Sign in to follow this  
Noseybonk

Premier League. It's Next Season Or Never.

Not just Norwich, but any Championship club of a similar size has to look at next season as possibly their final chance of joining the gravy train league.

Thanks to the greedy self interest of Gartside etc, the increase of parachute payments is likely to mean the Premier league is a closed shop within two years.

It is only the precarious financial state of at least two of the three likely relegated clubs that gives us and others a glimmer of hope next season. After that, I''m afraid the Championship will become as boring as the Premier league with established Championship clubs unable to compete.

At a time when we are on the up, the thought of a glass ceiling is depressing and frustrating.

But then imagine if we somehow managed to scrape our way up next season? We''d be part of that closed shop, a stable Premier League team (or one bouncing up and down like a yo-yo).No, teams will still be able to compete, financial circumstances have more factors than just parachute payments. Although it''s the managers that seem to count for the most (Ipswich, QPR).

alot of people believed that the PL had ruined our game before this news. Know i agree with them none of the teams in the premier league bar the mega rich could survive without the sky money. The PL can shut its doors for all i care let it become a Gentlemans clubs for bored Arabs and idiotic yanks with more money than sense. Its not like most of the players are english anymore. The league would soon become stale and repetitive and fail miserably. And before anyone says ahh but you wouldnt mind if your were in the premier league? I would because the premier league will fail one day and the teams relying on it will go to the wall.

Money helps but it is no guarantee of success, and I will go on believing that well-run clubs can be high-achievers. We won''t ever win the Premier League without pots of money, but we can certainly get there and re-establish ourselves within a few years under Paul Lambert.

[quote user="scrimmage"]But then imagine if we somehow managed to scrape our way up next season? We''d be part of that closed shop, a stable Premier League team (or one bouncing up and down like a yo-yo).
[/quote]

I don''t really find the idea of being stuck in a league with the same 20 clubs year on year, not knowing if that league is about to implode or not very exciting. I''d rather re-establish the English football pyramid altogether and make the championship the new top tier frankly.

And its not possible to bounce up and down like a yoyo when the PL becomes a sealed division.

[quote user="paul moy"]Money helps but it is no guarantee of success, and I will go on believing that well-run clubs can be high-achievers. We won''t ever win the Premier League without pots of money, but we can certainly get there and re-establish ourselves within a few years under Paul Lambert.[/quote]

Here Here!

I wouldn''t say next season or never but like getting out of League 1, the sooner you do it the better and easier!

The move to increase parachute payments is disgraceful and will further unbalance the top clubs from the others!

Let''s face it - the parachute payments didn''t do US much good after we were relegated in 2005 did they? Obviously the money helps but there are many other factors in play. I think having a good manager with an eye for talent is just as important if not more so.

[quote user="paul moy"]Money helps but it is no guarantee of success, and I will go on believing that well-run clubs can be high-achievers. We won''t ever win the Premier League without pots of money, but we can certainly get there and re-establish ourselves within a few years under Paul Lambert.[/quote]

The op is right I beleive in this case. Why do you think Man City and Spurs can suddenly compete in the premiership money. To put it into context these clubs will have £20m per year player budgets, plus the money they get for their star players, without the worry of not making it back year 1. They will have the ability to buy any good championship player at will, at times to sit on the bench to stop others. There will be occassions when somebody breaks through but in the main the first 2 places will be filled with 2 of the 3 teams that came down.

To put into context the playoff final used to be described as £50m game, the figure now becomes nearer £88m. You probably pay a lot more for your sky subscription than you do your Norwich season ticket. A lot of this money in effect goes into premiership pockets, meaning that you are giving more money to these teams than you are your own club. Gold and Sullivan knew this was happening  hence why they wanted WHU with all their debts, rather than Norwich who at the time could have been playing next year in the same league.

[quote user="RonDavies"]Let''s face it - the parachute payments didn''t do US much good after we were relegated in 2005 did they? Obviously the money helps but there are many other factors in play. I think having a good manager with an eye for talent is just as important if not more so.
[/quote]

Under the new scheme they would have been more each season and only just run out. In fairness the first year we were down we managed to keep our players meaning we should have been in pole position to get back up.