That''s mental. David James hit the nail on the head recently when he said winning the FA cup did way more harm than good to the club. Redknapp''s departure and the luring of Pompey''s biggest players just left them further in the brown stuff. Having said that, I still expect them to be near the top of the table or thereabouts next season. The administrator seems to be doing all he can to make the club stable and by all accounts they''ve been budgeting for the Championship for some time now. Depending on who they can keep, some of their players will surely shine in the second tier.

Portsmouth will be a complete unkown I reckon next season, they could have a complete turn around in playing staff - I can''t believe that David James will play in the championship along with a few others.

I want them on the opening day of the season. Will be a complete new team and coaching staff and I can''t see them having many decent players next season. Lets get them early before they get a chance to settle in.

David James is going to say that isn''t he, their season hasn''t finished yet and he wants to play in the FA Cup final. There is no way he will stay and even if he wanted to I doubt Pompey could afford it.

They were saying on SSN that they owe two grand to the St Johns Ambulance, and around hundred quid to a scout troop!  Im sure they will appreciate 23p to the pound (Although heres hoping that common sense prevails, unlikely given who we are dealing with here)

I wouldn''t bet on them even being in existence next season. It''s got pretty close for a few clubs. Southampton went right to the wire last year. I hope it turns out ok for them but only for the fans. Proper fans who deserve better.

Worst thing of all, is that obviously Southend, King''s Lynn and Chester had problems with 2 of whom paying the ultimate price, whereas the authorities seem to be doing everything possible to stop Pompey following suit. Even though they have clearly been mismanaged to a far greater degree than those 3.

It annoyed me when people were saying "Pompey reaching the cup final is such a wonderful story". No, it isn''t. They don''t deserve to be because of the mess they have got themselves into. It''s not a wonderful story, it''s actually a rather sad one.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Superflash"]Redknapp''s departure
[/quote]
Redknapps arrival some might say. [;)] [;)]
[/quote]

Keep an eye on Spurs some might say [;)][;)][;)]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Worst thing of all, is that obviously Southend, King''s Lynn and Chester had problems with 2 of whom paying the ultimate price, whereas the authorities seem to be doing everything possible to stop Pompey following suit. Even though they have clearly been mismanaged to a far greater degree than those 3.[/quote]

There is an old business saying that goes "If you owe the bank £1000 you have a problem, if you owe the bank £10,000,000 the bank has a problem". I think it applies in this case, because a lot of powerful vested interests (not least of whom are the previous owners) would catch a huge cold if Pompey went under.

In addition to that the Premiership would get a lot of unwelcome attention/ adverse publicity and there is a very real danger of  a domino effect.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]It annoyed me when people were saying "Pompey reaching the cup final is such a wonderful story". No, it isn''t. They don''t deserve to be because of the mess they have got themselves into. It''s not a wonderful story, it''s actually a rather sad one.[/quote]It wasn''t the players that got them into the mess, the mess was created OFF the pitch. The players deserve to be in the cup final for the simple reason that in the FA Cup this season they''ve beaten all before them. How do they not deserve it exactly? It''s the least the fans deserve after seeing their club raped from the off-pitch drama.

[quote user="Superflash"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]It annoyed me when people were saying "Pompey reaching the cup final is such a wonderful story". No, it isn''t. They don''t deserve to be because of the mess they have got themselves into. It''s not a wonderful story, it''s actually a rather sad one.[/quote]

It wasn''t the players that got them into the mess, the mess was created OFF the pitch. The players deserve to be in the cup final for the simple reason that in the FA Cup this season they''ve beaten all before them. How do they not deserve it exactly? It''s the least the fans deserve after seeing their club raped from the off-pitch drama.
[/quote]

I totally agree that it''s not the players fault and that they wouldn''t deserve it. But they didn''t deserve the ten point deduction either. The penalties for administration are because the way the club is run puts better run clubs at a disadvantage. This disadvantage must surely apply in cup competitions too.

I believe the penalties for administration are way too lenient. Administration is never really fair on the players, and certainly never fair on the fans, but what is the alternative?

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]I''m sorry to say it, but Pompey need to be maken an example of to prevent other clubs from heading down the same route. What were they thinking![/quote]Agreed. I know it''s the fans who suffer etc but it''s just not fair on the rest of us.I''m sure if we spent 100+ million we don''t have, we''d be in Europa League at least and having expanded the stadium attacting 35,000 attendances every other week. The Premier League would probably then do all it can to protect us.Amazing too when you consider the amount of players they''ve sold.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Superflash"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]It annoyed me when people were saying "Pompey reaching the cup final is such a wonderful story". No, it isn''t. They don''t deserve to be because of the mess they have got themselves into. It''s not a wonderful story, it''s actually a rather sad one.[/quote]It wasn''t the players that got them into the mess, the mess was created OFF the pitch. The players deserve to be in the cup final for the simple reason that in the FA Cup this season they''ve beaten all before them. How do they not deserve it exactly? It''s the least the fans deserve after seeing their club raped from the off-pitch drama. [/quote]

I totally agree that it''s not the players fault and that they wouldn''t deserve it. But they didn''t deserve the ten point deduction either. The penalties for administration are because the way the club is run puts better run clubs at a disadvantage. This disadvantage must surely apply in cup competitions too.

