Sign in to follow this  
Kev Banham

Summer Transfers - who out of the squad is good enough for the championship?

I think that out of the current squad the

players good enough to step up to the championship are Forster,

Spillane, Askou, Drury, Russell, Smith, Hoolahan, C.Martin & Holt.
This would make a decent team at that level, just need another quality central

defender & an attacking midfielder with pace.
I would probably keep

most of R.Martin, Nelson, Whitbread, Lappin, Hughes, McNamee &

Johnson as squad players unless they want to stay in League One with

another club.
I would loan out some of Rudd, Steer, Francomb,

Stephens, Habergham, Kelly, Adeyemi, Dawkin, Daley & McDonald to

League One clubs to get them some experience & to see whether or not

they''re up to the task.
I wouldn''t renew the contracts of Donkey,

McVeigh or Cureton as the latter two have seen better days, they didn''t

get much action in League One, so the chances of them getting any

action is slim to non & the other although he''s done alright this season,

has just proved that he''s found his level, he couldn''t cope in the

season we got relegated, so won''t be good enough now.
I think that just

leaves Wiggins, Gill, Tudur-Jones who haven''t seen much action, so

would probably get rid.
& the two loanee''s Rose & Elliott who have

both played a couple of decent matches, but generally have not

impressed, so thanks but no thanks to them.
I think that on top of the

two mentioned above we need another 4 or 5 players to make up the squad,

maybe 1 or 2 experienced players along with 3 or 4 young hungry

players, that would sound about right to me.
discuss...

[quote user="Kev Banham"]

I think that out of the current squad the players good enough to step up to the championship are Forster, Spillane, Askou, Drury, Russell, Smith, Hoolahan, C.Martin & Holt.

This would make a decent team at that level, just need another quality central defender & an attacking midfielder with pace.

I would probably keep most of R.Martin, Nelson, Whitbread, Lappin, Hughes, McNamee & Johnson as squad players unless they want to stay in League One with another club.

I would loan out some of Rudd, Steer, Francomb, Stephens, Habergham, Kelly, Adeyemi, Dawkin, Daley & McDonald to League One clubs to get them some experience & to see whether or not they''re up to the task.

I wouldn''t renew the contracts of Donkey, McVeigh or Cureton as the latter two have seen better days, they didn''t get much action in League One, so the chances of them getting any action is slim to non & the other although he''s done alright this season, has just proved that he''s found his level, he couldn''t cope in the season we got relegated, so won''t be good enough now.

I think that just leaves Wiggins, Gill, Tudur-Jones who haven''t seen much action, so would probably get rid.

& the two loanee''s Rose & Elliott who have both played a couple of decent matches, but generally have not impressed, so thanks but no thanks to them.

I think that on top of the two mentioned above we need another 4 or 5 players to make up the squad, maybe 1 or 2 experienced players along with 3 or 4 young hungry players, that would sound about right to me.

discuss...

[/quote]

I can''t be ar*ed to discuss this with someone who wants to release Doherty and think elson can''t make the step up when we haven''t seen him up there yet...

The players who will definately make the grade in the Championship are Drury, Askou and Smith in my opinion.  And of course Forster but we havn''t definately got him yet.  The players who I think very much will do but are not definate certainties are Spillane, Whitbread, Russel, Hughes, Hoolahan and C.Martin.  Holt I am unsure about.  A lot of goals he gets from crosses and sheer hard work.  In the Championship sheer hard work may get him one or two but not many, so a lot of his goals will depend on who is assissting them.  This is where we need to buy a winger and a box to box midfield player. 

The players who probably won''t make it are Lappin, McNamee, Oli Johnson and R.Martin.  Players like McNamee and Oli with the right coaching could do a job but only as a squad player and the same for Lappin and R.Martin.

The players who definately won''t make it are Doherty, Nelson, Cureton, McVeigh and some of the others who have only played once or twice.

I think players like Gill, Tudor-Jones and Wiggins, like you say, will be sold.

This is the team I think will play once we get into the swing of things:

Forster (hopefully)

Spillane                  Askou                     Whitbread               Drury

New Signing            Smith                      New Signing            Hoolahan?

Holt                     Martin

The only reason I put a question mark by Hoolahan''s name because I''m unsure what formation we will play.

Also, I forgot to mention it, I would send Daley, McDonald, Adeyemi, Francomb, Steer and Rudd all on loan.  That would mean though, that we would have to bring in another keeper.

Also, please change your font![:)]

Spillane and Askou in ahead of R Martin and Doherty?

