Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

The team of last year V this year

Goalkeepers: Marshall V FF Defenders:Bertrand V DruryOtsemobor V R.MartinDoherty V Doherty of this year Shackell V Super NelsonMidfield:Croft       V SmithRussell      V Russell of this year  Clingan        V LappinHoolahan V Hoolahan of this yearStrikers: Lita                V MartinSibierski         V Holty

When you compare the teams it is easy to see why we struggled. We didnt have a settled team by any means and the amount of loan players was disgraceful.The only players that I''d have back of last year are: Clingan and Lita. How Croft got player of the season still shocks me to this day....

Not sure you can put 11 players because very few actually featured week in week out.                               

T Adeyemi
T Archibald-Henville
D Bell
R Bertrand
D Carney
L Chadwick
S Clingan
C Cort
L Croft
J Cureton
L Daley
G Doherty
A Drury
M Fotheringham
A Gow
J Grounds
W Hoolahan
J Kennedy
C Killen
Koroma
S Lappin
D Lathrope
A Lee
A Leijer
L Lita
A Lupoli
D Marshall
C McDonald
D Mooney
S Nelson
E Omozusi
J Otsemobor
M Pattison
D Russell
J Shackell
A Sibierski
K Smith
D Stefanovic
0 (0)
0 (0)
12 (7)
37 (1)
4 (5)
0 (0)
40 (0)
7 (5)
34 (7)
10 (12)
0 (3)
32 (2)
10 (1)
20 (7)
8 (5)
14 (2)
27 (5)
15 (1)
0 (4)
2 (3)
4 (1)
0 (0)
6 (1)
1 (3)
16 (0)
7 (10)
46 (0)
1 (6)
8 (1)
0 (0)
20 (1)
35 (2)
18 (6)
31 (7)
15 (0)
13 (2)
1 (1)
12 (0)

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure you can put 11 players because very few actually featured week in week out.                               

T Adeyemi
T Archibald-Henville
D Bell
R Bertrand
D Carney
L Chadwick
S Clingan
C Cort
L Croft
J Cureton
L Daley
G Doherty
A Drury
M Fotheringham
A Gow
J Grounds
W Hoolahan
J Kennedy
C Killen
Koroma
S Lappin
D Lathrope
A Lee
A Leijer
L Lita
A Lupoli
D Marshall
C McDonald
D Mooney
S Nelson
E Omozusi
J Otsemobor
M Pattison
D Russell
J Shackell
A Sibierski
K Smith
D Stefanovic
0 (0)
0 (0)
12 (7)
37 (1)
4 (5)
0 (0)
40 (0)
7 (5)
34 (7)
10 (12)
0 (3)
32 (2)
10 (1)
20 (7)
8 (5)
14 (2)
27 (5)
15 (1)
0 (4)
2 (3)
4 (1)
0 (0)
6 (1)
1 (3)
16 (0)
7 (10)
46 (0)
1 (6)
8 (1)
0 (0)
20 (1)
35 (2)
18 (6)
31 (7)
15 (0)
13 (2)
1 (1)
12 (0)
[/quote]This is kind of what i meant tbh. All of these players who played a handful of games hardly helped our cause.

Not really sure what you are trying to indicate with this nonsense.

This years Doc, Russell and Wes all playing in a league they should be more

than comfortable in.

Make no mistake this league is poor, very poor, those player need to step up to

the plate and be counted next term at a higher level.

Lappin will fail next season because he isn''t strong enough fast enough or good

enough. Many other will be sorely tested. Russell Martin, big question marks as

to his championship credentials.

Strike force will also find it a whole new ball game. Centre halves much faster

and stronger than this league.

The only thing this squad has achieved is to get us back to at least where we

should be. Now the real work starts.

You can do no more than win the league you’re in and we’ve

done that in style. I however don’t think that this team is anywhere near to

pushing for promotion in the Championship. In fact as it is I think we’d

struggle.

Bit of a downer I know after yesterday’s great day but my

opinion for what it’s worth.

We now need to back the Manager and give him the resources

to bring in new player able to cope with the higher level. Who knows might well

be a great summer of signing for us.

Can''t believe Lappin only started 4 games last year, I suppose Roeder was still around then though.

Lappin is a much better player than people give him credit for. He gave us good balance when he came on yesterday. Should also be remembered that a strong performance away at Brimingham last year where we drew 1-1 was when he started in central midfield. He can do a job in the championship I reckon. But I would readily admit if you want to break the top half you probably need to look elsewhere.

It''s an interesting opinion HH44 and one that I can understand. But I''m not sure this is a very poor league. I''m not sure that teams from the bottom half of the championship would do what we have done in this league this season. The only place I read that this is in anyway a poor league is on this message board. Football managers and commentators seem to be under the impression that this seasons League One is quite strong. I guess it will be interesting to see how the clubs relegated from the championship fare next season.

As for comparing last years team with this years. I''m wondering which of our midfield players Clingan would replace? I certainly wouldn''t want to see him back in place of Russell or Korey Smith.

