Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

12/1 to win Championship next season

10/1 - Burnley/M''boro

12/1 Us, Reading & QPR

Obviously it will change a bit once all the teams are sorted but looks like the bookies fancy us.!!!!

Are we worth a punt??

Not going to do it at that price. Once all the teams are sorted out and most of the buying players done throughout the summer, i would expect we will drift out a bit.

Would not back us at that price. However it does show there is increasing respect for the ''Lambert factor.''

Yep, far too short odds for a punt at the moment.  Christ if the bookies already think we are third favourites its a poor show from the rest of the league.

Interesting that the bookies also see us as a better bet than Ipswich.[:)]

[quote user="morty"]Interesting that the bookies also see us as a better bet than Ipswich.

[:)]
[/quote]

Well we are Morty FACT!![H]

[quote user="Dogger "]

[quote user="morty"]Interesting that the bookies also see us as a better bet than Ipswich.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]I think it depends on how much stupid money Marcus Evans throws at it in the summer, added in with how stupidly Keano wastes it and how quickly he loses the dressing room (If he hasn''t lost it already)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Dogger "]

[quote user="morty"]Interesting that the bookies also see us as a better bet than Ipswich.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]I think it depends on how much stupid money Marcus Evans throws at it in the summer, added in with how stupidly Keano wastes it and how quickly he loses the dressing room (If he hasn''t lost it already)[/quote]If you''re Roy Keane then you can lose the dressing  room twice a season, just replace everyone in the transfer windows and waste even more of Marcus Evans'' money.  I think we should nominate Keane for a knighthood for services to football agents.

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

12/1 is way, way too short for a club with hardly any cash - Hull and Pompey look good bets to me

[/quote]

I reckon Hull and Pompey look good bets to go into liquidation [;)]

12/1 is way, way too short for a club with hardly any cash - Hull and Pompey look good bets to me

[/quote]

Just think of all the players both of them withh have to get rid of to try and stabilise the finances!.. They''ll both be bottom half come the end of the season! :)

These odds seem to reflect the fact that on the face of it the Championship looks like it will be a pretty weak League next year. Obviously the 3 teams who won''t make it through the play offs will be there or there abouts again and Burnley seem to be the most prepared of the teams coming down.

It''s too early to say about Pompy and Hull, bith will have to sell many of their better players to make up the millions they owe, the Portsmouth adminstrator said he would have to assemble a whole new team for next year, not a good sign for them really. If Grant stays in charge though then they have a chance, he is a good manager and a very good scout of players. Hull are totally screwed, will lose the Jimmy Bullards etc from their squad and have Iain Dowie in charge, I feel League 1 awaits them in a couple of seasons.

If Leeds get up I would imagine they might be able to push for a play-off place. They have a decent amount of money and would be regarded as the "biggest" team in the League.

I''m not sure if we have the quality throughout the squad to make a real promotion push next year, hopefully if Lambert can make some good buys in the summer and keep the team spirit high then there is no reason we can''t match the Fox''s achievements of this year.

"I think it depends on how much stupid money Marcus Evans throws at it in the summer, added in with how stupidly Keano wastes it " Morty

If the indications coming out of poorman road it will be pretty much ''far call''.

Keane has stated that the squad is ''too large''. Clegg has not only stated that the debts will have to start to be paid back and the club will have to live within it''s budget.

In fact Clegg recently admitted that the club had made a profit on the loaning out of Bruce, Stead and Priskin against the two Sunderland cast offs. That should ecxplain the true nature of events at poorman road.

If not their declared rise in player and coaching costs from £8.3m to £11.8m should. Factor in Keane''s £1.5m wages and you are left with an increase of £2m. Not the £8m, £12m or even £20m the deluded paupers have been squeaking about. What money that was spent was as much from the sales of Haynes and Rhodes as anything else.

The club''s turnover dropped from £15.8 to £14.7m and will undoubtedly have dropped this season and with a shortfall of around 3000 season ticket sales at this stage it doesn''t suggest our impoverished neighbours will be spending ''stupidly''.

