Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

A civic reception smacks of "little old Norwich"

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Depends on which way you view it.On one hand, we could say, ''Balls we shouldn''t have been in this mess in the first place''.On the other, the majority of the players, management and CE who got us in the mess have long since buggered off.  And the new lot should be praised for sorting it out.[/quote]Most intelligent thing posted on here for a long while. 100% spot on considering a lot of the players who have won us promotion are inexperienced, Smith, Holt, C. Martin, Nelson, Forster etc, and they can now call themselves Championship footballers.

MP, Could you explain what WW2 has to do with us gaining promotion? I''d be a while trawling the history books otherwise.

I don''t see anyone moaning, who''s moaning?

I''m not saying it has, I''m just replying to your suggestion that we were completely faultless over the outbreak of WWII. Just cursorily speaking, our complete humiliation of Germany after WWI - for example, allocating tiny graveyards for thousands of bodies and crippling economic sanctions - had a hell of a lot to do with the cultural situation and insane financial disaster during the late 20s and 30s which allowed Hitler to come to power. And there are a lot of other factors to do with us and our history if you''re interested?      

And are you really being disingenuous enough to suggest that this thread wasn''t started as a moan about the possibility of a civic reception??!! Surely you''re not [:D]

Of course this achievement should be celebrated fully and joyously. Why the f*** not? Who cares if the twerps down the road - or anybody else for that matter - think winning the 3rd Division doesn''t merit a celebration.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.So lets acknowledge the teams achievement and  celebrate when the trophy is awarded to the team at Carrow Road but move on after that.For me holding a civic reception and open top bus parade just smacks of Delia''s "little old Norwich", an attitude that needs to be, like this season in League One assigned to the history books.[/quote]I look forward to your next thread in October about how we are showing a "lack of ambition" when we''re only 8th.

MP, Your understanding of world war affairs is very good but I don''t think anyone could suggest that we were the sole makers of our plight in that example. In this example we are and that is why the two are not the same. I have no idea what disingenuous means but I like it and may use it again if you would only tell me what it means please.[:)]

Does wanting something different from the probable mean you are moaning? Surely that''s what this board is all about isn''t it? People discussing the pros/cons of issues?

Obviously Hitler and the third reich is to blame for the second world war but had we not totally crippled Germany and humiliated them following the first world war somebody like Hitler would never have been able to get into a position of power within Germany.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Obviously Hitler and the third reich is to blame for the second world war but had we not totally crippled Germany and humiliated them following the first world war somebody like Hitler would never have been able to get into a position of power within Germany.[/quote]All Hitler wanted was someone to buy his pictures.  If anyone, I mean anyone had taken him to one side in the early 20s, and said "you''re a cracking painter Adolf", we could have avoided a whole lot of hurt.Van Gogh didn''t sell any either during his lifetime, but at least Van Gogh only cut his bloody ear off.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

MP, Your understanding of world war affairs is very good but I don''t think anyone could suggest that we were the sole makers of our plight in that example. In this example we are and that is why the two are not the same. I have no idea what disingenuous means but I like it and may use it again if you would only tell me what it means please.[:)]

Does wanting something different from the probable mean you are moaning? Surely that''s what this board is all about isn''t it? People discussing the pros/cons of issues?

[/quote]

Hahah - that made me chuckle YR [:D] Here you go -

Disingenuous; The opposite of ingenuous; lacking in candour or frankness, insincere, morally fraudulent. (Said of persons and their actions.)

And for what it''s worth I still think that Mr C''s analogy is a pretty good one [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Obviously Hitler and the third reich is to blame for the second world war but had we not totally crippled Germany and humiliated them following the first world war somebody like Hitler would never have been able to get into a position of power within Germany.
[/quote]

All Hitler wanted was someone to buy his pictures.  If anyone, I mean anyone had taken him to one side in the early 20s, and said "you''re a cracking painter Adolf", we could have avoided a whole lot of hurt.

Van Gogh didn''t sell any either during his lifetime, but at least Van Gogh only cut his bloody ear off.
[/quote]

[:D][:D]

We should definitely have an open top bus parade, you have to remember that half the players in this team were not responsible for our relegation last year, and they have all done a fantastic job, and the open top bus parade is great fun :)

spot on pablo i couldn''t have said it better...........we are Norwich ,the players are our heros.....so why shouldn''t we celebrate? after filling the ground home game after home  game after a disastrous start.........through the coldest winter on record and an amazing away support some clubs can only dream of..................lets celebrate in the sunshine.........a new begining!.............sod what anyone else thinks!