I think its very hard to compare last years players for the simple reason, they didn''t play in a set team really , there was far too much changing, but this season, the changes normally only occur because of suspensions/injuries....So i would keep our starting XI over any of last years players, simply because they have all perfromed together for a longer time than any induvidual managed last season......(although i wouldn''t mind having Lita, Clingan, Bertrand on the bench.....)

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Not really sure what you are trying to indicate with this nonsense.

This years Doc, Russell and Wes all playing in a league they should be more than comfortable in.

Make no mistake this league is poor, very poor, those player need to step up to the plate and be counted next term at a higher level.

Lappin will fail next season because he isn''t strong enough fast enough or good enough. Many other will be sorely tested. Russell Martin, big question marks as to his championship credentials.

Strike force will also find it a whole new ball game. Centre halves much faster and stronger than this league.

The only thing this squad has achieved is to get us back to at least where we should be. Now the real work starts.

You can do no more than win the league you’re in and we’ve done that in style. I however don’t think that this team is anywhere near to pushing for promotion in the Championship. In fact as it is I think we’d struggle.

Bit of a downer I know after yesterday’s great day but my opinion for what it’s worth.

We now need to back the Manager and give him the resources to bring in new player able to cope with the higher level. Who knows might well be a great summer of signing for us.

[/quote]

Interesting points but the bookmakers arent usually far off and they have us as second favourites to win the league behind Burnley. We are probably not as bad as you may think.

Looking at that list it is obvious why we went down, not enough goals, no team can survive with so few.very few players I would like to see back again, Lita and Clingan.

They have us as second favourites already? Ludicrous. I suppose that does not include those teams still involved in the play-offs, and Hull who aren''t officially relegated yet. Still...a lot of work to be done over the summer.

Out of last years team, I''d think Clingan, Lita, Bertrand and Marshall would be in the mix. What the heck has happened to our reigning player of the season?!

[quote user="Largey"]They have us as second favourites already? Ludicrous. I suppose that does not include those teams still involved in the play-offs, and Hull who aren''t officially relegated yet. Still...a lot of work to be done over the summer. Out of last years team, I''d think Clingan, Lita, Bertrand and Marshall would be in the mix. What the heck has happened to our reigning player of the season?![/quote]

Bit of both it does include some betting at present goes 8/1 Burnley 10/1 Norwich 12/1 Reading QPR and Hull 14/1 Ipswich 16/1 Portsmouth and Bristol City. ( you can get 12/1 Norwich on skybet ).

In fairness you would think they were just riding on our wave to get some cash in but that wouldnt explain why those quoted after us are bigger prices.

[quote user="Largey"]They have us as second favourites already? Ludicrous. I suppose that does not include those teams still involved in the play-offs, and Hull who aren''t officially relegated yet. Still...a lot of work to be done over the summer.

Out of last years team, I''d think Clingan, Lita, Bertrand and Marshall would be in the mix. What the heck has happened to our reigning player of the season?![/quote]Hell to the no!! We can do MUCH better with what we''ve got, let alone another loan/signing!

[quote user="Largey"]They have us as second favourites already? Ludicrous. I suppose that does not include those teams still involved in the play-offs, and Hull who aren''t officially relegated yet. Still...a lot of work to be done over the summer.

Out of last years team, I''d think Clingan, Lita, Bertrand and Marshall would be in the mix. What the heck has happened to our reigning player of the season?![/quote]Hell to the no!! We can do MUCH better with what we''ve got, let alone another loan/signing!

Last seasons squad managed by Lambert would not have gotten relegated.  Of the players that are no longer at the club the only ones I would want are some of the loanees - but none are in the position I want to strengthen the most - the central midfield.

R Betrand, D Bell, D Mooney, Lita and Lupoli would all significantly improve our squad - the rest of them are much of a muchness and so I could give or take them,  esp croft and clingan.

With you on Bell, Lita and Bertrand Zipper, but Mooney and Lupoli?  Lupoli is back in Italy in obscurity in Serie B and Mooney has been doing nothing for Charlton this season (think it is 4 goals).

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]With you on Bell, Lita and Bertrand Zipper, but Mooney and Lupoli?  Lupoli is back in Italy in obscurity in Serie B and Mooney has been doing nothing for Charlton this season (think it is 4 goals).
[/quote]

Lupoli I thought played well for us and got a decent strike rate despite playing irregularly under roeder and having shocking service.  He had good movement and strong link up play.

Mooney I agree is more of a gamble as he seems to have stagnated rather than progresseed this year - but he and gow offered us a good partnership,  goals and points when they started for us up front (stopped by Gunn as it was flourishing) and I think there is a natural goal scorer in him;   he is the riskiest of them for me.

Gow I excluded simply because he seems a bit too nomadic

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]I''d take back Lupoli, Lita, Clingan, Mooney, Lee & Gow.
[/quote]
And Kennedy
[/quote]

For me both Kennedy and Clingan were over-rated and performed poorly and so I dont want to see either of them again.

The only player from that list that I would be desperate for this year is Clingan.

I think adding Clingan to likes of Forster, the Doc, Hoolahan and Holt and we would have finished this season with over 100 points.