I think you mean after that, I think it was just the european cup then, and it was only top two who went.

[quote user="morty"]Were English clubs banned from Europe because of Liverpool fans?

[/quote]Yeah i think it was us, Derby and Forest that missed out that season due to the ban on English clubs after the Heisel Disaster.

God I feel old remembering that only the champions got to play in the champions league! to think we only qualified for the uefa cup cos arsenal won both cups too

The European Cup was for just champions before money dictated more teams from the bigger leagues were entered.I think the 97/98 season was the first year more than just champions entered with Man Utd & Newcastle representing England.

It was in 1985 that we missed out on Europe after qualifying by winning the Milk Cup because of the ban following the Heysel Stadium disaster. As mentioned above, only the champions qualified for the European Cup in 1993, but the UEFA Cup was a good consolation prize!

uefa is the same as the europa cup now,just shows how well fulham have done.. the also used to be the cup winners cup where the winners of the fa cup went. aswell as winners of all the top cups in every other country in europe

1st qualified for the European Cup 2nd qualified for the Uefa CupFa Cup Winners qualified for the Cup Winners Cup League Cup Winners qualified for the Uefa CupIn those days 3rd place was not enough for Europe at all, but as Arsenal won the FA Cup & League Cup we got the extra Uefa Cup place. Uefa Cup back then was a much tougher competition than the Europa League is now.If I remember correctly both cup finals were Arsenal Vs Sheff Weds and it didn''t matter which way round but we needed one team to win both.