Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

Adel Taarabt?

This guy has been a genius for QPR this season.  Has been on-loan from Spurs i think.  If we want/need another creative midfield player then i think he would at the very least be worth trying to bring to Norwich on-loan next season.

Superb player and would really under-line our ambitions for next season.

Thoughts?

Not a bad player at all and I think he''d do a good job but would he want to move away from London even if it is only for a loan spell? Another thing we know QPR are loaded and he might be on high wages so that could be an issue. Great suggestion though, he looked a class act this season.

High wages and very bad attitude would be the stumbling blocks. He will also attract a lot of interest this summer due to some great performances for QPR (as well as a lot of very average performances as well), if Tottenham get 4th I can''t see Redknapp keeping him despite saying he is the "most talented footballer I''ve ever seen".

Have a feeling he isn''t a Lambert kind of player though. Wouldn''t be surprised to see him wearing the black and white strips of Newcastle next year though.

We don''t need him, no way you can accomodate him and Hoolahan in the same team.

Spurs are meant to have put a £4.5 million price on his head. They would obviously be lucky to get half of that but either way he is out of our price range. Don''t think he would be significantly better than Hoolahan. You''ve ultimately got the same problem that they are both fantastic players but you need to build a team which supports them and masks their weaknesses. I think Tarrabt shows much less willingness to get stuck in and track back than Wes who I think has improved that side of his game a bit this season.

Taraabt was also born with an inability to pass the ball, Wes is a far better playmaker, Taraabt the better goalscorer.

Fans need to be a little more realistic on who we could afford. Signing this guy even on loan would cost has near on 300k in fees alone, let alone his high wages. I would imagine this would be a fair chunk of our transfer budget and probably about two or even three players worth of wages. Signing loanees who didn''t care much for this club was part of the reason we got relegated... I for one don''t want to go down the route of signing loanees like this. Permanent signings of young or hungry players is the way forward. Taarabt is a decent player for sure, but there are many more out there who we could sign on a perm basis for a lot less... I fully trust Lambert, Kersa and the new chief scout (whoever that may be) to bring in the talent that is required next season.

[quote user="The Chirp"]Fans need to be a little more realistic on who we could afford.

Signing this guy even on loan would cost has near on 300k in fees alone, let alone his high wages.

I would imagine this would be a fair chunk of our transfer budget and probably about two or even three players worth of wages.

Signing loanees who didn''t care much for this club was part of the reason we got relegated... I for one don''t want to go down the route of signing loanees like this.

Permanent signings of young or hungry players is the way forward.

Taarabt is a decent player for sure, but there are many more out there who we could sign on a perm basis for a lot less...

I fully trust Lambert, Kersa and the new chief scout (whoever that may be) to bring in the talent that is required next season.
[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]Fans need to be a little more realistic on who we could afford.

Signing this guy even on loan would cost has near on 300k in fees alone, let alone his high wages.

I would imagine this would be a fair chunk of our transfer budget and probably about two or even three players worth of wages.

Signing loanees who didn''t care much for this club was part of the reason we got relegated... I for one don''t want to go down the route of signing loanees like this.

Permanent signings of young or hungry players is the way forward.

Taarabt is a decent player for sure, but there are many more out there who we could sign on a perm basis for a lot less...

I fully trust Lambert, Kersa and the new chief scout (whoever that may be) to bring in the talent that is required next season.
[/quote]

[Y]

[/quote]

Agree with all the above. For 300k Coventry signed Carl Baker permanently. That seems like a much better use of money to me.

Agree with The Chirp.

No more showroom signings, no more players living it up at Norwich for a year, good wages, nice area, little or no pressure or expectation...Worthy got rid of the ''Costa del Colney'' ethos at the club, but it seemed to sneak back in recent seasons...Lambert has got it spot on, we need these ''hungry'' players who can move up a level (and lets be honest, we are another stepping stone for them anyway) a''la Oli, or, perhaps, players who feel they have something to prove, having disappointed, else failed to live up to expectations elsewhere-and am thinking Richard Chaplow, just released by PNE here.

David Bentley was everything that a loan shouldn''t be. The thinking behind it was spot on, the reality a thousand light years away from the expectation. Taaabt could easily be another one of those signings.

I would defo take Chaplow. Bags of potential... Just needs a former European Cup winning midfielder as his manager to get him back on track... Now where can he find one of those?

It seesm to me we are in the same position as when we last got promoted. Then the central midfeild was Francis and Holt - both hard-working but lacking in any creativity (and both right-footed). So, for the step up in class to the Premier League, Worthington signed Safri, who did his fair share of graft but could pick a pass as well.Now the Francis and Holt equivalents are Smith and Russell. So my question is - does anyone know of a modern-day version of Safri out there? The complicating factor is that we now generally play a different system to that used by Worthington, but a Safri-style player could still be accommodated in the diamond, as well obviously as 4-4-2.

When you say a ''Safri-like'' player what do you mean by that? I would have thought Safri was more of a holding midfielder which is the role Russell err holds at the moment. Saf did hit a good dead ball though. You could argue that Lappin (numerous assists this season) and Chris Martin have taken over this role. Funnily enough Chaplow would add something different to the midfield. I think Chaplow was a great shout...

"So my question is - does anyone know of a modern-day version of Safri out there? "

What about this guy; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youssef_Safri

[quote user="The Chirp"]When you say a ''Safri-like'' player what do you mean by that? I would have thought Safri was more of a holding midfielder which is the role Russell err holds at the moment. [/quote]I agree about the general similarity, but whereas Russell is pretty much entirely right-footed Safri was two-footed, and was much more of a passer than Russell. Just more skilful all round. That kind of player now would be a perfect complement to either Smith or Russell in central midfield.

Chaplow is a player I have heard good things about. Is he a central midfielder or a winger? The other bloke I would be intrested in is Chris Sedgwick. Always thought he was a good hard working right winger. Something we dont currently have.