Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

100m Sprint.

which current city player would win a 100m sprint?

macnamee would be close but smith is very quick, and elliot and cody would be in the top 5 i would think?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]My money would be on Korey.[/quote]Same. Top 5(Not in order):CodyKoreyDaleyMacNameeMartin?

[quote user="Grant Holt Is Superman"]It would usually be the Doc for the first six yards...But Mcnamee, Elliot, McDonald for top three. Maybe Oli Johnson up in the mixer as he is deceivingly fast?[/quote]Wrong way round. 100m is longer than you think. Players like McNamee out-accelerate taller types, but stride length wins out after 50m or so.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Grant Holt Is Superman"]It would usually be the Doc for the first six yards...

But Mcnamee, Elliot, McDonald for top three. Maybe Oli Johnson up in the mixer as he is deceivingly fast?

[/quote]

Wrong way round. 100m is longer than you think. Players like McNamee out-accelerate taller types, but stride length wins out after 50m or so.

[/quote]

Yep.. The Doc would probably be slowest over the first few yards which is one of the reasons why he cuddles. But 100 metres is a long sprint for a footballer. I doubt any of the forwards would beat Doc over that distance.

For you older posters I remember when Duncan Forbes was said to be the quickest at the club over 100 yards.

They test this kind of thing in training don''t they? I''d love to know their respective times. Sure it must be possible to find out if we put Pete or Mike Bailey or someone on the case!

Although 60m would be more representative of their outright speed on the pitch since i don''t think anyone ever sprints 100m in a game! Except for the goalie when he''s come up for a corner and then has to leg it back to his own goal - a la crystal palace keeper several years back chasing after Darren Eadie!

That''s a good point about the goalies but interestingly they are probably some of the quickest over very short distances. They have intensive training for that.

they do test sprint times however never over 100m metres as their is no need for it in football. Think when ever do you run in a straight line for 100m virtually the whole pitch in a game of football. They do test speed over 40m and also have a course which involves a series of 10 15m metre sprints along with shorter ones and tight turns, its measured with laser thingys which was far to complicated for me to understand when i was about 12. This was when Dave carolan was at the club though so things may have changed and it may now be colchester sprint testing.

[quote user="City penguin"]they do test sprint times however never over 100m metres as their is no need for it in football. Think when ever do you run in a straight line for 100m virtually the whole pitch in a game of football. They do test speed over 40m and also have a course which involves a series of 10 15m metre sprints along with shorter ones and tight turns, its measured with laser thingys which was far to complicated for me to understand when i was about 12. This was when Dave carolan was at the club though so things may have changed and it may now be colchester sprint testing.[/quote]

I heard a rumour that he was coming back to Norwich anyone know anything?????

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

For you older posters I remember when Duncan Forbes was said to be the quickest at the club over 100 yards.

[/quote]But to look at him you would have doubted he would have been quickest even if he was in a car....not that anyone would have dared tell him [;)]

i havent heard anything, knew him from my time at the academy and also his wife was my school teacher at the same time how strange, was a great guy though.

[quote user="City penguin"]they do test sprint times however never over 100m metres as their is no need for it in football. Think when ever do you run in a straight line for 100m virtually the whole pitch in a game of football. They do test speed over 40m and also have a course which involves a series of 10 15m metre sprints along with shorter ones and tight turns, its measured with laser thingys which was far to complicated for me to understand when i was about 12. This was when Dave carolan was at the club though so things may have changed and it may now be colchester sprint testing.[/quote]What is colchester sprint testing? Running through a muddy bog?

lol - taking another back room person from Colchester is just the sort of tactic I would like to see during the summer!!!!

P''boro and Nutty - As a baby I was cradled by Big Dunc and he apparently was a bit of a big softie when it came to kids.  He insisted on picking me up when he bumped into Mum or Dad and I was with them.  I would like to think that my footballing style was somehow absorbed from Duncan by some form of talent osmosis.  I had an uncompromising reputation playing for the fans team......

He certainly was Muddy. I remember him being chuffed to hell when we told him my sons name was Duncan. I didn''t have the heart to tell him that but for the wife putting her foot down he would have been called Martin Peter[:D]

"Six foot two, eyes of blue, Duncan Forbes is after you, nananana nanana nana..." we used to sing. Yet he was only 5''11" really. He could have been 7'' for the headers he won but that little shove in the back used to help[;)]

I met him again and shook his hand at the Tranmere game earlier this season. In fact I met a lot of my heroes again that day. But heroes don''t come much bigger than Big Dunc!

I can''t believe he was only 5''11"!  All of the vids I''ve seen of him playing, he looked much taller.  How weird that I am coincidentally 6''2" and have blue eyes!