Sign in to follow this  
Talk Show Host

Former City players from 2000's and where they are now.

I''m unbelivavbly bored so I thought i''d find out where and what some of our former players are now.

Zema Abbey: Played for 8 teams after leaving us in 2004. Currently plays for Halesowen Town.

Cédric Anselin: Moved to Bolivian team Oriente Petrolero in 2002 but now plays for Lowestoft Town.

Trevor Benjamin: Played for 26 different teams during his career, and is currently on loan at Wroxham from Bedlington Terriers.

Jean-Yves de Blasiis: Moved to FC Istres in 2001 but tore his cruciate ligament again and retired. He is now a coach at Bordeaux.

Julien Brellier: The so called midfield dynamo is currently playing for Swiss second division club FC Sion.

Keith Briggs: Plays for Stalybridge Celtic after being released from Mansfield.

Mo Camara: The Guinean left-back currently plays for Torquay United. Says it all.

David Carney: Signed for FC Twente from Sheffield United for a reported £50,000.

Simon Charlton: Since April 2009 he has been manager of Mildenhall Town.

Jurgen Colin: Dropped from Sporting Gijon''s side after losing 7-0 to Real Madrid, Colin signed for RKC Waalwijk.

Kevin Cooper: Part of the Division One winning side in 2004, Cooper currently plays for Neath in Wales.

Adrian Coote: Currently plays for Carpathians FC in the Great Yarmouth and District Football League Division 2. He is also a sales advisor at Aviva.

Danny Crow: Is Cambridge''s top scorer this season, and was awarded the player of the season award last year.

Paul Dalglish: Son of the legendary Kenny Dalglish, Paul is currently head coach of FC Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Fernando Derveld: The left-back played for various lower league teams in Holland before retiring in 2008.

Robert Eagle: Released in 2009, Eagle signed for Inverness Caladonian Thistle.

Clint Easton: After being released by Hereford, he signed for Ebbsfleet United.

Marc Edworthy: Currently a free agent after playing for Burton Albion, and recently said he will retire at the end of the season.

Neil Emblen: Now a player-manager for Waitakere United in New Zealand after his old club, New Zealand Knights, ceased playing.

Adrian Forbes: Is still somehow a league footballer, battling it out at left-back-in-the-changing-room at Grimsby.

Mark Fotheringham: Now plays for Anorthosis Famagusta''s reserve side in Cyprus.

Damien Francis: After braking his leg playing for Watford in 2008, Francis retired.

Paul Gallacher: Plays for St Mirren in the SPL.

Kevin Harper: Currently a free agent, after being released from Dunfirmline in 2009.

Paul Heckingbottom: The defender is on loan at Gateshead from fellow BSP side Mansfield.

More to come...

[quote user="LotharMatthaus"]. Trevor Benjamin: Played for 26 different teams during his career, [/quote]

to quote Rodney Trotter "Bloody Hell Del boy!"

Mark Fotheringham: Now plays for Anorthosis Famagusta''s reserve side in Cyprus.Ahhhhh-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa........    Ha-ha-ha-ha..............

*Rolls on floor struggling for breath*[:D]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]Mark Fotheringham: Now plays for Anorthosis Famagusta''s reserve side in Cyprus.Ahhhhh-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa........    Ha-ha-ha-ha..............

*Rolls on floor struggling for breath*[:D][/quote]Fozzy''s only 26!!!! [:O][:O][:O][:|]

[quote user="LotharMatthaus"]I''m unbelivavbly bored so I thought i''d find out where and what some of our former players are now.

Zema Abbey: Played for 8 teams after leaving us in 2004. Currently plays for Halesowen Town.

Cédric Anselin: Moved to Bolivian team Oriente Petrolero in 2002 but now plays for Lowestoft Town.

Trevor Benjamin: Played for 26 different teams during his career, and is currently on loan at Wroxham from Bedlington Terriers.

Jean-Yves de Blasiis: Moved to FC Istres in 2001 but tore his cruciate ligament again and retired. He is now a coach at Bordeaux.

Julien Brellier: The so called midfield dynamo is currently playing for Swiss second division club FC Sion.

Keith Briggs: Plays for Stalybridge Celtic after being released from Mansfield.

Mo Camara: The Guinean left-back currently plays for Torquay United. Says it all.

David Carney: Signed for FC Twente from Sheffield United for a reported £50,000.

Simon Charlton: Since April 2009 he has been manager of Mildenhall Town.

Jurgen Colin: Dropped from Sporting Gijon''s side after losing 7-0 to Real Madrid, Colin signed for RKC Waalwijk.

Kevin Cooper: Part of the Division One winning side in 2004, Cooper currently plays for Neath in Wales.

Adrian Coote: Currently plays for Carpathians FC in the Great Yarmouth and District Football League Division 2. He is also a sales advisor at Aviva.

