Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

Chrissy Martin/Macca ..Both

Suprised me on saturday,albeit only highlights,with the ability to use both feet confidently..Watching back,martins left foot seems almost as good as his right now,has been practicing..And Macca`s showboat skill when he controlled that ball with 1 foot then dummied the defender,and fed a perfect ball to oli was true class..(the boys got tekkers!) ...Thats the great difference for me between ave/good players and great players..Using 2 feet without adjusting your body and stance to accomodate your stronger foot...

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

Suprised me on saturday,albeit only highlights,with the ability to use both feet confidently..Watching back,martins left foot seems almost as good as his right now,has been practicing..And Macca`s showboat skill when he controlled that ball with 1 foot then dummied the defender,and fed a perfect ball to oli was true class..(the boys got tekkers!) ...Thats the great difference for me between ave/good players and great players..Using 2 feet without adjusting your body and stance to accomodate your stronger foot...

[/quote]I fully agree, and that''s why Hoolahan will never make it above this level as a real threat.  I''ve also noticed that Forster is happy to clear the ball using his left, just makes me panic a little bit!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

[/quote]I fully agree, and that''s why Hoolahan will never make it above this level as a real threat.  I''ve also noticed that Forster is happy to clear the ball using his left, just makes me panic a little bit!
[/quote]

Which, bearing in mind he can hardly kick with his right, is quite funny really.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I recall Chrissy Martin at Colchester being shown inside onto his "weaker" left foot only to drill it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.
[/quote]

Yeah I was gonna say, didnt you see his goal at Colchester...

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I recall Chrissy Martin at Colchester being shown inside onto his "weaker" left foot only to drill it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol i was there! What i was saying,when he first appeared in our 1st team, till this season,he was very right footed..And over the course of this season,he seems to have progressively become more ambidextrous with his feet! ..And now that just leaves 1 minor chink in his armour...His heading ability...Average at moment,but given time and experience,this will hopefully improve and we could,no will have a star on our hands :)

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol i was there :) ..The point i was trying to make was,since he first broke into the 1st team,he was very dominantly right footed..But over the course of this season he has become more ambidextrous with his feet..On top of that his workrate has increased exponentially since his early years,and this season,he seems to have also added deadball expertise to his repertoire..Now when his heading ability,timing etc,improves,which it will with more experience,We may have our next superstar! :)

[quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I recall Chrissy Martin at Colchester being shown inside onto his "weaker" left foot only to drill it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol i was there :) ..The point i was trying to make was,since he first broke into the 1st team,he was very dominantly right footed..But over the course of this season he has become more ambidextrous with his feet..On top of that his workrate has increased exponentially since his early years,and this season,he seems to have also added deadball expertise to his repertoire..Now when his heading ability,timing etc,improves,which it will with more experience,We may have our next superstar! :)

[/quote]thought his header against Leeds was pretty good! the pressure of the game, last few mins, across the ball down into the ground, nestled into bottom corner - doesnt sound average to me

[quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol i was there! What i was saying,when he first appeared in our 1st team, till this season,he was very right footed..And over the course of this season,he seems to have progressively become more ambidextrous with his feet! ..And now that just leaves 1 minor chink in his armour...His heading ability...Average at moment,but given time and experience,this will hopefully improve and we could,no will have a star on our hands :)

[/quote]

Leeds?

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thought his header against Leeds was pretty good! the pressure of the game, last few mins, across the ball down into the ground, nestled into bottom corner - doesnt sound average to me
[/quote]

Yeah it was a great header, but I would agree with the other poster - this is still the aspect of his game which needs to be worked on and exploited a little more. But then look at Rooney, this year he has worked on his heading and is now a phenomenol all round goalscorer. I''m not saying that Martin is a Rooney, but this aspect of his game is not top drawer is it? Unlike his finishing, his finishing ability could take him to the top - he still has years of improvement to come. I would suggest that his finishing and positioning are already up there with Premiership strikers, he has a little work to do on his final ball, first touch, and heading to become the complete goalscorer. Note that I didn''t mention work rate there, since I don''t agree with those sentiments often displayed on this board, perhaps his concentration can wane at times, but he is a player who works on instinct - and so often his instinct is completely right, which is what sets him apart in my opinion, a little bit of Charisma and natural footballing intelligience.

Just to add, I think that a good example would be Alan Shearer..... he reminds me of Alan Shearer in the way that he plays, with the exception of his heading ability. Give Martin a bit more confidence in the air, make him a little stronger, and we could have a Championship or lower Prem version of Alan Shearer. That is a player who knew how to be in the right place at the right time, had intelligience, and did no rely one bit on pace. Again, I''m not saying that he is going to become a £15m England captain, but his style is similar in many respects.

Oh cmon! that header was a glancing header that was placed there! ..Okay perfect aim and i will admit for that one his positioning,moving across thinking the ball was going there,was excellent,but his ariel timing,when jumping for the ball,to give it full pelt and direction,just needs a liitle work,whereas holt has that skill down to a T...I think even in a higher league,chrissy has already progressed enough to be among the top scorers again,and think the least i think he will get,given an injury free season will be 15,and he is still only 21!

[quote user="G"]How rare is a left footer?[/quote]

a "is he left footer" means something entirely different where I live.

...but then this is a footy forum...i''m being silly again.