Absolutely unbelievable.  If your team achieves success, you celebrate it surely?  Little old norwich my arse, you are just a miserable sod.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.So lets acknowledge the teams achievement and  celebrate when the trophy is awarded to the team at Carrow Road but move on after that.For me holding a civic reception and open top bus parade just smacks of Delia''s "little old Norwich", an attitude that needs to be, like this season in League One assigned to the history books.[/quote]

[quote user="ref89"]Absolutely unbelievable.  If your team achieves success, you celebrate it surely?  Little old norwich my arse, you are just a miserable sod.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.

So lets acknowledge the teams achievement and  celebrate when the trophy is awarded to the team at Carrow Road but move on after that.

For me holding a civic reception and open top bus parade just smacks of Delia''s "little old Norwich", an attitude that needs to be, like this season in League One assigned to the history books.
[/quote][/quote]

Couldn''t agree more ........... and I''m sure my 8year old daughter will thank you for not allowing her to celebrate her teams achievements!

Perhaps a compromise could be reached where only those who joined the club since relegation can travel on the open top bus. Those who were there last season should follow behind on a regular single decker.

Only the fans who protested, boycotted or claimed their rebates should be allowed to attend. And of course the new fans who have been attracted to the club by winning football. However the 24,950 sheep who have just sat and suffered in silenece for the last few years should be forced to graze on the castle mound with their backs to proceedings.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Obviously Hitler and the third reich is to blame for the second world war but had we not totally crippled Germany and humiliated them following the first world war somebody like Hitler would never have been able to get into a position of power within Germany.[/quote]All Hitler wanted was someone to buy his pictures.  If anyone, I mean anyone had taken him to one side in the early 20s, and said "you''re a cracking painter Adolf", we could have avoided a whole lot of hurt.Van Gogh didn''t sell any either during his lifetime, but at least Van Gogh only cut his bloody ear off.[/quote]

[:D][:D]

[/quote]I''ll double your smilies & raise you one!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Perhaps a compromise could be reached where only those who joined the club since relegation can travel on the open top bus. Those who were there last season should follow behind on a regular single decker.

Only the fans who protested, boycotted or claimed their rebates should be allowed to attend. And of course the new fans who have been attracted to the club by winning football. However the 24,950 sheep who have just sat and suffered in silenece for the last few years should be forced to graze on the castle mound with their backs to proceedings.

[/quote]Lol.[:D]

Totally agree. Whilst this season has been fun, the fact is we should never have been in League 1 in the first place and yes, I do blame Delia and her cronies for it. A club with the stature of Norwich celebrating getting out of the old third division is rather embarrassing quite frankly, but no doubt the many muppets and happy clappers that infest our support will be clamouring for an appearance of ''HRH Delia'' on the balcony of City Hall to greet her adoring public (or should that be sheep?) Just give us the frigging trophy after Carlisle and move on.

Well I still think that this ''what''s the point of celebrating'' attitude makes us look pretty arrogant and is a bit of an insult to all the teams in this league - sorry [:)]

I''ll bet Leeds will be celebrating like maniacs if they manage to sneak second place. You reckon, Spainboy? [:D][:D]  

[quote user="morty"]I can see both points of view on this and am still undecided really.

Put into the context of how we have slumped since we got relegated from the Prem, this is a massive achievement. Will the rest of the country when they see Norwich fans turning out in their thousands to celebrate look at us in a patronising manner and say "Awwwww, bless them getting all excited about winning a tinpot league" Quite probably.

But that is the attitude of the rest of the country to our club, and also to Norfolk.

I bet the Leeds fans would swap with us like a shot, and I bet they''d celebrate like theres no tomorrow.
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings too.  It''s not the same as getting to the Premiership that''s for sure, but it''s still a notable achievement.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I can''t remember a civic reception or open top bus in 1975, 1981 or 1985 when we bounced back at the first attempt after relegation.  On that basis I''m not sure if it''s warranted this time either.

[quote user="IOW Canary"]Totally agree. Whilst this season has been fun, the fact is we should never have been in League 1 in the first place and yes, I do blame Delia and her cronies for it. A club with the stature of Norwich celebrating getting out of the old third division is rather embarrassing quite frankly, but no doubt the many muppets and happy clappers that infest our support will be clamouring for an appearance of ''HRH Delia'' on the balcony of City Hall to greet her adoring public (or should that be sheep?) Just give us the frigging trophy after Carlisle and move on.[/quote]

I bet you wouldn''t say that to Mickey Nelson, whose goal secured our promotion and who has never played above league 1 before.  For some of our players, this is the biggest achievement of their careers.  Why shouldn''t they enjoy the trophy that they earnt for us ?