Evans has repeatedly shied aware frum stumping up the money when it could have been the tipping point. Interesting to compare how City and the binners reacted with regard to bringing in players when we were facing promotion and they were facing relegation.

as to the odds, well I supect a fair number of folk think they are somehow are what the bookies think will be the result rather than what money has been bet.

If some deluded pitchfork juggler was to place £1m on the binners to win the league then our odds and all other clubs would lengthen. Their''s would be VERY short. Does that mean they are more likely to win the championship, nope.

Does it mean that a whole pile of these rustic simpletons will be putting their wonga on the paupers, Not this time. I think they have been caught out too many times by the spin coming out of poorman road.

Or maybe they have just cottoned on to implications of last''s year Operation Premiership being referred to this season as ........ err, ummm ''aiming for the playoffs''

hopefully

How are Burnley that short? I really can''t see them bouncing straight back up even with the parachute payments.

[quote user="City1st"]"I think it depends on how much stupid money Marcus Evans throws at it in the summer, added in with how stupidly Keano wastes it " Morty

If the indications coming out of poorman road it will be pretty much ''far call''.

Keane has stated that the squad is ''too large''. Clegg has not only stated that the debts will have to start to be paid back and the club will have to live within it''s budget.

In fact Clegg recently admitted that the club had made a profit on the loaning out of Bruce, Stead and Priskin against the two Sunderland cast offs. That should ecxplain the true nature of events at poorman road.

If not their declared rise in player and coaching costs from £8.3m to £11.8m should. Factor in Keane''s £1.5m wages and you are left with an increase of £2m. Not the £8m, £12m or even £20m the deluded paupers have been squeaking about. What money that was spent was as much from the sales of Haynes and Rhodes as anything else.

The club''s turnover dropped from £15.8 to £14.7m and will undoubtedly have dropped this season and with a shortfall of around 3000 season ticket sales at this stage it doesn''t suggest our impoverished neighbours will be spending ''stupidly''.

Evans has repeatedly shied aware frum stumping up the money when it could have been the tipping point. Interesting to compare how City and the binners reacted with regard to bringing in players when we were facing promotion and they were facing relegation.

as to the odds, well I supect a fair number of folk think they are somehow are what the bookies think will be the result rather than what money has been bet.

If some deluded pitchfork juggler was to place £1m on the binners to win the league then our odds and all other clubs would lengthen. Their''s would be VERY short. Does that mean they are more likely to win the championship, nope.

Does it mean that a whole pile of these rustic simpletons will be putting their wonga on the paupers, Not this time. I think they have been caught out too many times by the spin coming out of poorman road.

Or maybe they have just cottoned on to implications of last''s year Operation Premiership being referred to this season as ........ err, ummm ''aiming for the playoffs''

hopefully[/quote]Interesting analysis, you have grasp of a lot more facts than I did.Their spiral is definitely downward, relegation anyone lol?

Having picked up my winnings at 7/1 this season, I think 12/1 is reasonable. The momentum is with us !! 

[quote user="paul moy"]Having picked up my winnings at 7/1 this season, I think 12/1 is reasonable. The momentum is with us !! [/quote]I might be wrong, but I highly doubt we will be as short as 12/1 by the start of the season. Id say 20/1 would be more likely. The bookies are trying to catch people celebrating promotion.

The bookies probably have more faith in the momentum factor than posters on here who mostly seem to under-rate it.

If Bowker, McNally and Lambert can get most of the big decisions right on top of the momentum we shall start with, then a comfortable top 6 finish is well within our reach.

O ye of little faith........

[;)]

OTBC

I''d hate for people to get carried away and expect too much from the squad and management, however, next season is a great opportunity for us to push for something, compared to the last few seasons the Championship has a lot less quality than it has had.

I can understand the bookies acknowledging the possibility of us ''doing a Leicester'', and to be honest, we have less obstacles in terms of opposition than they did...

[/quote]It''s possible that we may have some cash if any investment is forthcoming, maybe the bookies know something we don''t.

Hate to be neagtive here, but only one team has one the third then second tier in consecutive years since the war. 12/1 seems very misely to me. Should be about 8/1 to reach the play offs, 25/1 to win the league. Only then is it worth a punt.

