Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

I see Jamie Lad's loan spell at Shrewsbury went well....

Shrewsbury Town manager Paul Simpson has been sacked

after their League Two play-off hopes were all but ended.

Shrews captain Graham Coughlan told BBC Radio

Shropshire: "It''s one of those sad things which happens in football.

It''s unfortunate and sad. Make no mistake, Paul is carrying the

can for the dressing room."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F17095646?thread=7473061&show=50Never mind, Jamie.  Maybe there''s a non-league club you can try out for.

"He has a scoring record as good as anyone," Shrews boss Paul Simpson told the club website on 17th February.

"He could''nt hit a barn door from 5 yards with a centurion tank". A Shrews fan on 30th April.

I''d leave him alone, but articles like this really irritate me:http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/eveningnews24/norwich-sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=xSport&itemid=NOED23%20Apr%202010%2009%3A52%3A59%3A280http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8637563.stmGood that he believes in himself but at some point he has to realise he''s leeched off our club for long enough.

Good article.  It''s spooky that I was about to sit down and do the maths to work out the cost of each goal.  I guesstimated £7,500 so not far out.Admittedly Peter Grant must carry the can for the ludicrous contract offered, and you can''t blame Cureton for signing on the dotted line, but he seems to be the only person in God''s great universe who thinks he still has something to offer apart from the ability to test the reflexes of the fans in rows X, Y and Z.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Good article.  It''s spooky that I was about to sit down and do the maths to work out the cost of each goal.  I guesstimated £7,500 so not far out.

Admittedly Peter Grant must carry the can for the ludicrous contract offered, and you can''t blame Cureton for signing on the dotted line, but he seems to be the only person in God''s great universe who thinks he still has something to offer apart from the ability to test the reflexes of the fans in rows X, Y and Z.
[/quote]

I said it at the time that it was a knee-jerk reaction by Grant to replace Earnie.  Just had one awesome season with Col Who and was signed on the basis of that.  Indicative of what was so wrong with the previous managers and Chief Exec

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

"He has a scoring record as good as anyone," Shrews boss Paul Simpson told the club website on 17th February.

"He could''nt hit a barn door from 5 yards with a centurion tank". A Shrews fan on 30th April.

[/quote]

That final quote is hilarious.

I don''t blame Curo in any way. He''s been a good servant and can look back on a great career. Few have better records in the lower leagues. Only shame is his best form has been away from Norwich. His career is almost over but I''ll always have respect for what he''s done.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]I don''t blame Curo in any way. He''s been a good servant and can look back on a great career.[/quote]For Reading and Bristol, perhaps.  For Norwich? No.

This is spooky...

There is a message on a Shrews board from someone who loves ''Jamie Lad'' by the name of First Warlock. [^o)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Good article.  It''s spooky that I was about to sit down and do the maths to work out the cost of each goal.  I guesstimated £7,500 so not far out.

Admittedly Peter Grant must carry the can for the ludicrous contract offered, and you can''t blame Cureton for signing on the dotted line, but he seems to be the only person in God''s great universe who thinks he still has something to offer apart from the ability to test the reflexes of the fans in rows X, Y and Z.
[/quote]

No I don''t think so.  The manager is NOT responsible for negotiating players'' contracts.  His job is to identify the players he wants and the Chief Exec sorts out transfer fees and contracts.  Goodness only know what Doomcaster was up to.  Maybe he thought it was worth it to pacify the restless natives by bringing back a fans'' favourite. 

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

This is spooky...

There is a message on a Shrews board from someone who loves ''Jamie Lad'' by the name of First Warlock. [^o)]

[/quote]Methinks they are all a load of old warlocks Wazzy! [;)][:D]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Good article.  It''s spooky that I was about to sit down and do the maths to work out the cost of each goal.  I guesstimated £7,500 so not far out.Admittedly Peter Grant must carry the can for the ludicrous contract offered, and you can''t blame Cureton for signing on the dotted line, but he seems to be the only person in God''s great universe who thinks he still has something to offer apart from the ability to test the reflexes of the fans in rows X, Y and Z.[/quote]

Technically, hasn''t Holt cost £20,000 per goal so far?

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]I don''t blame Curo in any way. He''s been a good servant and can look back on a great career. Few have better records in the lower leagues. Only shame is his best form has been away from Norwich. His career is almost over but I''ll always have respect for what he''s done.[/quote]Speaks for me too, let it be and all that.

Leave him alone. He made the mistake of carrying on that little bit too long.

Some, like Teddy Sheringham and Dion Dublin defied the years, Jamie could not,

Roeder noticed it, it was a pity that Grant had previously failed to when getting out the cheque book.. The money spent on the player:- fee (£800, 000+) and big wages meant that re-signing JC was one of  biggest mistakes of our recent history. Both Gunn and Lambert also wasted a bit of faith in the player, with very limited returns.

Financial mis-management pushed us into League 1. This was the most obvious example. 

