Sign in to follow this  
Woman in the Stands (WITS)

What might have been - the alternative 2009-10 season

Another good read.. well I can''t quite say that.. It was a good read until it all got a little too painful after Gunn benched Rudd and I stopped reading.... Nothing against your writing. In fact, credit to it as I was feeling like we were in that situation, and feeling bad!

I don''t know if we would have been quite that bad but the general themes of a dissapointing season (probably around 12th), losing the big games (Leeds, Millwall certainly) and diminshing attandances with our best players leaving are all pretty accurate. A good if slightly painful read! Thank goodness the 7-1 happened. I now understand the phrase ''all things happen for a reason.''

[quote user="i want mortys babies"]nightmares for me tonight that was scary[/quote]Interesting choice of username lol.

I would like to apologise now to any posters who read my latest blog last night before bed-time then experienced unpleasant dreams as a result. My recommendation to prevent further sufferings is to ensure you are at Carrow Road on Saturday where I believe a party [<:o)] atmosphere should dispel any lingering side-effects. 

I had an email from a friend and he set me this challenge, which I now pass onto you. Can you spot it? I didn''t.There is however one huge, mahoosive inaccuracy

in your article

which has not been picked up on in the thread you created it !!!???

Neil Doncaster had already been sacked in the real world before the

announcement''s of Gunn''s reappointment and the beginning of your

alternative dystopian chronology, so he was not there to be sacked by

you later on! The chief executive you would have to sack would be

McNally...[:D][:O][:D]

[quote user="Barclaybred"]Are you a writer? or a english teacher? You seemed to have a knack for words and communicating your point :)[/quote]A knack for words and communicating my point? That pretty much rules out being me an English teacher, doesn''t it?!?!?![:D][:O][;)][:D]

In all honesty, I didn''t enjoy reading this article...it made me think how badly it could have turned out under Gunn!

A very enjoyable, if very scary read! After the Colchester game on the opening day if you''d have predicted this I''d have agreed with you 100. I''m truly thankfull now that wasn''t the case. Congrats on scaring most of the Pink''un population too!

Right, lots to respond to so here goes:PC - yes Doncaster had been sacked previously but that wasn''t the error my friend picked out. We both missed that - oops [:$] Bb - I enjoy writing hence the blog. No I am not an English teacher.Thanks for reading it Pabs and posting a comment even though you didn''t enjoy it.Cheers for the feedback Superflash. Yes, I think I succeeded in scaring many people lolJust as well it was a work of fiction - horror

fiction of course!

An interesting article - well thought out and so very, very, very possible. Makes you very glad for what actually did happen!

"Imagine the dressing room before kick-off, Tuesday 11th August, away at Yeovil; Gunn names an unchanged side from that which lost against Colchester."

Yes, but Gunn didn''t name an unchanged side against Yeovil. He made changes, notably, replacing Theoklitis who had been introduced and highly recommended, by Ian Crook motivated the team and they bounced back after what was a tremendous performance and won 4 to zero at Yeovil - compared to the subsequent 3-3 league draw there under Lambert which I also attended. Not that any on here will agree but it is a fact that Gunn and Butterworth and their squad were not given the chance to show what a good (or bad) management team they could have been. As Delia said only the other day, the 7-1 defeat was a one-off and the glaring error was playing Theoklitis. Fact is that Gunn had achieved alot of very positive re-building in a very short time bearing in mind the poisonous shambolic situation he inherited. I was at Rovers on saturday and was really impressed (agaian) with players that Gunn brought in such as Nelson, Matty Gill, Hughes not to mention Holt who of course has been a sensational signing for us. All that having been said, this isn''t meant to be a pro-Gunn monologue just an attempt to provide some sensible balance. It''s so easy to mock someone when it''s not to their face and they don''t have the right of reply. I am of course delighted with what our players have achieved under Lambert. I wonder how long Lambert will stay ? Not very long if he does well in the Championship is my guess. I also wonder if Gunn and Butterworth would have been a better long term bet, but we''ll never know despite the howls of indignation that this point will no doubt provoke !

I should have put and Holt (who of course was not playing) in brackets after mentiuoning Nelso, Gill and Hughes

[quote user="Bogbrush"]"Imagine the dressing room before kick-off, Tuesday 11th August, away at Yeovil; Gunn names an unchanged side from that which lost against Colchester."