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]Hate to be neagtive here, but only one team has one the third then second tier in consecutive years since the war. 12/1 seems very misely to me. Should be about 8/1 to reach the play offs, 25/1 to win the league. Only then is it worth a punt.[/quote] If everything was equal each club would have 24/1 odds which must hint that we have a chance. However what am I to know, I''m not a betting man!

Well over the last week we at Corals have been promoting odds of 22/1 for next season, trying to get customers as they collected this season''s winnings. 

A more realistic price I would suggest than 12/1 but I can see where Sky Bet are coming from, it is going to be a very open league next season and seeing as we have the momentum from this season we traditionally are a risk. 

Recently Leicester, Bristol City and Swansea have all done very well in their first season up from League 1.

"Interesting analysis, you have grasp of a lot more facts than I did."

cheers Morty

It is all out there. The figures were released by the paupers last Oct. Clegg'' s stuff appears on the EADT web page as does Keane''s comments.

You have to ask why did Evans not do something when the paupers were struggling at the bottom. The club had to turf out the high earners to pull in enough to bring in the Sunderland two. Hardly the work of someone backing them to get into the Premiership.

He''s got what he wants. A stadium, conference facilities and a training ground all for less than £4m. Plus he has a nice little tax loss running on the side. That''s why he''s srtill charging the paupers interest on the full £25m and interest on the £8.1m loan (preference shares). The more he can clock up as losses at poorman road the more he can offset against profits elsewhere in the group.

Any wonder he doesn''t want his face recognised. Any wonder he appointed a chief executive who admitted he was clueless about football finances. When the s*** does finally hit the fan* and the rural simpletons down the road actually grasp what''s been going on Evans will not be a known face.

* not the mad dog walking lamping one of the binners

I asked at William Hills for next season''s odds when I picked up my winnings but they said it was too early to quote. Obviously they thought that I was too high a risk for them. [:D]   

[quote user="City1st"]"Interesting analysis, you have grasp of a lot more facts than I did."

cheers Morty

It is all out there. The figures were released by the paupers last Oct. Clegg'' s stuff appears on the EADT web page as does Keane''s comments.

You have to ask why did Evans not do something when the paupers were struggling at the bottom. The club had to turf out the high earners to pull in enough to bring in the Sunderland two. Hardly the work of someone backing them to get into the Premiership.

He''s got what he wants. A stadium, conference facilities and a training ground all for less than £4m. Plus he has a nice little tax loss running on the side. That''s why he''s srtill charging the paupers interest on the full £25m and interest on the £8.1m loan (preference shares). The more he can clock up as losses at poorman road the more he can offset against profits elsewhere in the group.

Any wonder he doesn''t want his face recognised. Any wonder he appointed a chief executive who admitted he was clueless about football finances. When the s*** does finally hit the fan* and the rural simpletons down the road actually grasp what''s been going on Evans will not be a known face.

* not the mad dog walking lamping one of the binners[/quote]How on earth is the sh*t going to hit the fan when he disappears? Evans owns the club, I.e. the debt is HIS and is ITFC''s in name only.It is in Evans'' best interests to see us promoted so that he can write the debt off with TV money. What''s all this ''turfing out the high earners''? Stead went and was replaced with Daryl Murphy who''s wages are even bigger than Stead''s, Bruce left on-loan and we took on Healy''s wage - neither Stead nor Bruce are in Keane''s plans so I''m not quite sure what you''re hinting at but don''t let bias get in the way of a good argument eh?Fascinating how you take such a keen interest though, poorer cousin syndrome and all that...

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]Having picked up my winnings at 7/1 this season, I think 12/1 is reasonable. The momentum is with us !! [/quote]

I might be wrong, but I highly doubt we will be as short as 12/1 by the start of the season. Id say 20/1 would be more likely.

The bookies are trying to catch people celebrating promotion.
[/quote]

Yeah 12/1 is very skinny! Think as you say, they are trying to catch a few people out early, the ones who cant hold back and jump at the first price, mug punters perhaps lol.

You have got the play-off losers to come back in there, so if Cardiff and Notts Forest for example miss out, our odds should lengthen.