Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

A civic reception smacks of "little old Norwich"

Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.So lets acknowledge the teams achievement and  celebrate when the trophy is awarded to the team at Carrow Road but move on after that.For me holding a civic reception and open top bus parade just smacks of Delia''s "little old Norwich", an attitude that needs to be, like this season in League One assigned to the history books.

I think a civic reception would be good but no need for the open top bus.As McNally said, you have to celebrate success in football no matter what it is, because it doesn''t happen that often!

[quote user="Kent Canary"]I think a civic reception would be good but no need for the open top bus.

As McNally said, you have to celebrate success in football no matter what it is, because it doesn''t happen that often!
[/quote]

I don''t think there''s any need for an open top bus either.

Depends on which way you view it.On one hand, we could say, ''Balls we shouldn''t have been in this mess in the first place''.On the other, the majority of the players, management and CE who got us in the mess have long since buggered off.  And the new lot should be praised for sorting it out.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.[/quote]With that attitude, let''s forget VE Day.  Should never have been a second world war in the first place, so the fact it ended isn''t worth celebrating.

And why on earth did we celebrate winning the Championship? We never should have been relegated from the Premiership in the first place.

We deserved to be in this league and we''ve done well to gain promotion as champions at the first time of asking* and it''s an something to be proud of.

Open top bus would be a bit over the top but i don''t see why we shouldn''t celebrate one of the most entertaining season in years?

* on the basis we get that one point we need.

Anyone who knows about Norwich City FC will agree that had better boardroom decisions been made in the last 5 years then we''d of never been relegated!

But we also must realise that getting out of League1 at the first time of asking is a massive achievement and one that Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and QPR failed to do!

Another factor is how many times in our history have we won the Division we''ve been in?

1934, 1972, 1986 and 2004 - which amounts to not very many times in our professional League history!

Therefore I''d say that it would be perfectly justified to have a civic reception at the City Hall, but an open top bus ride maybe taking it to far!

"a civic reception and open top bus parade just smacks of Delia''s "little old Norwich"

And your comments smack of the ''oooh look at us'' attitude down the A140,

We were elegated because we finished in the bottom three. That is football. It is about TEAMS not CLUBS. Our team was not good enough.

It was however ''good enough'' to win this league by quite a margin. Good enough against recent ex Premier clubs such as Charlton, Leeds and Southampton.

If you want a sport that is determined by how ''big'' you are then good luck to you, but I have a sneaky feeling that most want football to stay open, and the trophies and league positions decided by merit not supposed size.

Finally, if the players were good enough to win the trophy then let them decide what they want to do. The arrogance and ignorance that underpin your thoughts are not worthy of a City fans.

In 40 years of supporting City through thick and thin there''s been plenty of thin and really not very much thick at all.  Winning the third division (assuming we do) might not sound much compared with beating Bayern Munich but, hey, let''s make the most of it.  We might not win anything else for a very long time and life is short!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.[/quote]With that attitude, let''s forget VE Day.  Should never have been a second world war in the first place, so the fact it ended isn''t worth celebrating. [/quote]I love that analogy Chopsy [Y]

AS someone else has already pointed out the majority of the team who won the league this time around wouldn''t of been here last year.

We''ve just been promoted yet someone has found something to moan about. It''s unbelievable isn''t it?

But when you think of it......

Poor management

Ridiculous loan signings

even worse tactics and management = Relegation, condemnation, and the sadest sight of all, flowers on our Carrow Road gate.

As opposed to, great management, great tactics, a set of ball grown by the board, confidence,, and the best thing of all =Promotion!

So lets stop being so chuffin'' British for once and celebrate what we have achieved.

If the Premier League gets what it wants and extend parachute payments to four years, then this is where the real football really is!

After watching the plastic shite that was Liverpool v West Ham tonight, and then having to explain to a bar of New Orleans Saints fans that this is not real football, with a an incredibly stupid ESPN American commentary, (sorry Houston, USA,), i know what id prefer!!! Open top bus

any day for me any day!!

Lets just hope the ash clears and i get home to see it!!

I 100% agree, a civic reception does indeed smack of "little old Norwich" and should be avoided.First the reception put on for losing in the play-offs,then Delia,s half time rant.No thanks,lets learn and move on.

Heaven forbid some people might want to recognise the effort of everyone involved this season and enjoy themselves...I do think some people take themselves and football far too seriously sometimes.

How would you feel if you were one of the players brought in this season who had achieved so much and yet you were being told "don''t enjoy it or have us recognise what you have done because of the failures of a bunch of loans who have buggered off and a muppet who should never have been manager"? [:^)]

This is only the third opportunity to celebrate anything Norwich have achieved in my 27 years on this planet... I say grab every opportunity you can to celebrate and certainly grab this one! winning any league is an achievement and I hope Norwich have a civic reception as well as the bus. Why not? - They totally deserve it. If you don''t want them to do it then stay at home! (i bet you wont and i bet you come along and enjoy it!)Also, it might make a few of the youngsters about town who are still deciding what team to support (Chelsea or Man united?) it might make them think... hey! I''m going to support Norwich, they''ve won something for a change!