That''s a step backwards.

Doherty IS a proven defender in the Championship, I believe is a former Barry Butler Player of the Season! The man has played striker at Spurs, for crying out loud!

Apoligies for the font in this subject as it was my first post for years.Doherty is like marmite, you either love him or you hate him, I personally don''t rate him, too slow & always grabbing hold of strikers, always destined to give away fouls.I can''t believe that some of you seem to be leaving Russell out, now there is a proven Championship standard player, he''s strolled through League One this season.

Boyo has named thirteen players who he thinks should be bombed out,are not good enough or should be sent out on loan.Blimey whoever is going to fill the seven substitutes shirts?

I can''t believe you are not prepared to give the Doc another chance at Championship level.  he was actually one of our better players in the last three seasons and with a new manager who seems to get the best out of him, his experience could be vital.

As for Nelson, he seems like a Mackay figure to me, I don''t think we should get rid of him and for me those two would start next season as the centre back pairing with Askou/Whitbread waiting in the wings.  They could get exposed with a lack of pace, but I think their experience and positional sense should make up for this.

The positions which need strengthening for me are in centre mid, where I would get rid of OTJ and possibly Gill and bring in someone who can offer more competition and a little more creativity.  I would get a left back in to compete with Drury (not Rose) and a striker who can compete with Holt, especially when he is injured or suspended!  The first priority must be to strap Fraser Forster to the goalposts at Carrow Road so he can''t leave!

I agree that Nelson''s a Malky-like figure. He''s had a great season for us - see how he performs in a higher division before you write him off.

Hopefully most of the players who featured regularly will stay to form the nucleus of the squad, with some additions to add further strength. Some people''s comments on here would lead to widescale rebuilding and uncertainty. I''m confident this won''t be an approach that Lambert takes.

I do not see the back four as a problem if all eight (which we have) are fit then competition in each position. I hope we learn from the last time we got promotion and do not go and disrupt this area too much , they have been excellent most of the season and those Doc bashers should just remember he like Nelson has scored vital goals for us.The front line is also looking fairly good but could do with some more experienced competition a replacement like Elliot (but better) would be good.The real mess is midfield where we just dont have enough vision without Hools and we really do need to spend As others have said Foster has to be first priority

[quote user="Largey"]

Doherty IS a proven defender in the Championship, I believe is a former Barry Butler Player of the Season! The man has played striker at Spurs, for crying out loud!

[/quote]

He IS proven hopeless in the Championship!  There is a massive quality gap between League 1 and the Championship and Doherty 100% has found his level.  The strikers he has played agaisnt this season have been awful!  They have been big, slow and have no skill, I could have defended agaisnt them!  In the Championship the strikers are a lot quicker, stronger clever, lethal and all round technically better, to much for him to handle.  Yes he is a former Barry Butler winner but most of the time the fans favourites win that and that season was very poor.

Also whats with all this talk about Nelson having a great season from everyone!?  Before this month everyone was moaning about him saying that he is going to be awful in the Championship.  And now because he scored two very vital goals he is all of a sudden the new Malky Mckay!  Despite Nelson getting everything in the way and being fairly solid agaisnt poor teams he is going to struggle big time in the Championship.

GK: Forster/Rudd

RB: David Wright/R.Martin/Spillane

CB: Doherty/Nelson

CB: Whitbread/Askou

LB: Tommy Spurr/DruryDM: Jimmy Abdou/RussellRM: Smith/McNameeLM: Jermaine Johnson/LappinAM: Hoolahan/Hughes?ST: Holt/Daniel BogdanovicST: Martin/Johnson/McDonald

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Boyo has named thirteen players who he thinks should be bombed out,are not good enough or should be sent out on loan.Blimey whoever is going to fill the seven substitutes shirts?[/quote]

I''m not saying we should replace all of them because we shouldn''t and we won''t.  I''m trying to make a point that we actually have very, very few players who are proven and who we know can definately cut it in the Championship.

[quote user="Boyo"]

He IS proven hopeless in the Championship!  There is a massive quality gap between League 1 and the Championship and Doherty 100% has found his level. 

[/quote]

So, after all these years in professional football it''s only just now, this season, that Gary Doherty has found his level. Seems a bit unlikely to me.

If he, our most experienced player at the higher levels of football, isn''t good enough for the Championship then you''d have to be very worried about pretty much everyone else in our squad.

He''s the best defender at the club.

For me, getting forster for another year is the first priority.

