Sign in to follow this  
wrathsajoke

civic reception a waste of time

we have had 4 games to celebrate promotion so whats the point of the same old thing with a civic reception? waste of time and money imo afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap

"afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap"

I''d bet you''d need Lambert''s help to accomplish that, much like we did.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]we have had 4 games to celebrate promotion so whats the point of the same old thing with a civic reception? waste of time and money imo afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap[/quote]

Very arrogant and insulting to the rest of the teams in league 1 don''t you think? We were in this league because like the rest we deserved to be in it.  We should count ourselves very lucky that Mcnally found us Lambert and got us back out.

This has probably been the strongest Third Division for 20 years or more, with Leeds, Charlton and Southampton all competing for promotion places in this league. You could add to them, MK Dons, Col Who, Bristol Rovers and Huddersfield, all who had backing from various pundits to do something this year. Leeds and Charlton both looked nailed on for promotion at one time, so I think it is a "terrific" achievement by Lambo, Cully and their boys to win the division so convincingly at the first time of asking. Bravo!

If we fell into a black hole and appeared in League 1 your rant would have some relevance. But we didn''t we got relegated here. So why should we be as arrogant to think it''s not our level and an achievment to have won the league? We were relegated because we weren''t good enough for the Championship. Simples.Come back in a couple of weeks or so with another rant, until then ta ta.

I wonder why some people bother supporting Norwich... We have years of loss, pain and agony and when we finally win something people don''t want to celebrate! It doesn''t matter what league you''re in... if you win it you should celebrate it. You might look at League One as poor and that Norwich are too big to have been in it in the first place... but Norwich made it look easy as they played excellently. There will be a lot of big clubs still in league one next season... including Sheff Weds, Southampton and three teams out of Leeds, Charlton, Swindon, Millwall and Huddersfield. - I bet all of these clubs would celebrate if they were in our position. Last time I saw our trophy cabinet, it was hardly full of silverware. Enjoy it.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]we have had 4 games to celebrate promotion so whats the point of the same old thing with a civic reception? waste of time and money imo afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap[/quote]So don''t go!

Just let the many thousands of others enjoy that rare moment of success from a brilliant outfit celbrating a stunning turnaround..

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]we have had 4 games to celebrate promotion so whats the point of the same old thing with a civic reception? waste of time and money imo afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap[/quote]You miserable git.  Will you be there ?

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]we have had 4 games to celebrate promotion so whats the point of the same old thing with a civic reception? waste of time and money imo afterall its like me throwing a party for beating my 2 year old at snap[/quote]

IMO these comments are a bit of an insult to the players, McNally and Paul Lambert. For some of our players this will be their biggest acheivement to date, for others it may be the only time in their careers that they win something. Unlike most of our squads over the last few years these guys did the job they were asked to do and more importantly with green and yellow blood running through their veins. This squad probably stopped our club becoming a bankrupt league 2 club. The likes of Gill spending a season on the bench and still being proud to represent Norwich spring to mind. 

They have brought this club and City together, why should we not celebrate together.

With regards the money part of your statement surely this shows how far McNally has taken this club, if Doncaster was still in charge this would have cost us a fortune ( not that we would have won anything ). As it is McNally has quite clearly sold the event and got others to stump up the cash.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of the City celebrating on Look East 

I was and i am still thoroughly pxssed that we were in Div3 but promotion at the first attempt is still an achievement worth celebrating ask leeds.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

IMO these comments are a bit of an insult to the players, McNally and Paul Lambert. For some of our players this will be their biggest acheivement to date, for others it may be the only time in their careers that they win something. Unlike most of our squads over the last few years these guys did the job they were asked to do and more importantly with green and yellow blood running through their veins. This squad probably stopped our club becoming a bankrupt league 2 club. The likes of Gill spending a season on the bench and still being proud to represent Norwich spring to mind. 

They have brought this club and City together, why should we not celebrate together.