Mind yout there are dozens more.

[quote user="Amarillo"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Good article.  It''s spooky that I was about to sit down and do the maths to work out the cost of each goal.  I guesstimated £7,500 so not far out.Admittedly Peter Grant must carry the can for the ludicrous contract offered, and you can''t blame Cureton for signing on the dotted line, but he seems to be the only person in God''s great universe who thinks he still has something to offer apart from the ability to test the reflexes of the fans in rows X, Y and Z.[/quote]

Technically, hasn''t Holt cost £20,000 per goal so far?[/quote]I was talking about salary, not transfer fee.  If Holt''s on Cureton''s wages e.g. £5k/week then 1 year''s salary of 250k/goals scored is considerably less than Curo''s 3 years on £5k/week for less goals than Holt has scored in one season.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]I don''t blame Curo in any way. He''s been a good servant and can look back on a great career. Few have better records in the lower leagues. Only shame is his best form has been away from Norwich. His career is almost over but I''ll always have respect for what he''s done.[/quote]Speaks for me too, let it be and all that.[/quote][img]http://hunternuttall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/let-it-be.jpg[/img]Though I prefer the colour scheme on this one:[img]http://www.culch.ie/images/Beatles003.jpg[/img]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Leave him alone. He made the mistake of carrying on that little bit too long.

Some, like Teddy Sheringham and Dion Dublin defied the years, Jamie could not,

[/quote]And if that was the end of it I''d be happy, but what riles me is his relentless whinging.  Since he came back to Norwich, we''ve had:"Grant took my confidence away.""Roeder took my confidence away.""I play better with a target man.""I still have something to offer.""Lambert doesn''t rate me.""I wasn''t part of the promotion party and feel left out."He should keep his mouth shut as he clearly lives in la-la land where you get paid a fantastic salary for being hopeless.

Mister Chops, how was your London Marathon? i''m still suffering!

[quote user="Marty"]Mister Chops, how was your London Marathon? i''m still suffering![/quote]On Monday I had to go down the stairs backwards (that sounds like a euphemism but isn''t).  Tuesday was worse but I had a sports massage which helped, and I went out for a 5 mile run on Thursday.  Next race is the Dereham 10 miler on May 16 so I can''t hang about too long, I''m going out tomorrow for 7-8 miles.  How did you get on in the marathon?

My legs were solid, it took 2 or 3 days to ease off. I haven''t run this week due to getting a cold, glad it didnt happen before. I got a ballot place but choose to run for Diabetes UK and  raised over £1500, so I did feel a bit of extra pressure.

I enjoyed up to 20 miles and then felt like I was running with an ape on my back for the last few miles. I was pleased with my time but a little dissapointed to have suffered so much at the end.

I really wanted to get under 4 hours, next year will be 3:54 as I''ll run 9 minute miles consistently all the way round.  This year I started too slowly, planning to run the 2nd half quicker but by the time I got to Tower Bridge I could only keep at the same pace, 9:45/miles.  Really annoyed about that, plus I didn''t realise you can''t really overtake as so many people are running alongside you - so you have to start at one speed and maintain it.  The Blackwall tunnel at 23 miles was a real personal low point.Well done with your fundraising, that''s a real achievement in this climate.  I got a ballot place so was spared the need to fundraise though friends & family chipped in for about £300 for Clic Sargent.

Yes that tunnel was not good for me either, loads of people choose to walk that section since the crowd weren''t able to cheer you on at that point. I did 3h 18mins but should have been on for a sub 3h15mins, not that is makes much difference I guess. I might stick to half marathons from now on, they are easier to train for! I was amazed at the amount of people really suffering at the end, it made me feel better! like was all share each others pain.

Frickin'' 3 hours 18 is an awesome time!  That''s an hour faster than me.  [:$]I need to improve speed generally. Any tips?  Efforts/intervals?  Hill runs?  I can run a half marathon in 1h 40 so I''m not a total loss.

Well maybe i''m not the person to talk to, people tell me training is all wrong anyway! I only do 3 runs a week tops, but do spin and circuits in the gym. I think my running speed is generally quite fast, so my long slow runs are not as slow as they should be and maybe I need more recovery time, but it seems to work. So I rarely train at under marathon pace, but this may be too much and lead to injury, but I have been Ok for the last few years since I took up running. I was always a bit sceptical about the slow recovery runs, so I didn''t do them, I figured rest was better for me. Anyway, my curry has turned up, must dash. Good luck with the running. Oh, one last thing, I do regular hills, I have really felt the difference following these.

also, with a 1h40mins HM you may well be capable of well under 4h, maybe 3 and half, although obviously the full marathon is a different beast as I found out! Curry time.

According to Radio Norfolk this morning Shrewsbury have terminated the deal, so he will be back here.

[quote user="paul ncfc"]According to Radio Norfolk this morning Shrewsbury have terminated the deal, so he will be back here.[/quote]Watch out Upper Barclay and Snakepit [;)]