Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Nicky Butt

is leaving Newcastle on a free after the last game, played a season in a promoted side and could do a job for another year at least in the championship.if his wages weren''t too much would he worth a pop?

Doherty may not be happy with Nicky coming in and taking his share of the carrots from the canteen!I was thinking earlier he''d be worth a pop. But only if his wages are fair.. Which I doubt!

[quote]he''s on £40''000 a year!! the is no way he will take the sort of pay drop needed for us to get him[/quote]and you are his accountant and know this for fact do you?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote]he''s on £40''000 a year!! the is no way he will take the sort of pay drop needed for us to get him[/quote]and you are his accountant and know this for fact do you?[/quote]It''s certainly not going to be far off considering they signed him from Manchester United in his prime.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote]he''s on £40''000 a year!! the is no way he will take the sort of pay drop needed for us to get him[/quote]and you are his accountant and know this for fact do you?[/quote]It''s certainly not going to be far off considering they signed him from Manchester United in his prime.[/quote]I suspect its a bloody long way off £40''000 a year!!!!

you really think manchester united players such as butt where on the same kinda wages as cureton and doherty!!! i doubt fergy wanted to lose a squad player so it must have been big wages to get him to join..  no i''m not his accountant i don''t know exacly what he earns but use your brain we can''t afford his wages!

he''s on £40''000 a year!! the is no way he will take the sort of pay drop needed for us to get him[

just under 2k a game that is [;)] sign him up!

Signing players who have already achieved everything they could hope to in their footballing career is a big risk. I know it''s worked to an extent with players like Deon, but I''d personally prefer to sign players with a bit more to play for than those who have been there, done that. We have players with championship experience (Doc, Drury, Russell). I''d rather the rest of the team was made up of players with a point to prove and hungry to play at Championship level.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote]he''s on £40''000 a year!! the is no way he will take the sort of pay drop needed for us to get him[/quote]and you are his accountant and know this for fact do you?[/quote]Lol you mean 40k a week?

No thanks, I''d rather not have a 35 year old looking for a last pay day playing for us next season.

[quote user="Harry"]No thanks, I''d rather not have a 35 year old looking for a last pay day playing for us next season.[/quote]Exactly and that''s not the type of player that Lambert would sign.

An older head, ex-international can sometimes do a job at a newly promoted club. He helps bridge the gap in class.

There may be a few around at the moment, but I would not fancy Butt in such a role.

Ryan Giggs, now that''s a different matter. Oh well! Dream on.

I have posted before about some of the classy "twilight" players that we have had play for us in the past. Players such as Chivers, Peters, Royle , Osgood, Channon and O''Neill. Maybe Huckerby just came into this category as well..

It rarely happens anywhere now.  Sol Campbell''s unsuccesful Notts. Co.  move springs to mind as the last example of this, whilst Dean Windass did wonders for Hull under different circumstances.  Robbie Savage now plays his days out at a lower level, whilst poor old John Hartson wasn''t up to it.  It is probably something to do with a wages  thing, as well as the squad sytem meaning that these players have a longer shelf-life at the higher level.

Heskey would be handy,  O'' Neill doesn''t seem to fancy him much nowadays. Are there any more possibles who fancy being put out to pasture in sleepy Norfolk?  Please don''t say David Beckham, although I get the impression that he will be very reluctant to hang his boots up, even if it means he has to play for Col. Who.

I think he''s actually retireing and moving into coaching as opposed to moving clubs. He could be useful in a player/coach role I think, but then we''ve already got an excellent coaching staff and he wouldn''t get into our team, so it would be esseintially pointless bringing him in.

Wasn''t this part of the problem the last time we were in the championship? We had signed players like Sibierski who were just over the hill.