Danny Crow: Is Cambridge''s top scorer this season, and was awarded the player of the season award last year.

Paul Dalglish: Son of the legendary Kenny Dalglish, Paul is currently head coach of FC Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Fernando Derveld: The left-back played for various lower league teams in Holland before retiring in 2008.

Robert Eagle: Released in 2009, Eagle signed for Inverness Caladonian Thistle.

Clint Easton: After being released by Hereford, he signed for Ebbsfleet United.

Marc Edworthy: Currently a free agent after playing for Burton Albion, and recently said he will retire at the end of the season.

Neil Emblen: Now a player-manager for Waitakere United in New Zealand after his old club, New Zealand Knights, ceased playing.

Adrian Forbes: Is still somehow a league footballer, battling it out at left-back-in-the-changing-room at Grimsby.

Mark Fotheringham: Now plays for Anorthosis Famagusta''s reserve side in Cyprus.

Damien Francis: After braking his leg playing for Watford in 2008, Francis retired.

Paul Gallacher: Plays for St Mirren in the SPL.

Kevin Harper: Currently a free agent, after being released from Dunfirmline in 2009.

Paul Heckingbottom: The defender is on loan at Gateshead from fellow BSP side Mansfield.

More to come...[/quote]Doesn''t surprise a great deal, what he made up for in lack of talent, was hard work and was a ''trier''.  While there''s managers around like Worthington for example, who''ll give players a go if they break into a sweat, players like Forbesy will get contracts.That''s why IMO players like Danny Crow end up where they are, loads of potential but don''t put in the extra effort.

Good to see that arrogant prick fotheringham is aready rotting away in the reserves. Remember a few months ago he claimed he wanted to play in the champions league.

You can buy a used BMW from Daryl Sutch just down the road from me in Bury St. Edmunds if the mood so took you!

Laugh at the hapless Fozz all you like, I bet loafing around in Cyprus beats loafing around in Norfolk?

So out of that list, the only person who went onto ''greater things'' I suppose is Pau Gallacher. If you class the SPL as greater than League One.

Cedric Anselin has now retired from playing but has opened an academy in the area.

Not sure if Trevor Benjamin''s contract with wroxham has been cancelled, but he''ll never play for them again after his ridiculously woeful debut. They might as well have had a tortoise up front.

Adrian Coote is working for Aviva, and I''m pretty sure he also signed for the Norwich Busmen at the start of the season but still hasn''t turned up for 1 training session! Apparently, he''s a dead spit for Jon Parkin nowadays!

Ilf is right Zema does play for Arsley.

He also owns a fashion shop down the aptly named cheap side in Luton called twisted tongues.

Is that the same league as rothwell town ilf?

[quote user="Guy"]Cedric Anselin has now retired from playing but has opened an academy in the area. Not sure if Trevor Benjamin''s contract with wroxham has been cancelled, but he''ll never play for them again after his ridiculously woeful debut. They might as well have had a tortoise up front. Adrian Coote is working for Aviva, and I''m pretty sure he also signed for the Norwich Busmen at the start of the season but still hasn''t turned up for 1 training session! Apparently, he''s a dead spit for Jon Parkin nowadays![/quote]

I remember back in the day Trevor Benjamin was quite highly rated, particularly when he played for Cambridge. Him and Martin Butler were a pretty effective partnership. So you have to wonder how someone can go from being a really decent striker in the lower leagues to not even being able to get a game for Wroxham!

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]I remember back in the day Trevor Benjamin was quite highly rated, particularly when he played for Cambridge. Him and Martin Butler were a pretty effective partnership. So you have to wonder how someone can go from being a really decent striker in the lower leagues to not even being able to get a game for Wroxham! [/quote]Simple really, you just have to show managers that your early promise was just that, and that you peaked way too early and will just decline afterwards.Franny Jeffers did an awesome job at this going from a strike rate of a goal every 2.7 games in the Prem with Everton, which then dropped to an average of a goal every 8.7 games since leaving them - even when at clubs like Arsenal.In regards to Benjamin, he was cack at Leicester - clearly nowhere near good enough to play in the top flight (1 in 32 games says it all really), and only ever scored decently at L1 level or lower (apart for a vaguely decent season in the CCC with Leicester), so it''s no surprise to me that he''s struggling for games at non-league level now as he was hardly great beforehand...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]I remember back in the day Trevor Benjamin was quite highly rated, particularly when he played for Cambridge. Him and Martin Butler were a pretty effective partnership. So you have to wonder how someone can go from being a really decent striker in the lower leagues to not even being able to get a game for Wroxham! [/quote]
Simple really, you just have to show managers that your early promise was just that, and that you peaked way too early and will just decline afterwards.

Franny Jeffers did an awesome job at this going from a strike rate of a goal every 2.7 games in the Prem with Everton, which then dropped to an average of a goal every 8.7 games since leaving them - even when at clubs like Arsenal.