I believe the penalties for administration are way too lenient. Administration is never really fair on the players, and certainly never fair on the fans, but what is the alternative? [/quote]

I agree it''s not fair on other clubs which by contrast are well run. Having said that, I don''t think it would improve matters by taking the team out of the cup. Also, with a cup competition it''s a knock out format, which is one of the key reasons why you can''t apply similar punishment to that of the league, where you can dock points.

Also, if you kick out Portsmouth out of the cup, do you do the same if the likes of other non-Premiership clubs with similar problems have a good run in the competition? Admittedly that''s not too likely to happen, but nevertheless people would be up in arms if this were to happen. 

Actually, in terms of putting other clubs at a disadvantage, how so? If anything Pompey have been put up against better players in virtually every cup game (yes, even Southampton), so it''s the oppositions own fault that they haven''t taken advantage of a weak team, ala Spurs.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Superflash"]Redknapp''s departure
[/quote]
Redknapps arrival some might say. [;)] [;)]
[/quote]

Strange isn''t it, how all the clubs that Harry''s had an involvement with have gone tits up financially -

Bournemouth

West Ham

Portsmouth

Southampton

He''s due in court shortly on tax charges.  Probably just a coincidence............

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Worst thing of all, is that obviously Southend, King''s Lynn and Chester had problems with 2 of whom paying the ultimate price, whereas the authorities seem to be doing everything possible to stop Pompey following suit. Even though they have clearly been mismanaged to a far greater degree than those 3.[/quote]

There is an old business saying that goes "If you owe the bank £1000 you have a problem, if you owe the bank £10,000,000 the bank has a problem". I think it applies in this case, because a lot of powerful vested interests (not least of whom are the previous owners) would catch a huge cold if Pompey went under.

In addition to that the Premiership would get a lot of unwelcome attention/ adverse publicity and there is a very real danger of  a domino effect.

[/quote]Very much like the recent Big Bank situation; they cannot allow anyone significant to go down, lest the whole gravy train is derailed. ''Twas ever thus.Which will make me even angrier if they try to "make an example" of NCFC come Monday. Pitchforks & burning torches time I reckon!BTW Beau: Wilko, Talking Heads, Mr. Costello - who''s next? I''m all agog - excellent tase!

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Very much like the recent Big Bank situation; they cannot allow anyone significant to go down, lest the whole gravy train is derailed. ''Twas ever thus.
Which will make me even angrier if they try to "make an example" of NCFC come Monday. Pitchforks & burning torches time I reckon!

BTW Beau: Wilko, Talking Heads, Mr. Costello - who''s next? I''m all agog - excellent tase!

[/quote]

You''ll just have to wait ron; maybe a little gem from my current avatar. By the way, who''s in yours? I''ve been meaning to ask for ages!

I should imagine the the biggest reason Pompey weren''t booted out of the cup would have been because it would have left only one semi final to be played. Thus a lot of revenue would have been lost to innocent clubs.

If you play an unregistered player in the league you get points deducted. If you play one in the cup you get booted out. What''s the difference?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

You''ll just have to wait ron; maybe a little gem from my current avatar. By the way, who''s in yours? I''ve been meaning to ask for ages!

[/quote]P J Harvey & Bjork, performing "Satisfaction" at some poxy awards ceremony (& totally subverting it). Two ladies who both delight & scare the crap out of me in equal measure. And who''s your latest pic of? You''ve got me stumped!(apologies to everybody else for being totally OT)

[quote user="Superflash"]That''s mental. David James hit the nail on the head recently when he said winning the FA cup did way more harm than good to the club. Redknapp''s departure and the luring of Pompey''s biggest players just left them further in the brown stuff.

[/quote]

Also, winning the FA Cup triggered ginormous bonuses for the players that the club never imagined they''d have to pay.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

P J Harvey & Bjork, performing "Satisfaction" at some poxy awards ceremony (& totally subverting it). Two ladies who both delight & scare the crap out of me in equal measure. And who''s your latest pic of? You''ve got me stumped!
(apologies to everybody else for being totally OT)

[/quote]

Yes, very scary  but very talented ladies. Mine is the great (and recently late) Alex Chilton, singer in the Boxtops , founder of Big Star and writer of some of the most beautiful melodies ever. Check out September Gurls or Thirteen to see what I mean.

[quote user="Duffman"]I want them on the opening day of the season. Will be a complete new team and coaching staff and I can''t see them having many decent players next season. Lets get them early before they get a chance to settle in. David James is going to say that isn''t he, their season hasn''t finished yet and he wants to play in the FA Cup final. There is no way he will stay and even if he wanted to I doubt Pompey could afford it.[/quote]

I think I remember something like this happening on the opening day of this season. But I can''t put my finger on it exactly....

redknapp offering john utaka 90,000 a week doesnt really help. Such a dodgy character is old HR, bet theres been a few underhand dealings gone on there