With regards the money part of your statement surely this shows how far McNally has taken this club, if Doncaster was still in charge this would have cost us a fortune ( not that we would have won anything ). As it is McNally has quite clearly sold the event and got others to stump up the cash.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of the City celebrating on Look East 

[/quote]Don''t worry, he''ll be back in a couple of weeks to completely contradict himself with a topic about how our team isn''t good enough for the Championship.

simple maths. You Win a trophy = you celebrate. Some fans had not been able to get tickets to the last few games as such it gives them a chance to celebrate with their team. Look at the likes of Cody, Oli, Frazer, Korey etc this is the biggest thing they have ever won in their careers to date. Celebration well deserved and I hope everyone enjoys it. Think it is a waste of time, stay at home and watch DVDs of the previous 3 seasons, may remind you that having something to celebrate is a refreshing change.

I''m with the OP on this one, taking nothing away from the acheivement of winning the league especially after the start....However like he states we''ve had 4 games to celebrate it, a civic reception should be reserved for great occasions (such as winning promotion to the premier league or winning the FA.Cup)..Winning League one for a club of our statue (and this is no disrespect to the other teams in this division) should be celebrated in the manner done thus far...it does not warrant a parade round the city, maybe display the trophy in the castle mall and have a ''meet and greet'' photo session or something but a civic reception?...On the plus side though it''s good for the City''s pubs

[quote user="The Lord"]I''m with the OP on this one, taking nothing away from the acheivement of winning the league especially after the start....However like he states we''ve had 4 games to celebrate it, a civic reception should be reserved for great occasions (such as winning promotion to the premier league or winning the FA.Cup)..Winning League one for a club of our statue (and this is no disrespect to the other teams in this division) should be celebrated in the manner done thus far...it does not warrant a parade round the city, maybe display the trophy in the castle mall and have a ''meet and greet'' photo session or something but a civic reception?...On the plus side though it''s good for the City''s pubs[/quote]Your totally wrong, your assuming we all have season tickets? I managed to get a ticket to Charlton away, so managed to celebrate promotion there, but couldn''t get tickets for the Bristol game, Carlisle game or the Gillingham game, so haven''t had a chance to actually celebrate winning the title yet, this civic reception is a good way for me, and many others who can''t get to all the games to celebrate. You might of had 3 games to celebrate the title, but most people have had none.

as i said in another thread

doubt ill be there either. its league one, i just cant

get excited about winning it. what if gunn had stayed got relegated and

won league two next season. would we have an open top bus for winning

that as well. "its a trophy".

thats how i see it.

"its league one, i just cant get excited about winning it"

You can''t get excited about winning the league...? What?! Hello?!

I am not against a civic reception, my main issues are that loads of "hangers on" will turn, loads of unofficial merchandise sellers will try to cash in and those season ticket holders that have supported the club through thick and thin but live a long distance from Norwich will not be able to attend and therfore miss out on the opportunity.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am not against a civic reception, my main issues are that loads of "hangers on" will turn, loads of unofficial merchandise sellers will try to cash in and those season ticket holders that have supported the club through thick and thin but live a long distance from Norwich will not be able to attend and therfore miss out on the opportunity.[/quote]People who live far away might miss out on the opportunity, but if they didn''t have a reception, then everybody would miss out on the opportunity. I''m not a season ticket holder (no point because I can''t guarantee Saturdays off) but I''ve still been to most home and away games this year, so i''ve also followed the club through thick and thin!!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am not against a civic reception, my main issues are that loads of "hangers on" will turn, loads of unofficial merchandise sellers will try to cash in and those season ticket holders that have supported the club through thick and thin but live a long distance from Norwich will not be able to attend and therfore miss out on the opportunity.[/quote]So what should the club do exactly? Not have a civic reception because some people might not be able to attend?!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am not against a civic reception, my main issues are that loads of "hangers on" will turn, loads of unofficial merchandise sellers will try to cash in and those season ticket holders that have supported the club through thick and thin but live a long distance from Norwich will not be able to attend and therfore miss out on the opportunity.[/quote]You mean that ''hangers on'' who claim to support the club but do no more than check the results could get entangled in the celebrations and be turned into better fans and god forbid may buy merchandise or attend matches!?...WE MUST PUT A STOP TO THIS OUTRAGE!!!!!

