Sign in to follow this  
wrathsajoke

civic reception a waste of time

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Perhaps the whole of the city should be approached the next time there is a share issue....[/quote]

Hmmm you make a very valid point in your last post then ruin it in this one with your petulant arguement...

[quote user="ref89"]Ask Leeds fans if they think getting out of league one is something to be taken for granted and not worth celebrating.

We win only the seventh trophy in our history, getting out of a tough league at the first attempt and after several years of unstoppable decline, and its not worth an hour celebrating in the street?

Some of you need to spend the summer having a serious think about why you bother supporting Norwich City.

[/quote]

I agree with your thoughts, I can''t understand why fans wouldn''t want to celebrate, we have achieved what very few achieve and that is getting out of this division at first asking.  I shall be there, god willing celebrating Saturday, alas we won''t make it for the civic reception or celebrations in Norwich, but I hope everyone who attends has a fantastic time.

Norfolk Lutonian - I would describe myself as trucculent, rather than petulant. Not sure why it is OK for the whole city to celebrate in the teams success but not dip its hands in its pockets the next time the club needs to raise some dosh.....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Norfolk Lutonian - I would describe myself as trucculent, rather than petulant. Not sure why it is OK for the whole city to celebrate in the teams success but not dip its hands in its pockets the next time the club needs to raise some dosh.....[/quote]Never mind all that SoB, are you paying extra to get a padded seat ?

It''s an individulas choice to go or not. Personally I can''t wait. It''s called fun. If the OP want''s to stay at home and watch East Enders thats fine, it''ll improve the atmosphere.

When we went down last year there was a real chance that it was going to take the club years to get back. The league is littered with big clubs who are still trying to recover from such a disaster. So to get out at the first try is a hugh relief and well worth celebrating.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]civic reception a waste of time[/quote]And so are you.

theres absoultuly nothing wrong in celebrating what we have achieved this season after what happened at the start. im guna be down there on thurs celebrating with everyone else, why not!!!

dont be so selfish and arrogant. its also sumit for the kids and for non-season ticket holders who havnt had the chance to celebrate with the club

my problem with holding a parade and reception is that it kinda belittles the achievements of the past, and those we have in the future. The last promotion season was a real achievement, and fully warranted the celebrations we had. At the time it felt like it was the best time in our history.

We didn''t have a parade when we finished third, or after the uefa cup run. These were far greater times than winning league one. This season we have just corrected the wrongs inflicted on us by Grant, Roeder and Gunn. Yes, we''ve done it in style, and Lambert and the entire team deserve all the credit they''ve had. And I''ve celebrated like a loony as we''ve steam-rollered this division. But a parade not only opens us up to ridicule, it perpetuates the ''little old norwich'' mentality. Championship football is the MINIMUM i expect, and getting back there, in the context of our history, should not celebrated so wildly.

Having said all that, i will still go to the parade, and probably sing my heart out, if only so that my lad doesn''t miss out. I just think it''s really not appropriate.

I appreciate that i''m in the minority in thinking this way, but i hope that in 30 years time this isn''t a season that i''ll look back on with any great affection, just a sense of satisfaction at doing the job required.

And as for it being an opportunity to allow those who don''t make it to many games a chance to celebrate, surely they''re no more likely to able to attend this, than Carrow Rd on a Saturday?

[quote]I just think it''s really not appropriate.[/quote]Would it be appropriate for Charlton or Southampton to have one, had they one the league ?  I bet Leeds would have had one had they been champions at the 3rd time of asking.

[quote user="crab"]my problem with holding a parade and reception is that it kinda belittles the achievements of the past, and those we have in the future. The last promotion season was a real achievement, and fully warranted the celebrations we had. At the time it felt like it was the best time in our history.

We didn''t have a parade when we finished third, or after the uefa cup run. These were far greater times than winning league one. This season we have just corrected the wrongs inflicted on us by Grant, Roeder and Gunn. Yes, we''ve done it in style, and Lambert and the entire team deserve all the credit they''ve had. And I''ve celebrated like a loony as we''ve steam-rollered this division. But a parade not only opens us up to ridicule, it perpetuates the ''little old norwich'' mentality. Championship football is the MINIMUM i expect, and getting back there, in the context of our history, should not celebrated so wildly.

Having said all that, i will still go to the parade, and probably sing my heart out, if only so that my lad doesn''t miss out. I just think it''s really not appropriate.

I appreciate that i''m in the minority in thinking this way, but i hope that in 30 years time this isn''t a season that i''ll look back on with any great affection, just a sense of satisfaction at doing the job required.

And as for it being an opportunity to allow those who don''t make it to many games a chance to celebrate, surely they''re no more likely to able to attend this, than Carrow Rd on a Saturday?[/quote]Yes but it''s all relevent.. When we won the Championship we were a Championship winning side, the same with our run in UEFA.. Now we''re a league 1 side that has just won the league.. It''s only arrogance that would lead people into thinking that we shouldn''t celebrate.

