Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Peter Mendham's Testimonial.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]It was against Real Sociedad in 1987[/quote]Ah thats what i meant! Cheers. Ive looked all over the net and cant find anything. But atleast i can put a yr to my first match now!

[quote user="SnakePit Lassy"]i think he is still in prison..[/quote]

yes

Disgraced footballer Peter Mendham is back behind bars after harassing the woman he almost killed in a frenzied knife attack.

The former Norwich City midfielder was released from Hollesley Bay prison, near Woodbridge, in August after being granted parole. He had served half of his five-year sentence for wounding with intent.

But yesterday it emerged that he has been recalled to prison after breaching the terms of his licence by attempting to contact his victim Charlotte Hyam within weeks of his release.

He had been banned from approaching Miss Hyam, who is still struggling to rebuild her life after the 49-year-old turned on her when she attempted to end their relationship.

Mendham could now be forced to see out the remainder of his sentence unless he can convince a fresh parole hearing that he is suitable for release.

The decision came to light as Miss Hyam appeared before Norwich magistrates on a drink-driving matter. Speaking publicly about her ordeal for the first time, she apologised for her behaviour but told how her life had been turned upside down by the attack.

The 42-year-old, from Wymondham, said: “I have been going through a particularly difficult time over the last two years as I recovered from an incident in 2006.

Charlotte Hyam, who appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court on a drink-driving charge. Her former boyfriend Peter Mendham, the ex-Norwich City player, jailed for stabbing her, has been recalled to prison for harassing her. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY
Charlotte Hyam, who appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court on a drink-driving charge. Her former boyfriend Peter Mendham, the ex-Norwich City player, jailed for stabbing her, has been recalled to prison for harassing her. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY
“My attacker had recently been granted parole but had to be recalled to prison for attempting to contact me.

“I have experienced severe depression although until now I resisted taking medication despite the recommendation of my doctor. I am now on anti-depressants.”

Norfolk-born Mendham, who played more than 260 games for the Canaries between 1976 and 1987, admitted the attack when he appeared before Norwich Crown Court in February 2006. He was originally sentenced to seven and a half years but this was reduced on appeal. A charge of attempted murder was dropped.

He had told Miss Hyam “we are both going to die tonight” after plunging a knife into her back in a case described as “one of the worst cases of domestic violence” Norfolk police have ever seen.

Mendham lashed out with a kitchen knife at his then home in Whitlingham Lane, Trowse, after Miss Hyam returned an engagement ring and said the relationship was no longer working.

Only an emergency operation saved her life and the court was told that “were it not for the extraordinary skill of surgeons” Mendham would have been charged with murder.

She suffered a severed artery in the attack and lost eight litres of blood through two wounds. Later she underwent an operation to remove a kidney.

Miss Hyam admitted driving while over the limit on September 6. She was banned from driving for 12 months, fined £485 and ordered to pay £85 in prosecution costs.

Chair of the bench Liz Scott said the court had no choice but to impose a disqualification but added: “It obviously required a great deal of courage on your part to talk to us today.”

Ken Brown once said..."if you cut him open he would bleed yellow and green".......wonder if he was trying to see if his girlfriend would aswell???

just want to say, i`ve know the family since i was 3 years old (im 30) and there are more details to this story then what was reported, it isnt as one sided as it seems

He was forced to retire because of injury in 1987. He was a member of the Norwich teams that won the English League Cup in 1985, and the Second Division championship in 1986. Following his premature retirement, the club awarded Mendham a testimonial match against Real Sociedad, and he continued to work for the club for several years as ''Football in the Community Officer''.

I dont doubt that Smeg, Mendham was part of an era of players who enjoyed a few with the fans in the local pubs....nice bloke, liked a drink, and always had a nice lady on his arm.....shame what happened but im sure we will never know the full story.

[quote user="SnakePit Lassy"]i think he is still in prison..[/quote]

I understand he is now living in Bury St Edmunds with conditions attached.

he taught me how to play football on a saturday up at eaton park, used to have loads of kids up there, absoloute great guy. Saw him a few times after i stopped going always remembered me and would speak to me. Remember thanking him for all he helped me with shortly after i was picked for the academy as i knew that he played a major factor in my development and taught me to love football. Was devasted to hear about his crime.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]It''s 16 years tomorrow since Mendham scored the extra-time winner for Diss Town in the FA Vase Final.What a day. Tangie Army![/quote]awesome day!

If Mendham for some reason had another game in his honour, it might be a good idea for us all to invest in some stab vests.