Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Pitch Invasions - Players being attacked

There has now been two instances of violence shown to the actual players as opposed to rival supporters (Sheff Wed. vs Palace & Luton vs. York)..it seems the local idiots are now using these last games as some kind of excuse to cause havoc..It is me or has this year seen more pitch invasions then ever before?  You can understand the likes of Rochdale fans doing it, after the first promotion in 50-odd years but idiots at every club now take it as a chance to run on the pitch to taunt the away fans regardless of the position of the two teams.

this is exactly why norwich dont allow it, because a minority of thugs will cause trouble and make the club look bad

[quote user="The Lord"]There has now been two instances of violence shown to the actual players as opposed to rival supporters (Sheff Wed. vs Palace & Luton vs. York)..it seems the local idiots are now using these last games as some kind of excuse to cause havoc..

It is me or has this year seen more pitch invasions then ever before?  You can understand the likes of Rochdale fans doing it, after the first promotion in 50-odd years but idiots at every club now take it as a chance to run on the pitch to taunt the away fans regardless of the position of the two teams.
[/quote]

I understand from a friend of mine who lives in Stockport that it was not to pleasent either at the Stockport Huddersfield game. According to the news today there are now investigations by the FA against Sheff Weds and Luton.

While the pitch invasion at Luton was inexcusable, they were saying on the local tv news last night that none of the players were caught up in it.  According to the police no injuries were reported, and no arrests were made ?  I''d imagine Luton will get a hefty fine, I bet Nick Owen wonders why he bothers sometimes.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]While the pitch invasion at Luton was inexcusable, they were saying on the local tv news last night that none of the players were caught up in it.  According to the police no injuries were reported, and no arrests were made ?  I''d imagine Luton will get a hefty fine, I bet Nick Owen wonders why he bothers sometimes.[/quote]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/8658657.stmRichard Brodie (York City) was hit on the head with a £1 coin as was another player

I remember back in the day when Yeovil were promoted to the conference from the ICIS league it was a friendly and fun affair!The players stuck on the pitch too [:d]

Ouch !  Someone should tell the police because they think there''s nothing more to see...I guess there''s nothing for it then, we''ll have to ban money from matches !

[quote user="blahblahblah"]While the pitch invasion at Luton was inexcusable, they were saying on the local tv news last night that none of the players were caught up in it.  According to the police no injuries were reported, and no arrests were made ?  I''d imagine Luton will get a hefty fine, I bet Nick Owen wonders why he bothers sometimes.
[/quote]

the players were attacked and bombarded with objects as they tried to get along the back of the stand to safety. They were in the stands as supporters were trying to attack them on the pitch. Apparently outside the ground the fans raided a DIY shop and stole anything that could be used as a weapon and and dustbin lids to use as shields. Bet the guy in brown jumper and blonde hairon the news clips will get more than a banning order.

[quote user="The Lord"][quote user="blahblahblah"]While the pitch invasion at Luton was inexcusable, they were saying on the local tv news last night that none of the players were caught up in it.  According to the police no injuries were reported, and no arrests were made ?  I''d imagine Luton will get a hefty fine, I bet Nick Owen wonders why he bothers sometimes.[/quote]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/8658657.stmRichard Brodie (York City) was hit on the head with a £1 coin as was another player[/quote]Yep, the York players got caught by the advancing Luton fans whilst celebrating in front of their own fans, couldn''t get near the tunnel so had to climb into the away end and exit through there whilst having coins and bottles thrown at them. With the media coverage this has got there''s hopefully no way this can be swept under the carpet. It''s a shame for the real Luton fans because they took 40,000 to Wembley last year when they won the JPT and as far as I know were praised for the good atmosphere and behaviour.

You''d think, of all the places to invade the pitch and attempt violence on other human beings for football reasons, Hillsborough might perhaps be one of the last to see it. But no!

I don''t get our own club''s attitude entirely - zero tolerance of angry mobs, yes... but isn''t there a huge difference between a few dozen Rotherham-style celebrating fans and a couple of hundred Luton/Wed-style bitter thugs?

Like, you wouldn''t let Millwall or Ippo supporters mix with ours around a crucial clash, but you would take a relaxed attitude to mid-table Bristol Rovers or Carlisle fans mixing with ours now that we''ve won the league.

And it''s not zero tolerance either, since apparently (being slightly facetious here) that pregnant lady will no longer have been distressed by the crowd crush towards the pitch last Saturday if people don''t invade the pitch this Saturday coming... a bit confusing.

But rather our policing policy than blooming Luton''s, any day.

*"a few dozen Rotherham-style" - I meant our own recent pitch invaders were only a few dozen; I appreciate Rotherham had loads on the pitch!

*"mix with ours" - I meant before/after the game

It''s time to get tough on pitch invasions before things get much worse. I see the club are offering an amnesty if people behave at the Carlisle game, so let''s hope they keep off the pitch.

With regard to the sheff Wed v Palace game that was incident waiting to happen. Anyone listening to Talksport on Sunday and hearing Ray Houghton''s cretinous remarks in defence of the Palace players will realise how little some hvae learnt.

Given the emotions would be running high it should have been accepted that bot sets of players leave the pitch straigt after the game. To allow the Palce players to cavort in fron of their own fans was asking for troublr.

As to the behaviour of the Luton fans that was disgraceful. Let''s hope as many as posible of these a***h***s are jailed. If players aren''t safe on a football pitch then that ground should NOT have a license.

As to Weds anyone at Hillsborough in 1982 will remeber them invading the pitch at that game. Not only sttreaming over to the away end after the game but being on the pitch when Weds scored their second goal.

[quote user="The Lord"]There has now been two instances of violence shown to the actual players as opposed to rival supporters (Sheff Wed. vs Palace & Luton vs. York)..it seems the local idiots are now using these last games as some kind of excuse to cause havoc..

It is me or has this year seen more pitch invasions then ever before?  You can understand the likes of Rochdale fans doing it, after the first promotion in 50-odd years but idiots at every club now take it as a chance to run on the pitch to taunt the away fans regardless of the position of the two teams.
[/quote]

Its time to bring back flogging and the stocks!

This is exactly why the club don''t want people spilling on to the pitch every chance they get. In theory - no one really minds a good natured, spontaneous love in, but the club can''t be expected to just say ''hey anything goes''. They''re not covered for it... Insurance must get seriously blurry once the required policing and stewarding measures fail. As good natured as it generally is, there''s no legislating for giddy hoons who are probably three sheets to the wind or 12 year olds high on orange squash with an unhealthy respect for Danny Dyer. Not to mention the reaction of opposition fans... If anyone so much as clipped an oppo player round the ear or a player got injured by someone jumping on them (or even attacking them like at Luton), we''d be looking at points docked and hefty fines. I don''t feel the need for the CEO to start hauling out the "family club" mantra, but some common sense is in order. Pitch invasions used to be a reasonable indicator of euphoria in times of extreme relief or jubilation. They are increasing in number and are becoming less good natured. If I was running a club I''d be really worried about the implications. Apart from anything else, pre-planning them is so dull and embarrassing.

Questions may need to be asked of the policing. Whilst they seem to like getting stuck into protesters, it seems to be a different story when there perhaps exists reason to start getting involved physically.