I''ll be in the Bell on Thursday 13th of May around 18:00 with my camera phone. I''ll have a few sherbets before the team come down St Stephens....I''ll venture out as they pass.....take a few piccies.....give a few waves and a couple of cheers......Then retire back into the Bell for some more 8 Ace........Friday, day off.....nice.

"Ah luvs me fuggin'' bairns me....I divvent bray ''em or nowt..."

[quote user="AndyCanary"]

Yes but it''s all relevent.. When we won the Championship we were a Championship winning side, the same with our run in UEFA.. Now we''re a league 1 side that has just won the league.. It''s only arrogance that would lead people into thinking that we shouldn''t celebrate.
[/quote]

See, thats what I was GOING to say but couldn''t work out how to put it.

I was thinking of going because this is likely to be the last season for a while I''ll be able to go regularly and they won the league, which is an achievement.
Should I not want to celebrate with the team because it''s only League One?

if it''s arrogant to expect us to be a top flight club, then guilty as charged.

Of course i know its not that simple, and u have to earn the right to get back there.

I''m not saying don''t celebrate, there''s plenty of chances to celebrate. It''s just that a parade is OTT.

But i''m being a bit hypocritical, cos despite my reservations, i will go anyway.

[quote user="crab"]if it''s arrogant to expect us to be a top flight club, then guilty as charged.

Of course i know its not that simple, and u have to earn the right to get back there.

I''m not saying don''t celebrate, there''s plenty of chances to celebrate. It''s just that a parade is OTT.

But i''m being a bit hypocritical, cos despite my reservations, i will go anyway.[/quote]nail..head

[quote user="ricky knight"]I was and i am still thoroughly pxssed that we were in Div3 but promotion at the first attempt is still an achievement worth celebrating ask leeds.[/quote]

[quote user="The Lord"]I''m with the OP on this one, taking nothing away from the acheivement of winning the league especially after the start....

However like he states we''ve had 4 games to celebrate it, a civic reception should be reserved for great occasions (such as winning promotion to the premier league or winning the FA.Cup)..

Winning League one for a club of our statue (and this is no disrespect to the other teams in this division) should be celebrated in the manner done thus far...it does not warrant a parade round the city, maybe display the trophy in the castle mall and have a ''meet and greet'' photo session or something but a civic reception?

...On the plus side though it''s good for the City''s pubs
[/quote]

You are right my Lord

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="crab"]my problem with holding a parade and reception is that it kinda belittles the achievements of the past, and those we have in the future. The last promotion season was a real achievement, and fully warranted the celebrations we had. At the time it felt like it was the best time in our history. We didn''t have a parade when we finished third, or after the uefa cup run. These were far greater times than winning league one. This season we have just corrected the wrongs inflicted on us by Grant, Roeder and Gunn. Yes, we''ve done it in style, and Lambert and the entire team deserve all the credit they''ve had. And I''ve celebrated like a loony as we''ve steam-rollered this division. But a parade not only opens us up to ridicule, it perpetuates the ''little old norwich'' mentality. Championship football is the MINIMUM i expect, and getting back there, in the context of our history, should not celebrated so wildly. Having said all that, i will still go to the parade, and probably sing my heart out, if only so that my lad doesn''t miss out. I just think it''s really not appropriate. I appreciate that i''m in the minority in thinking this way, but i hope that in 30 years time this isn''t a season that i''ll look back on with any great affection, just a sense of satisfaction at doing the job required. And as for it being an opportunity to allow those who don''t make it to many games a chance to celebrate, surely they''re no more likely to able to attend this, than Carrow Rd on a Saturday?[/quote]

Yes but it''s all relevent.. When we won the Championship we were a Championship winning side, the same with our run in UEFA.. Now we''re a league 1 side that has just won the league.. It''s only arrogance that would lead people into thinking that we shouldn''t celebrate.
[/quote]

Of course we should celebrate, but lets keep a sence of proprtionality here, enjoy Saturday and leave it there.

"I was and i am still thoroughly pxssed that we were in Div3 "

That''s nearly a year of being drunk, you need to get over it. We''ve been promoted.

[quote user="crab"]my problem with holding a parade and reception is that it kinda belittles the achievements of the past, and those we have in the future. The last promotion season was a real achievement, and fully warranted the celebrations we had. At the time it felt like it was the best time in our history.

And as for it being an opportunity to allow those who don''t make it to many games a chance to celebrate, surely they''re no more likely to able to attend this, than Carrow Rd on a Saturday?[/quote]No because some of us can''t get tickets for games because they''re sold out all the time, you don''t need tickets for this event.