Yes, but Gunn didn''t name an unchanged side against Yeovil. He made changes, notably, replacing Theoklitis who had been introduced and highly recommended, by Ian Crook motivated the team and they bounced back after what was a tremendous performance and won 4 to zero at Yeovil - compared to the subsequent 3-3 league draw there under Lambert which I also attended. Not that any on here will agree but it is a fact that Gunn and Butterworth and their squad were not given the chance to show what a good (or bad) management team they could have been. As Delia said only the other day, the 7-1 defeat was a one-off and the glaring error was playing Theoklitis. Fact is that Gunn had achieved alot of very positive re-building in a very short time bearing in mind the poisonous shambolic situation he inherited. I was at Rovers on saturday and was really impressed (agaian) with players that Gunn brought in such as Nelson, Matty Gill, Hughes not to mention Holt who of course has been a sensational signing for us. All that having been said, this isn''t meant to be a pro-Gunn monologue just an attempt to provide some sensible balance. It''s so easy to mock someone when it''s not to their face and they don''t have the right of reply. I am of course delighted with what our players have achieved under Lambert. I wonder how long Lambert will stay ? Not very long if he does well in the Championship is my guess. I also wonder if Gunn and Butterworth would have been a better long term bet, but we''ll never know despite the howls of indignation that this point will no doubt provoke ![/quote]I have placed in bold the most relevant point of your post.[:)]

[quote user="Bogbrush"]"Imagine the dressing room before kick-off, Tuesday 11th August, away at Yeovil; Gunn names an unchanged side from that which lost against Colchester." Yes, but Gunn didn''t name an unchanged side against Yeovil. He made changes, notably, replacing Theoklitis who had been introduced and highly recommended, by Ian Crook motivated the team and they bounced back after what was a tremendous performance and won 4 to zero at Yeovil - compared to the subsequent 3-3 league draw there under Lambert which I also attended. Not that any on here will agree but it is a fact that Gunn and Butterworth and their squad were not given the chance to show what a good (or bad) management team they could have been. As Delia said only the other day, the 7-1 defeat was a one-off and the glaring error was playing Theoklitis. Fact is that Gunn had achieved alot of very positive re-building in a very short time bearing in mind the poisonous shambolic situation he inherited. I was at Rovers on saturday and was really impressed (agaian) with players that Gunn brought in such as Nelson, Matty Gill, Hughes not to mention Holt who of course has been a sensational signing for us. All that having been said, this isn''t meant to be a pro-Gunn monologue just an attempt to provide some sensible balance. It''s so easy to mock someone when it''s not to their face and they don''t have the right of reply. I am of course delighted with what our players have achieved under Lambert. I wonder how long Lambert will stay ? Not very long if he does well in the Championship is my guess. I also wonder if Gunn and Butterworth would have been a better long term bet, but we''ll never know despite the howls of indignation that this point will no doubt provoke ![/quote]

Good points, as an alternative reality it doesn''t really stack up for all the reasons/errors that have already been pointed out. Also if the future was that dystopian Gunn would have gone by Christmas in any eventuality and as many on this board gleefully antipated so would DS/MWJ. That is not to denigrate Lambert''s ability to get the most out of the team he inherited. The more likely and in many ways more depressing other season would have been to knock about at the edge of the play-offs all season only to miss out at the death.

But that wouldn''t have played so well as a blog, would it?

Personally i think its a very good piece. All too scarily believable too.

bogbrush...Was it gunn who targeted these players or one of his co workers,with experience of playing in the olympic stadium,who recommended these players as they had experience of this level and new the players?

W.I.T.S..Then you have missed your vocation! :)

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

bogbrush...Was it gunn who targeted these players or one of his co workers,with experience of playing in the olympic stadium,who recommended these players as they had experience of this level and new the players?

W.I.T.S..Then you have missed your vocation! :)

[/quote]

Sorry, please can you clarify what you are asking. Thank you.

Was it butterworth who made the recommendation on a couple and even an assitant at another club who was once a NCFC hero(Who incidently then came and rejoined us later),who helped gunn identify another key player for this league when we went down?...

Bogbrush - the side which actually played at Yeovil I believe was NOT picked by Gunn, if the rumour mill is to be believed, and there was a dressing room falling-out as Gunn wanted to play the team which lost 1-7.You have to remember it was a piece of fiction with much poetic licence taken. Gunn et al did sign some good players - though not all of them were appropriate for the style of play here at Norwich -  yet he didn''t get the best out of them in the short time he was manager. Lambert inspired these same players within days to play better and as a team.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

W.I.T.S..Then you have missed your vocation! :)  Thankyou for the compliment

[/quote]