Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Will Southampton Pull It Off?

If it were taken as a given that Southampton will win their remaining four games they would reach 78 points. This would almost certainly mean mean Charlton, Swindon or Huddersfield would have to get to 79 points to avoid Southampton beating them out on goal difference. Huddersfield, obviously, are the most vulnerable given that they have the least points of the three. If this scenario played out then Huddersfield would need to obtain the five points they require either by securing two wins or a win and two ties. If they don''t get what they need in the next two games it means they will travel to Exeter for their final game needing something from the game. Not a prospect any team would like to face if Exeter needs the game to ensure survival....a distinct possibility.

It simply caused me to think about how other teams in the Championship will view the teams coming into the division next season both from above and below. If it were Hull, Burnley and Portsmouth coming down they certainly don''t appear to offer more glamour than the prospect of Norwich, Leeds and Southampton going up.

On balance, I agree with you but Southampton have their next two games at home ( as well their final game ) and they certainly will be expected to win them both. This means Huddersfield have to also win both of their next two games to avoid going to Exeter as I described. Not far fetched at all, is it?

True But saints do have a knack of dropping odd points when people least expect. I am glad the season did not have another 10 games or so to run as they have got a head of steam up

Dunno how many Hudders still have at home but we''re the only team to have beaen them there, Southmpton aren''t that secure anyway- I definatel write off games against teams like Exeter

Not really sure I know the answer Ron. The wife was a tyrant with me when we were younger but now, in our golden years, she has taken to treating me kindly. I''m too old to deal with change. [:D]

Very much doubt it but selfishly hope not. With the player budgets they will have would certainly expect them to finish in top 6 if in Championship. I would be taken aback if they do not win league 1 next year by a distance

If they don''t , wouldn''t mind RICKY LAMBERT coming!!! The namesake of our manager would be great signing!

If they do make it they would win the play offs - the side in form and all that.

However they are on 66 points - and can only get to 78 if they win all their games.   Getting 3 wins from 4 is a big ask for them (so inconsistent) so say they get 10 points that puts them on 76.  They do have winnable fixtures (3 home, Oldham, Carlisle and Southend, and Gillingham away) though so it is possible. 

Charlton Swindon and Millwall all have more than 77 points already so will be out of reach by next weekend..  

With Huddersfield on 74 already and Stockport and exeter to face away and colchester at home and with 5 wins from their last 8 I cant see them not picking up the 3 points they need to make the play offs.    

I think Soton have  a really good chance. they are scoring almost at will and that win at yeovil on sat was a good 3 points. I hope they don''t do it though, I''d prefer them down in Lge 1 to make life more difficult for Leeds should they fail to go up again! Also, maybe we could pick up Lambert if he doesn''t want more Lge 1 next year..........

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

If they do make it they would win the play offs - the side in form and all that.

[/quote]

They have 16 from their last six, Huddersfield have 13. Southampton have an easy run-in but I''m sure that Huddersfield have enough about them to stave them off.

[quote user="Babyface"]In all honesty we never beat them so rather they stayed down.[/quote]

true, and i think they would do better next season in the champ.

Hope not. I hate clubs who use administration as a tool to screw others, then the next week start signing million pound players.

[quote user="woody"]Hope not. I hate clubs who use administration as a tool to screw others, then the next week start signing million pound players.[/quote]Indeed, but in this case Southampton''s new owner paid off all their debts.

No I don''t think they''ll make it this season, not enough games left.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]True But saints do have a knack of dropping odd points when people least expect. I am glad the season did not have another 10 games or so to run as they have got a head of steam up[/quote]

You called it correctly Yorkshire. With that result Southampton almost certainly will now be excluded from the play-off picture.

Tonight was a must win game for them. They had been in good form and the unlikely was still possible. But they still only managed a gate of 18,366 to cheer them on.

10 points behind us at the start of the season they are now 22 points behind. And never got close did they Smudge[:^)][;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

leeds vs saints for league 1 title ext year [:O]

[/quote]

Im not sure that Saints will handle the pressure next season.  To a certain extent the pressure has been off this year, along with a sense of injustice.  Same thing happened to Leeds 2 or 3 years ago when they started on -15 and despite a good start finished in the playoffs

Saints have been inconsistent this year, and Im not sure that they will cope too well with being the favourites next time round.  When youre a biggish club (and Southampton have a long term Prem history - longer than ours - and a decent FA Cup record too) a lot of media attention gets focussed on you - and it makes things very wobbly.  The nation dont see us as a big club, so we didnt get much attention until we overtook Leeds - by which time we had a decent head of steam

And with regards to Saints, thats assuming they keep all their players - Im sure there will be several clubs sniffing round Lallana, Barnard, Puncheon and Lambert, not to mention Pardew - dont bet against an emotional return to West Ham, especially if they stay up.  All the compensation in the world means nothing when you lose a few characters like those

So Leeds v Saints for the title?  No, I dont think so - though dont bet against it being the playoff final.  I think the League 1 champions next year are more likely to be Notts County or Palace if they go down