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Kent Canary"]I think a civic reception would be good but no need for the open top bus.

As McNally said, you have to celebrate success in football no matter what it is, because it doesn''t happen that often!
[/quote]

I don''t think there''s any need for an open top bus either.

[/quote]

Sorry Angel but I disagree strongly.

Anything less, belittles our clubs magnificent achivement this season!

[quote user="The Chirp"]This is only the third opportunity to celebrate anything Norwich have achieved in my 27 years on this planet... I say grab every opportunity you can to celebrate and certainly grab this one!

winning any league is an achievement and I hope Norwich have a civic reception as well as the bus.

Why not? - They totally deserve it.

If you don''t want them to do it then stay at home! (i bet you wont and i bet you come along and enjoy it!)

Also, it might make a few of the youngsters about town who are still deciding what team to support (Chelsea or Man united?) it might make them think... hey! I''m going to support Norwich, they''ve won something for a change!
[/quote]

Spot on Chirp. I had no choice in the matter regarding Norwich but when I was about 6 or 7 the euphoria around the city when Norwich were finishing 3rd and beating Bayern meant that you really wanted to get involved. While obviously this isnt quite the same, it is still the idea of that winning mentality.

Also isn''t it a little disrespectful to the other teams in the league, all of whom would be delighted to swap places with us and hold their own open top bus parade?

I can see both points of view on this and am still undecided really.Put into the context of how we have slumped since we got relegated from the Prem, this is a massive achievement. Will the rest of the country when they see Norwich fans turning out in their thousands to celebrate look at us in a patronising manner and say "Awwwww, bless them getting all excited about winning a tinpot league" Quite probably.But that is the attitude of the rest of the country to our club, and also to Norfolk.I bet the Leeds fans would swap with us like a shot, and I bet they''d celebrate like theres no tomorrow.

[quote user="morty"]I can see both points of view on this and am still undecided really.Put into the context of how we have slumped since we got relegated from the Prem, this is a massive achievement. Will the rest of the country when they see Norwich fans turning out in their thousands to celebrate look at us in a patronising manner and say "Awwwww, bless them getting all excited about winning a tinpot league" Quite probably.But that is the attitude of the rest of the country to our club, and also to Norfolk.I bet the Leeds fans would swap with us like a shot, and I bet they''d celebrate like theres no tomorrow.[/quote]Their bus would break down well before it got to their Town Hall though.

If anyone needs to be shown how much we apprieciate what he did for us this season,its LAMBERT!!! Id have one just for that reason alone!

You have to celebrate success. The likes of Korey Smith and Chris Martin could go through a whole career without winning anything else. Admiral Nelson has been in the football league around ten years without winning anything. Im sure you see where Im going with this.We should never have been in league one, but we shouldnt take out our displeasure of the failings of our rubbish loan players and Roeder/Gunn, on the players we currently have who might never have this opportunity to celebrate again.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Personally I don''t want a civic reception. We have done well to gain promotion and win the league most probably, but we have just put right a wrong that should have never have happened in the first place.
[/quote]

With that attitude, let''s forget VE Day.  Should never have been a second world war in the first place, so the fact it ended isn''t worth celebrating.

[/quote]

Mr Chops, not the same thing at all. The second world war was not our fault. Relegation can only be our fault. The clubs fault and the players, who ever they may be are employed by the club. The attitude the Duke has is one pride as it hurts to be in leauge one. A league this football club should never be in. Don''t confuse the Dukes attitude with one of negativity, it''s not at all.

Back to the point though, it would be difficult for the group of players we have to see out some sort of dampened celebration, given that a number of them were not with the club when we entered this dark period but they knew the situation when they came to the club, they knew this club was better than that and that expectations were much higher so I think they should just take this one on the chin and look forward to trying to replicate this success in the league we should have never left. ''Well done lads a great effort. Now, where were we?''

Quite simply, not celebrating this smacks of supreme arrogance and would be a kick in the teeth for all the other clubs in this league that so many have been (quite rightly, imo) praising as ''real footy fans'' and ''football as it should be''. 

All of you moaning need to get over yourselves [:)]

And, Yellow Rages, totally irrelevant to this point I know but if you don''t think that WWII was anything to do with us you need to read some history books [:)] 

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]As MC mentioned the war... Won''t this hamper any City Hall celebrations? Could be a tight squeeze...[/quote]Wasn''t that all fenced off anyway for the last time?

Yeah, on further thought we should celebrate.It is not only a celebration of winning the league, but a celebration in an upturn in the grand Norwich City scheme of things, putting the gloom of the last few years behind us and looking forward to better days.