In regards to Benjamin, he was cack at Leicester - clearly nowhere near good enough to play in the top flight (1 in 32 games says it all really), and only ever scored decently at L1 level or lower (apart for a vaguely decent season in the CCC with Leicester), so it''s no surprise to me that he''s struggling for games at non-league level now as he was hardly great beforehand...
[/quote]

There is definitely something in that Indy. But I noticed that he was sold to Leicester off the back of a season where in 44 league games he bagged 20 league goals. He also played well in some Worthington Cup games too scoring goals against Premier opposition. So you can''t be complete garbage if you do that over a whole season and he had scored goals before that. I think part of the problem is you go to a club in the top flight. You don''t play, get stuck playing uncompetitive reserve football then eventually get sent out on loan to a host of clubs without really having time to settle. I guess it becomes a downward spiral from there. I think it is perhaps a lesson to players that a move to the big leagues isn''t necessarily the best thing for their careers.

Here''s the next lot...

Elvis Hammond: The former City loanee was released by Cheltenham in January this year. Currently a free agent.

Thomas Helveg: The 1994 Denmark player of the year still plays for Odense Boldklub at the age of 38.

Jason Jarret: Played for 14 clubs in 10 years, however is now a free agent having been released from Port Vale last year.

Jonatan Johansson: Has just signed for TPS in Finland from St Johnstone. He is a regualr in the Finnish national team at 34.

Mattias Jonson: Is a regular starter for Djurgardens in Sweden. Retired from international football in 2007.

Darren Kenton: After an unsuccessful trial with Toronto FC, King Kenton joined American side Rochester Rhinos.

Marc Libbra: Retired in 2006 after being released from Livingston.

Chris Llewellyn: Plays alongside Kevin Cooper at Neath in Wales.

Matthieu Louis-Jean: Still without a club after being released by Norwich in 2007, Matthieu refuses to retire.

Arturo Lupoli: The former Italy U-21 striker now plays for Ascoli in Serie B.

Brian McGovern: The former Arsenal youth defender retired in 2007 after playing for Bray Wanderers in Ireland.

Lee Marshall: Retired after suffering a 2nd broken leg in 2005 whilst playing for Hull.

Mike Milligan; Retired in 2002 after playing just 20 games for Blackpool in three years.

Phil Mulryne: Now without a club, his most recent contract was at Kings Lynn.

Steen Nedergaard: After persuading Thomas Helveg to join Norwich in 2004, Steen became manager of Hvidore FC, however was sacked in a year later.

David Nielsen: Where do I start? After signing for Aalborg in 2003, Nielsen racked up a debt of over £150,000 with bookmakers. In order to get rid of the debt, Nielsen fixed the Aab - Copenhagen match in 2004 and was fined £100,000. In 2005, he assaulted teammate Allan Gaarde and was sacked by Aalborg. Now plays for FC Brann.

Alex Notman: After damaging his ankle ligaments against the scum in 2002, Notman retired. Is now a player-coach at Wroxham.

Paul Peschisolido: The Canadian striker now plays for St Pats Athletic in Northen Ireland.

Interesting stuff but this...

[quote user="LotharMatthaus"]Paul Peschisolido: The Canadian striker now plays for St Pats Athletic in Northen Ireland.[/quote]

...is definitely incorrect - he has been manager of Burton Albion since last summer.

[quote user="norwichyellow"]Read in  local paper that Phil Mulryne is a priest in his native Northen Ireland.[/quote]FFS don''t mention Priests in the other forum

Find out all you want on ex players here

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/

Great site. Be warned - before you know it you''ll find that you''ve spent hours on it!

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]There is definitely something in that Indy. But I noticed that he was sold to Leicester off the back of a season where in 44 league games he bagged 20 league goals. He also played well in some Worthington Cup games too scoring goals against Premier opposition. So you can''t be complete garbage if you do that over a whole season and he had scored goals before that. I think part of the problem is you go to a club in the top flight. You don''t play, get stuck playing uncompetitive reserve football then eventually get sent out on loan to a host of clubs without really having time to settle. I guess it becomes a downward spiral from there. I think it is perhaps a lesson to players that a move to the big leagues isn''t necessarily the best thing for their careers. [/quote]He scored 20 goals in the equivalent of League 1 and Leicester took a big risk on him being able to replicate this in the top flight which he clearly was nowhere near good enough to manage.That would be like a team such as Wolves signing Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes and asking them to perform in the top flight to the same level or better - who thinks they''re currently good enough...?Being fair here as well, he was given plenty of games at Leicester after signing with decent minutes as well, and was so poor that his opportunities got more restricted as time went on.A move to the top flight is always going to be tough, but the best players can make this step up, players like Benjamin simply weren''t good enough and shouldn''t have really been there, but you can''t blame them for that.