''m based in York for Uni I went along to the York v Luton play-off match last night, featuring conference top scorer Richard Brodie for York.I came away with the distinct impression he''d be excellent back-up for Holt. He''s scored plenty of goals this season, he works the channels really well, holds it up and is excellent in the air (he''s a big f****r as well at 6 foot 3) If he''s available for a reasonable fee I''d be very happy with him coming in as back-up, possibly going on loan for a few months. He''s only 22 as well. His touch and technique let him down a bit, but then, Grant Holt is hardly technically brilliant. His finish was taken well and composed given in was the last minute as well.

That''s interesting - we do need someone like that in the squad. But where does this idea that Holt has no skill come from? He has a very good first touch, pretty good close control, shields the ball really well. He doesn''t dance a jig like Hoolahan, but then he''s twice Wes''s size. But he''s at least as skilful as Martin (and quicker, and works harder). He''s a gem.

if they wanted a very small fee for him it might be worth a punt and loan him out at the start of next season. At the age of 22 he is still elarning and will only imporbe.

He sounds like a good player but some people on other forum has said York are trying to hold out for as much as 500k! If we signed him it would also spell the end for either Johnson or McDonald. You can only have a certain amount of players ''for the future'' on the books with our budget.

I''ve thought for some time that Brodie could be an ideal back-up for Holt. He''s young and hungry, has the height and ability to hold the ball up and would learn a lot from Holt and others. Does he have pace as well bjg123?

I think Lambert signed Johnson for the long term and he''s extended Cody''s contract so I don''t see either leaving, except possibly on short-term loans. Johnson also has the ability to play in the hole behind the strikers and I''d like to see him there while Wes is out. I''d also say that another quality, experienced striker with pace will be needed if Elliot isn''t signed.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]improve*, geezee i cant spell today [:(][/quote]

you can''t spell because you are a plum.

[quote user="bjg123"]As I''m based in York for Uni I went along to the York v Luton play-off match last night, featuring conference top scorer Richard Brodie for York.

I came away with the distinct impression he''d be excellent back-up for Holt. He''s scored plenty of goals this season, he works the channels really well, holds it up and is excellent in the air (he''s a big f****r as well at 6 foot 3) If he''s available for a reasonable fee I''d be very happy with him coming in as back-up, possibly going on loan for a few months. He''s only 22 as well. His touch and technique let him down a bit, but then, Grant Holt is hardly technically brilliant. His finish was taken well and composed given in was the last minute as well.
[/quote]

What are you studying? I''m researching at York Uni - I assume you mean Heslington and not St John? 

living nearby, i have heard a bit about him and he definately sounds like someone who has a bright future in the game. He''s an unknown quantity, he might be just another non-league striker, or he could be the nerxt big thing. He''d be worth a calculated gamble for sure, maybe a nice up front fee of £150k and appearence and success related bonuses too, sell on clause, maybe even a £1m bonus for an England cap too, just to cover york''s backs that they haven''t let one of the best players in the leagues go on the cheap. If he flops, its a small wage, a few bad mins out of him on the pitch and £150k. If he is a success, we pay out up to £1.5m probably £500k and have one of the countrys or at least divisions best strikers.

To answer a couple of questions:Re: Pace, it''s difficult to tell on one game at that level, no one around him looked particularly quick anyway, so it''s difficult to gauge. He''s not slow though, covers a lot of ground so probably looks quicker than he actually is, but I wouldn''t say he was slow by any means.Re: what I''m studying, yeah I''m at the proper uni, doing Accounting, Business Finance and Management in my final year. Seems to be quite a few Canaries up here, clearly we get about a bit!

I''ve heard of him too (living in York). Scored lots of goals this season and the York fans love him.

But could he cut it at championship level?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]

I''ve heard of him too (living in York). Scored lots of goals this season and the York fans love him.

But could he cut it at championship level?

[/quote]He has the right sort of attributes to cut it at League Football level at least. Think the love child of Steve Howard and Grant Holt. He''s a got a really good header on him. something very underrated in football, and he''s massive, so he''d give us the option to hoof it if we needed to toward the end of a game we were chasing.

26 in 40 is pretty damn decent, especially as it''s a dramatic improvement for him, hopefully it shows a player in acsendency and he can cope with a big step up.

[quote user="bjg123"]26 in 40 is pretty damn decent, especially as it''s a dramatic improvement for him, hopefully it shows a player in acsendency and he can cope with a big step up.
[/quote]

I saw him when York played Cambridge- he really is an excellent player very similar to Holt and would make perfect back-up.