Sign in to follow this  
Minster Canary

Joe Lewis would come back to us if he had the chance

So the question I pose to you is would you have him as our number one next season if Forster didn''t return, would you hand the jersey to young Rudd or look at another goalkeeper elsewhere?

I honestly dont know how Rudd compares to Lewis, but if our funds are limited and if its believed Rudd is good enough for  the CCC, id rather use Rudd than pay the 400k+ we would no doubt need for Lewis. (then take lewis on a free in 2 seasons time [:P]

Its a shame, because ideally id like every Norwich player to be a fan of us, but sadly dont think our need for him weighs up with the cost, especially not if we can loan Forster for another year

Of course he would. He''d be playing in a better league for a better club. A club he loves.I''ve not seen enough of him to know whether I''d want him next season if Forster didn''t return. I''d definately not want him over Forster.

Peterborough will be holding out for in excess of million. I know we would get money knocked off because of a sell on clause but I still think the money could be better spent elsewhere. I think the Joe Lewis situation should instead provide a lesson that we just have to trust our young keepers (Rudd and Steer) and play them in the near future. The irony of chasing after Lewis would be that we would be making exactly the same the mistake which led to him leaving in the first place.

I think he is just trying to drum up a move and he knows we may need a new keeper.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Indeed VGTFABM!

I was always disappointed we flogged him.
[/quote]

Even though it''s water under the bridge now I am very sad we flogged him. I just didnt see the logic at the time. I thought 400k was peanuts for a keeper of his ability. It wasnt like he was unproven either. One of my neighbours at university was Morecambe fan and he would come back from every game raving about how well Lewis had played. Considering the money we have squandered on paying wages and loans for likes of Theoklitos, Alnwick (who in fairness is a good goalkeeper but we shouldnt have needed him) and Stuart Nelson it has not proved to be a good bit of business at all.

However the key point is we now have to focus on the here and now. We have an almost identical situation. We have Rudd and Steer who are two of the best young keepers in the country. They might not be ready yet but Rudd has certainly done well in my eyes whenever he has played. Signing Lewis would simply block both of them from first team football. Which is ironically exactly what happened to Lewis whilst at Norwich. Nothing against Lewis (who will be a fine keeper) but we simply cant allow that to happen again. The ideal solution is to sign someone like Fraser Forster or Ben Alnwick for another season on loan. By which time Rudd should be ready.

Yes i would. One of th ecountries top young keepers. Captain and player of the season for his club and being watched by Spurs,Stoke and Arsenal.We have a good sell on clause which may make him quite a viable option.

Forster would be great but if he does not stay then Rudd is the obvious replacement. Lewis has had an indifferent season and would command a decent fee that we would do better to spend in different areas