I also bet that if we''d got to the final of the JPT, you''d have been there.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="morty"]I can see both points of view on this and am still undecided really.

Put into the context of how we have slumped since we got relegated from the Prem, this is a massive achievement. Will the rest of the country when they see Norwich fans turning out in their thousands to celebrate look at us in a patronising manner and say "Awwwww, bless them getting all excited about winning a tinpot league" Quite probably.

But that is the attitude of the rest of the country to our club, and also to Norfolk.

I bet the Leeds fans would swap with us like a shot, and I bet they''d celebrate like theres no tomorrow.
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings too.  It''s not the same as getting to the Premiership that''s for sure, but it''s still a notable achievement.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I can''t remember a civic reception or open top bus in 1975, 1981 or 1985 when we bounced back at the first attempt after relegation.  On that basis I''m not sure if it''s warranted this time either.

[/quote]

Meant to add:  A helluva party on the last day against Carlisle seems more appropriate to me.

[quote user="IOW Canary"]Totally agree. Whilst this season has been fun, the fact is we should never have been in League 1 in the first place and yes, I do blame Delia and her cronies for it. A club with the stature of Norwich celebrating getting out of the old third division is rather embarrassing quite frankly, but no doubt the many muppets and happy clappers that infest our support will be clamouring for an appearance of ''HRH Delia'' on the balcony of City Hall to greet her adoring public (or should that be sheep?) Just give us the frigging trophy after Carlisle and move on.[/quote]

Infest our support???

LOL...

What is it with folk who think some fans are superior to others. [:^)]

When did this infestation happen then? Is it like a plague? I think the largest infestations when there''s something to happy clap over. There was a large infestation in 1959. And then again in 1967 (I was part of that one). ''71/''72 saw another huge infestation as did ''85, ''92, ''02 & ''04. And now there''s another infestation happening and it''s great to see a new genaration of fans being excited by Canary success.

As my Grandad used to say..

"Go and eat coke"[:O]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="IOW Canary"]Totally agree. Whilst this season has been fun, the fact is we should never have been in League 1 in the first place and yes, I do blame Delia and her cronies for it. A club with the stature of Norwich celebrating getting out of the old third division is rather embarrassing quite frankly, but no doubt the many muppets and happy clappers that infest our support will be clamouring for an appearance of ''HRH Delia'' on the balcony of City Hall to greet her adoring public (or should that be sheep?) Just give us the frigging trophy after Carlisle and move on.[/quote]Infest our support???What is it with folk who think some fans are superior to others. [:^)]

When did this infestation happen then? Is it like a plague? I think the largest infestations when there''s something to happy clap over. There was a large infestation in 1959. And then again in 1967 (I was part of that one). ''71/''72 saw another huge infestation as did ''85, ''92, ''02 & ''04. And now there''s another infestation happening and it''s great to see a new genaration of fans being excited by Canary success.

As my Grandad used to say..

"Go and eat coke"[:O][/quote]So that''s what they meant when they said the club was "looking for infestors". [:S]

Thanks for your description of me and my family. I have supported this club for 47 years. My daughter has followed the club for 16 years and my son who is nearly 6 has hardly missed a game for 4 years. To cap it all my wife converted from a Villa season ticket holder to Norwich as it was far more enjoyable. We have had nothing to clap for 4 or 5 years and my lad was in tears last year at Charlton. Tell him he cant clap and cheer his heroes just as they do on the dvd he watches once a week. Maybe youd like to meet up on Saturday and explain to him that he is an infestation on the club.

I''m only coming if Nutty promises to serve me a pint afterwards. And I wont be on the castle mound because last time I slid down and fell off the wall at the bottom almost breaking my bum bones.[:D][:D]

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]I''m only coming if Nutty promises to serve me a pint afterwards. And I wont be on the castle mound because last time I slid down and fell off the wall at the bottom almost breaking my bum bones.[:D][:D]
[/quote]

You don''t need an open top bus to get a pint from me Inchy[Y][B]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

So that''s what they meant when they said the club was "looking for infestors". [:S][/quote]Touché![:D][:)][:D]