Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Iwan's Return?.

Now, before you all start thinking that the old wiz has ''lost it'', please read on....I was reading in today''s EDP, that Iwan Roberts, who was quoted in that interview saying, that he would ''jump'' at the chance of returning to City.

And why the hell not?, is my reply.

OK, initially, I was for Worthy letting him go to the Gills, but after careful thinking, I''m not so sure now that was a good move.

Is he any slower than Docherty? - No. Can he score - all 96 goals weren''t lucky!.

Can he hack the premiership?. - He''s always kept himself super fit, and could certainly do a subs job, for the last 20 minutes or so, especial when the oppo defenders are starting to get a little bit jaded.

Could we get him?. - Yes, easily, he''d walk here from kent!. Gillingham are in a mess. He still keeps in touch with the team and manager, still lives here, and is well loved by all.

Plus, old Doomcaster has hinted that there is no money for a big signing in January.

I believe he could still do a job for us this season, and a more permanent role must be found for his talent after that.

Mind you, Worthy would then have to admit that he was wrong to let him go in the first place, and I''m not sure he''s capable of that!.

I would love this transfer to happen......am I mad?.

[quote]Now, before you all start thinking that the old wiz has ''lost it'', please read on....I was reading in today''s EDP, that Iwan Roberts, who was quoted in that interview saying, that he would ''jump'' at t...[/quote]

How on earth did I rate my own topic???. 

(Wizard now stands in corner, with his hands on his head!)

Somethings not right on here today wizard! Everytime i try to rate a topic it says i have already rated it, even the new ones like this one. In case you''re wondering i tried to rate it a 1:Terrible...............only joking, i gave it a 4.

Yes Wiz you are most definitely mad! I am positive Iwan will return to Norwich but not as a player.  You have your yellow and green glasses on by thinking he could cut it in the Prem.  It wouldn''t work.  Sorry mate

Afternoon Wiz... sir,

that certainly doesn''t look to good!! perhaps I could help you out there....................

I gave you a one, should bring it down a bit..... although in my head its a 3.97

Not sure if he should come back though!!! Not that he''s not good enough, but you know how it is when players get dropped and then make a come back, often it doesn''t work out too good, but you never know!!!

i think it''s safe 2 say iwan wont be returning - even if he wanted to. u all no wot worthington''s like, he won''t allow it.

''He''s gettin'' on a bit, know what i mean''

--HOLT OUT--

[quote]Yes Wiz you are most definitely mad! I am positive Iwan will return to Norwich but not as a player. You have your yellow and green glasses on by thinking he could cut it in the Prem. It wouldn''t w...[/quote]

DD: can we agree to disagree on this?. I ain''t got my yellow and green specs on, honestly.

I''m only talking 6 months here, and as a sub. Who, at the club, up front that is, is any better than the big man?, and please don''t say, Leon or Svenny.

Iwan know''s where the back of net is, unlike some, I could mention. 

I think IWAN could do a job for us i mean we are hardly winning the golden boot award are we and just off the subject ref: peter sutton, is there any need to slag our players off in your signature, fans loved holty last year he may not have the talent for the prem but he still gives his all.

No Wiz, even with your spell binding powers you could not make Iwan cut it in the Prem but I''ll tell you something -  I would have him back any day to replace one of our reserve team coaches!!  I think it will happen eventually anyway.

OTBC

Interesting thought, Wiz.

Would Iwan win more balls in the air than Matty during the last 20 mins of a match?

Would Iwan be more of a physicall threat than Matty during the last 20 mins of a match?

Would Iwan be more likely to score than Matty during the last 20 mins of a match?

Mmmm...not such a stupid thought really, Wiz

Great post Wiz cos I am one of his biggest fans and was always of the opinion that he could not cut the premiership full time but was certainly worth keeping to come on when things not going too well.  People could hammer this by saying why pay his wages to be sub.  Well then why pay Safri, Helveg etc when all they are doing is sitting on the subs bench and sometimes not even making that.  The big man is Norwich through and through and although this is not enough to guarantee some sort of contract at least you knew he would give 100% in fighting for the cause.

My only concern is that I think Worthy would not backtrack on his decision to let him go as it would be too much of a loss of face on his part.  On the other hand Worthy always bleats on how he only does things that would benefit Norwich City.  I am sure Iwan would come to some sort of agreement with regards wages.  Certianly worth considering in some sort of capacity if the search for a new striker in January does not go too well.  

[quote]No Wiz, even with your spell binding powers you could not make Iwan cut it in the Prem but I''ll tell you something - I would have him back any day to replace one of our reserve team coaches!! I thin...[/quote]

knowhatimean: Although we don''t agree on the main subject of this thread, its nice that we do both agree with him coming back as coach, ''in a flash'', post haste, etc.

If there''s one guy who can teach the youngsters, and ''oldies'' come to that, about scoring, its the big man himself.

Go on Nigel, pick up the phone, you know it makes sense.

For goodness sake Iwan Roberts will enter his 38th year next June, how many Premiership out field players are there of that age ?

For the last three seasons, in the Nationwide, he has only averaged nine goals a season ( including penalties ) and todate he has scored three goals for Gillingham.

I think we should bring back Ron Davies who at sixty two years of age could still beat Roberts over a twenty yard sprint.

I heard Robert Fleck may be available on a free in January and Keith O''Neil has just come out of retirement in Ireland....what do ya reckon?

Wiz - just leave it Ok - no more please - I thought we had agreed on the chris sutton post that it nevers works a second time and since then we have had no more Mike Walker post - never come back and all that - the same applies here!

What next - bring back Kevin Keelan - super keeper but just as ludicrous!

OTBC 

Zipper, it''s hardly the same thing is it?  Iwan is still fit and playing.  I always thought Worthy was too quick to let him go and assume he couldn''t cut it in the prem, but would he be prepared to swallow his pride and ask him back?  Probably not.

Its not quite the same thing but not far off it. Iwan was a bit player for us last season and looked average against some distinctly poor defenders. He was definitely our 4th choice striker behind sven, leon and Hux. His performances were a class below those three week in week out and those three have not had half the impact in the prem that they had in div 1. Since he has been with Gillingham he has continued to look a striker past his sell by date and has had no impact for them in an easier league, including when coming on for the last 20 minutes. If he cant have an impact there why should he in the prem?The reference to keelan was that, like Iwan, he is a club legend whos playing time has gone.OTBC

Bring him back i say he could not do any worse than what we have and he would die for the cause

What we have at the moment could not hit a cows arse with a banjo

IWAN IWAN IWAN?

Fair point Zipper.  I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. Still would have been nice to have seen him in the prem as reward for his efforts over the years. 

Zipper - you are pretty disparaging towards Iwan''s contribution last year

I would have thought that on goals scored last season, per minutes played, that Iwan would come out very favourably over Matty in particular.

After we have got him back let''s get Malky back as well to give us some height and steel at the back