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="The Lord"]I''m with the OP on this one, taking nothing away from the acheivement of winning the league especially after the start....However like he states we''ve had 4 games to celebrate it, a civic reception should be reserved for great occasions (such as winning promotion to the premier league or winning the FA.Cup)..Winning League one for a club of our statue (and this is no disrespect to the other teams in this division) should be celebrated in the manner done thus far...it does not warrant a parade round the city, maybe display the trophy in the castle mall and have a ''meet and greet'' photo session or something but a civic reception?...On the plus side though it''s good for the City''s pubs[/quote]Your totally wrong, your assuming we all have season tickets? I managed to get a ticket to Charlton away, so managed to celebrate promotion there, but couldn''t get tickets for the Bristol game, Carlisle game or the Gillingham game, so haven''t had a chance to actually celebrate winning the title yet, this civic reception is a good way for me, and many others who can''t get to all the games to celebrate. You might of had 3 games to celebrate the title, but most people have had none. [/quote]I''m not assuming that everyone has season-tickets at all ellis206, I no longer have one myself after working in Somerset for most of the year though I still go to home games when I''m back this way and the odd away game (yeovil, swindon and millwall this year) so for the purpose of the argument I''m a fan of the club that gets to as many games as possible like yourself and haven''t/won''t be able to attend the last 4 games like yourself...At the end of the day it''s great to get promoted back to the Championship, it''s a great acheivement (incidentally I''ve had a Leeds, Yeovil and Charlton fan congratulate me in Yeovil, all of whom were total strangers but saw me wearing the shirt in the pub) but a street parade? For me this should be when you''ve ''finally made it'' type scenario, and getting back to the Championship is not a pinnacle moment for me

[quote user="morty"]Don''t go then.Stay at home with a face like a slapped arse.[/quote]Lollers. :O) Love the term ''face like a slapped arse''.

God you lot miss the point!!, what part of "I am not against a civic reception" do you not understand?. When I am talking about "hangers on" I am talking about those people that have no interest in Norwich City FC whatsoever but will pitch up to the civic reception. As for the twonk who commented on the "merchandise" element, as far as I am concerned the unofficial merchandise sellers should be banned, official merchansise only, that way the club benefits, rather than lining the pockets of some wide boy selling cheap tat.  Perhaps the civic reception and open day could have been combined into a celebration weekend, thus allowing all fans, regardless of their location a chance to attend...

So teams like Notts county Newport county Stevenage and Lowestoft town should not bother to celebrate either then, COBBLERS, It matters not what league you play in, if you are champions at the end of it, Then have a party, I have been fortunate not to miss any home matches this season, Got to the Valley and Jumped 100ft in the air when Nelson scored, a lot of fans for what ever reason have not been able to share the the joy and excitment of promotion, So why not have the reception, are you saying that these fans don''t have the right to congratulate the team and all staff of Norwich city, If you don''t wish to join in then stay at home, not just Thursday but every bloody Saturday as well     

Ask Leeds fans if they think getting out of league one is something to be taken for granted and not worth celebrating.We win only the seventh trophy in our history, getting out of a tough league at the first attempt and after several years of unstoppable decline, and its not worth an hour celebrating in the street?Some of you need to spend the summer having a serious think about why you bother supporting Norwich City.

So the city as a whole should not be allowed to celebrate the achievment of its football team.Some of you people are utter idiots.[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]God you lot miss the point!!, what part of "I am not against a civic reception" do you not understand?. When I am talking about "hangers on" I am talking about those people that have no interest in Norwich City FC whatsoever but will pitch up to the civic reception. As for the twonk who commented on the "merchandise" element, as far as I am concerned the unofficial merchandise sellers should be banned, official merchansise only, that way the club benefits, rather than lining the pockets of some wide boy selling cheap tat.  Perhaps the civic reception and open day could have been combined into a celebration weekend, thus allowing all fans, regardless of their location a chance to attend...[/quote]