Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Beckford

Do you even need to ask that question? If his wages were 0 then I still wouldn''t he''s unsettled the whole Leeds squad causing them to go on a massive wobble and his performances this side of xmas have been shocking.

Providing he wasn''t made our "top earner" which he probably would be - YES.

He''s 26 so still got 4 year on top of his game.

He''s 6ft 2 so brings further physical presence to our strike force

He''s likely to score goals at Championship level

He''s free

BUT

He''s a big-time charlie

I don''t think he''d leave Leeds to come to Norwich if they got promoted as well. Would be a side-step/step down for him.

Overall, I''d take him. I think he''d be a decent addition to the team and if it didn''t work out we could always sell him for a few quid.

I know it isn''t strictly answering the question but there is no way he would join Norwich. He has not burnt all his bridges with Leeds to merely go to the championship. I think a Premier League move will be in the pipeline for him.

As for Beckford in term of pure footballing ability there is a hell of a lot to like. He has 71 goals from 125 games. That is a fine return in any level of football. There is no doubt he is very quick and has height but I still wouldn''t sign him. Firstly his attitude stinks. He has often looked lazy and uninterested since he didn''t get his move away in Janurary. That would have a negative effect on the dressing room. Furthermore he gets goals but he is actually incredibly wasteful in front of goal. He may struggle at a higher level where chances are at more of a premium.

That''s why I like Chris Martin a lot. If he gets a chance he tends to take it which will be crucial in the championship where chances do not come around as often. Which brings me on to the main point about why I wouldn''t take Beckford. People will accuse me of being blinkered etc but for that reason I  think Martin has the ability to go further than Beckford. He is only 21 and has scored over 20 goals this season. He may not be proven at championship level but neither is Beckford. I think it would a great shame to stunt Martin''s development. He has struck up a good understanding with Holt too. Something which will be crucial to how well we perform next season.

The last time Leeds were in the Championship, Beckford was made to look very, very odinary. It ended with him going back to League 1 on loan to Scunthorpe didn''t it??

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

He has often looked lazy and uninterested since he didn''t get his move away in Janurary.

[/quote]

Or perhaps he did get a move sorted out and already knows where he''ll be playing next season.

Well either way GJP, it doesn''t exactly do a lot for dressing room morale does it.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

He has often looked lazy and uninterested since he didn''t get his move away in Janurary.

[/quote]

Or perhaps he did get a move sorted out and already knows where he''ll be playing next season.

[/quote]Or maybe he didn''t sort anything, but he still knows he won''t be at Leeds next season. His problem was believing his own hype. Against us he didn''t look like he wanted to be there at all.

[IMG]http://images.chron.com/blogs/realrehab/archives/pictures/just_say_no.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Askounin"]Good job people on these forums don''t sign the players or else we would have Beckford and Jeffers upfront next season
[/quote]

Really? I think the vast majority of posters on here are in agreement that signing either would be a bad move.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="Askounin"]Good job people on these forums don''t sign the players or else we would have Beckford and Jeffers upfront next season[/quote]

Really? I think the vast majority of posters on here are in agreement that signing either would be a bad move.

[/quote]Yeah they are. Just the OP''s i mean

Beckford is awful lol.. He misses so many chances it''s unreal, he gets outpaced by the machine that is THE DOC! He thinks he is the best player in the world, he scores 1 in about 12 chances a game, he''s stupidly quick which gets him chances, and he misses most of them. He is also going to Everton. lol

yeah, on £2k as 5th choice i suppose. I''d rather Holt and martin starting and Oli and Cody off the bench!

He''s going Everton, as a footballer hes terrible (first touch, passing, holding the ball up) and lacks all the mental qualities required,

However, he somehow as that knack of scoring! Hes scored the same amount of League goals as Holt this year!

Also when he wants to play he can, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOX555s5seY

I think all the people saying they wouldnt have him are been very bias!

[quote user="CDMullins"]

He''s going Everton, as a footballer hes terrible (first touch, passing, holding the ball up) and lacks all the mental qualities required,

However, he somehow as that knack of scoring! Hes scored the same amount of League goals as Holt this year!

Also when he wants to play he can, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOX555s5seY

I think all the people saying they wouldnt have him are been very bias!

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone doubts the ability. It''s just his attitude is appalling as his finishing. Why have someone at the club who is going to affect team morale when in Chris Martin I believe we have got someone there already who can do the job. Beckford squandered some great chances against us at Elland Road. He didnt even get the winner right. It went if off Otsemobor. I think if that had''t happened Forster might actually have saved the shot.

I agree with Mullins. People are biased and have forgotten that Paul Lambert runs this football club and I couldn''t see him letting any billy big b0llocks come in and behave as Beckford has done at Leeds. Grayson, on the other hand is a wet leaf and Beckford has walked all over him and out the door for free. I''m sure if Grayson would have known he was going to have a poor 2nd half of the season he would have got a few quid for him in jan. Lambert simply wouldn''t let him have a poor season.

I actually hope that Beckfords crappy attitude has scuppered his chances of moving elsewhere. Looking at how he has behaved, if I was a manager would I want someone like that in my team?I hope Beckford has to go, cap in hand, and beg Leeds for another contract.

Beckford may well get his "big" move, but I am betting he''ll struggle with Premiership football.

He won''t be "the Daddy" anymore, the pressure and expectation of him will double, as will the training and work level expected, especially from someone like David Moyes.

He''ll get his move, but I think it won''t work for him. As has been pointed out, he looked very ordinary when he was at Leeds in the CCC, and, although he will doubtless have improved since then, I suspect that is his level, *providing* he has a Manager prepared to indulge him and make the other ten players work for him.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]Sorry but isn''t this thread pointless? I thought Everton have done a pre-window agreement with Leeds for Beckford?[/quote]Seen that in writing?Could be just yet another rumour.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]My friends told me this ages ago, I''ll see if I can find anything :S[/quote]Hmm my friends were slightly wrong,[url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/01/everton-leeds-united-jermaine-beckford[/url]But we wouldn''t stand a chance anyway.

A pre-contact agreement was signed in January, both parties could cancel, but this stopped any other club coming in for him in the mean time.

This transfer will happen