After that, a back-up/playing partner for Holt or Martin. A younger player with decent height for knock downs and the ability to hold up play. Pace would help as well.

The mid-field seems solid and has developed a good understanding through playing together. A back-up for Hoolahan in the diamond seems the most pressing need. Gill showed he can back-up Russell in the holding role as well as backing up at other positions as well. I think OTJ will probably move elsewhere.

The defence seems sorted except for the back-up for Drury. Rose is useful going forward but I'' still unsure about his defending but trust the judgment of \Lambert and Culverhouse on that one.

All in all, I would like to see quality rather than quantity for whatever money is available.

This threads hilarious, playing players that haven''t regually played at league 1 level? I would go for, first game of the season,

Forster

New signing      Doc     Nelson      Drury

Russell

Smith                             New signing

Holt               Martin

If the diamond doesn''t work then we can change it but i think it may be more effective with the championship having more footballing teams, it got us here its worth a shot, If it doesn''t work then we need decent wingers because we have none. And judging on recent performances Nelson could cut it as championship level just depends if he plays aswell as he has the last few games if he doesn''t then Whitbread is meant to be possibly one of the best defenders we have although i''m not convinced, the Doc has done it before and will do it again. Martin and Holt will both score goals at this level although it may be more so the other way round, again this being a more technical league and Chris Martin is a gifted quality finisher he will benefit more than Holts strength and work rate but it will open up the space for Martin. Just my opinion. I am sure Lambert will get it spot on though.

[quote user="G"]

This threads hilarious, playing players that haven''t regually played at league 1 level? I would go for, first game of the season,

Forster

Russell

Holt               Martin

If the diamond doesn''t work then we can change it but i think it may be more effective with the championship having more footballing teams, it got us here its worth a shot, If it doesn''t work then we need decent wingers because we have none. And judging on recent performances Nelson could cut it as championship level just depends if he plays aswell as he has the last few games if he doesn''t then Whitbread is meant to be possibly one of the best defenders we have although i''m not convinced, the Doc has done it before and will do it again. Martin and Holt will both score goals at this level although it may be more so the other way round, again this being a more technical league and Chris Martin is a gifted quality finisher he will benefit more than Holts strength and work rate but it will open up the space for Martin. Just my opinion. I am sure Lambert will get it spot on though.

[/quote]Personally I would use 11 players. [;)]

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]GK: Forster/Rudd

RB: David Wright/R.Martin/Spillane
CB: Doherty/Nelson
CB: Whitbread/Askou
LB: Tommy Spurr/Drury

DM: Jimmy Abdou/Russell
RM: Smith/McNamee
LM: Jermaine Johnson/Lappin
AM: Hoolahan/Hughes?

ST: Holt/Daniel Bogdanovic
ST: Martin/Johnson/McDonald
[/quote]

Great shouts there mate, would be more than happy to go into next season with that squad.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="G"]

Forster

Russell

Hoolahan

Holt                 Martin

[/quote]

Personally I would use 11 players. [;)]
[/quote]

Sh!t, good idea. Missed out the little one. Hoolahan i think his name is.

I''m sure some posters will probably think we''re too big to make such comparisons but we really ought to take a look at what other teams who have been promoted from this division have done in the past. Especially the ones that have had varying degrees of success like Reading, Hull, Bristol City and Swansea.

I haven''t the time nor the inclination to research this too deeply but I''d be amazed if any of those clubs ditched too many of their promotion winning teams because they weren''t up to Championship standard. Football is as much a mental game as it is a physical one and winning is a habit. Successful players who have got into that winning habit are much more likely to continue to improve their game than players who may have been struggling at the wrong end of The Championship and are now available for transfer.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I''m sure some posters will probably think we''re too big to make such comparisons but we really ought to take a look at what other teams who have been promoted from this division have done in the past. Especially the ones that have had varying degrees of success like Reading, Hull, Bristol City and Swansea.

I haven''t the time nor the inclination to research this too deeply but I''d be amazed if any of those clubs ditched too many of their promotion winning teams because they weren''t up to Championship standard. Football is as much a mental game as it is a physical one and winning is a habit. Successful players who have got into that winning habit are much more likely to continue to improve their game than players who may have been struggling at the wrong end of The Championship and are now available for transfer.

[/quote]

I know Reading invested in players from lower leagues etc. For example Stephen Hunt and Kevin Doyle came from Cork city while Noel Hunt came from some small Scottish club. Sonko came from Brentford I think too. Maybe we should look at doing a similar sort of thing...