Sign in to follow this  
Who killed the Croutons

Stadium design?

Dont know if anyone knows this but is it possible to put a cantalever tier onto an existing conventional stand e.g. what is being talked about with the Geoffrey Watling stand...if so where is there a similar example?

Also does anyone have any up to date piccies of the infill devt.?   

Finally I agree with the correspondent that wrote to the pink un to suggest the the other end be used for seats with a hotel BEHIND - this surely that would achieve both objectives increase capacity without a completely new tier on either side for now and have a hotel, then move away fans to N&P Lower - thoughts.....

I though when I saw the design for the South (ooops sorry "Jarrolds") stand that it can be extended by removing the roof building up and behind then putting the roof ontop.  I assume that is the only way you could do it because if you built directly ontop you wouldn''t see the pitch.  Doubt you could do it to the City Stand because as far as i know we dont own the land like we do behind South Stand

yes i agree with the hotel situation - the best part of the ground is there, between the away fans and the barclay,imagine it being divided by a hotel. it would be take a lot away from the atmosphere. for the sake of a few rooms overlooking the ground why can''t we have another 2,000 seats there

i would have thought that the income from the hotel is quite small anyway

To expand the city stand the 2nd tier will have be built behind it. not on top. Imagine the city stand as it is. with a steep 2nd tier sitting behind it. It would have to be steep and raised up. Like the higher ties at St James with an underlap (walkway) to allow viewing. This is because the current stand was never built with the intention of expansion. However this is possible.

My thoughts entirely Archie and do you agree that it would then be best to move away fans to N&P lower or segregate either side? What do lower N&P residents think? I guess moving away fans there would change the dynamics a bit but I think it would be better longer term and give us an option for extra expansion on a more phased basis as the tier on Geoffrey Watling is quote "years away"!!  

Bimingham Canary - thanks I think Peter could advise on how to get the photos on but Im sure there was a thread a few days ago which had a reply as to how to upload photos worth maybe scrolling a few pages! 

There wouldn''t really be any point in putting a corner in between the Jarrold and Barclay Stands because a good portion of it would be used for segregation anyway and then only a few seats could be taken. It would seem a waste of time and money have something there which is usually just going to see mostly netting around it. For the proposed hotel the club will sell the land off for free to an hotel company and who''ll build an hotel. If the hotel were an success then the club would receive income from the hotel for which the club and prospective hotel company would agree a % of profits when negotiating the scheme but if it wasn''t succesfull then the club wouldn''t gain anything but wouldn''t lose anything because it hadn''t invested or put any money into the scheme. It''s a no lose situation for the club.

Archie - stick an infill there, and the club would have to take on another 50 or so safety/security staff on matchdays, so the away fans are separated from both the Barclay and Jarrold fans. This is probably the last thing the club needs.

I think it could be possible to put another tier on the Geoffrey Watling Stand (forget the City stand now!) without having to dig up Carrow Road, but build over it.

Take your point James but I was suggesting that away fans be moved which would then mean no wastage if another infill is built and no need for segregation anywhere! But you might have a few peed off River Enders having to move so I was gauging opinion...and a hotel could still be build as well

i am not sure about the segregation point. would it not be possible to make the infill separate from the south stand and the barclay stand. presumably the infill could be 2,500, enough to take all away supporters, and would thus free up space in the south stand. i''m not too sure but i think the club would be better off with more seats

a hotel may be a ''no-lose'' situation in the sense that the club cant lose any money, but i feel we would could profit considerably from building an infill - the club financially, the team by having more fans, and the fans by having a greater chance of getting a seat. why does the hotel HAVE to overlook the pitch?

There was something in the EDP or EEN last week about extendsing the ground. The plan was still to put a hotel in the gap between the south and barclay stands. And if we established ourselves in the premiership, the plan is to build an extra cantilever tier on top of the city stand. That''s why they built the new south stand further back and moved the pitch away from the city stand - so that any new tier could get a view of the pitch.When they say cantilever, I guess they mean taking the roof off of the current city stand, suspend the new tier partly over the top of it and put the cantilever piles down into carrow road itself.

OK.. You will find that the City Stand was built with the possibility of an additional to be added ontop. Not so sure of the design, but I have been advised that the foundations have been built with this all in mind.

Also for those that have been lucky enough to go into the rooms behind the stand on match days for the customary prawn sandwich or Delia''s posh match pie, you will have noticed that you have more than enough room to swing 10 cats. The reason for this is that the rooms were designed to take more people when they built the additional tier.

So folks this is possible, if it is cost effective, I have no idea!