Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

'Far Too Large Pictures!'

I''m starting to get a bit cheesed off with some of the poster''s large pictures under their name.

Its messing up the pages somewhat, they dominate the page and distract from the poster''s otherwise great posts.

Can''t anything be done about this moderators, please?.

I''ve always thought there was a maximum size you could have.

I don''t think we can force a maximum size in this current release of the forum software.

So everyone, size matters! (especially to those not on broadband)

If you''ve got a biggun, please make it smaller - we like them about 80 pixels wide.

We''ll give you a hand if you need help... or if we have to force you.

Guilty as charged

Happy to reduce the size, if someone tells me how...  I thought that pictures were automatically resized, this obviously isn''t happening.

[quote]Guilty as charged Happy to reduce the size, if someone tells me how... I thought that pictures were automatically resized, this obviously isn''t happening.[/quote]

It''s been so long since I used the avatar upload, I forget how it resizes automatically (I think it''s a bit fussy about the check box). I''ll remind myself (and resize your picture) sometime this evening.

[quote]I don''t think we can force a maximum size in this current release of the forum software. So everyone, size matters! (especially to those not on broadband) If you''ve got a biggun, please make it smal...[/quote]

Can that be extended to signatures?  Mentioning no names of course!

Brun Uni Canary:

Gaps before signatures will make .001% of a difference to loading times of the pages... Worthy''s signature would probably include about 3 three lines of HTML coding, one line being made of <br> commands (which determine number of spaces) a few bytes(b) in size, so small, wouldnt make foggiest. Where as images depending on the resolution, can be upto or over 20kb (1kb=1000b)or more, thats were all the loading time is, especially if the images need to be loaded from another server (picture signatures).

It''s not size that counts here, it''s input!!!

So please no one get worried about big spaces, little to no effect!! I think it''s good to have a space, then it really doesn''t detract from your post Lets not start a witch hunt here...

Surely if you know the pics are too big and you don''t know how to resize them.....DON''T USE THEM.

besides, half of them don''t mean anything to anyone

Surely peter, you can email people whose pics are too big, then if they don''t sort it out you have the power to remove the pics for them. All Software has that option.

Yes, we can remove them but that involves us changing the user''s password so we can access their profile then telling them we''ve changed their password.

Far easier for us to email people with a smaller image and they can then change it themselves(which I''ve just done for Camberwick Green).

pete:

slightly off topic, but just wondering, cos I work from home (computer based work), hence I seem to post 24/7... you guys could do the same couldn''t you (work from home)?? Do you?? Sorry, Ive just always wondered, would make it so much easier for you all!! It''s ok if you cant answer that, just always wondered if you do!!

I guess we could do (Vince and I both moderate from home sometimes in the wee small hours) but it''s nicer for the web team to have a presence in the newsroom. Then there''s the cost...