Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Sounds like Doc will get a new contract

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/football/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=SportNorwich&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED22%20Apr%202010%2010%3A39%3A33%3A877Today''s EDP does not contain the words or sentiments of somebody who''s going to be shown the door.  I think Lambert''s indicated that Doherty is very much part of his plans for the Championship next season.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Must be a good day to bury bad news...

[/quote]

I''ll bite Chopsy. Doc has been tremendous this season (since getting back )and thoroughly deserves a new contract. His experience is  more important than his (perceived) lack of pace. I also think that Nelson might have a longer shelf life than most people on here seem to think. I admit that I slated him early one, but he''s been terrific in the run in.

Without getting into a long, drawn out argument here, I do have to say that it would have been a total disgrace if Doc HADN''T performed this season.FFS, we''re in League 1 and he''s meant to be a lower Prem/CCC player, so he should walk all over strikers at this level.Frankly I think he''s shown his true level this season, and despite some good performances the same old errors are still there (such as endless bear hugging) and we would have been punished much more for these errors at a higher level than we have been this season.Full credit to the guy for his level of commitment and some good games this season, but he''s never convinced me at a higher level and this season''s performances haven''t changed that opinion.Unless we''re offering a contract on a much reduced level just to give us some cover for injurires/suspension, then I can''t see the justification...

What have you been watching Indy? Doc has cut out the Bear Hugging and has started playing the ball out of defence instead of hoofing it since Lambert arrived at Carrow Road.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Without getting into a long, drawn out argument here, I do have to say that it would have been a total disgrace if Doc HADN''T performed this season.FFS, we''re in League 1 and he''s meant to be a lower Prem/CCC player, so he should walk all over strikers at this level.Frankly I think he''s shown his true level this season, and despite some good performances the same old errors are still there (such as endless bear hugging) and we would have been punished much more for these errors at a higher level than we have been this season.Full credit to the guy for his level of commitment and some good games this season, but he''s never convinced me at a higher level and this season''s performances haven''t changed that opinion.Unless we''re offering a contract on a much reduced level just to give us some cover for injurires/suspension, then I can''t see the justification...[/quote]But dont you also think Theo should still be here?

[quote user="Harry"]What have you been watching Indy? Doc has cut out the Bear Hugging and has started playing the ball out of defence instead of hoofing it since Lambert arrived at Carrow Road.[/quote]Clearly I''ve somehow seen different games than you have...Even just watching the highligts on TFLS when I can''t get to games has highlighted his ongoing deficiencies, and whilst I won''t deny he''s been far better this season than he has for the last 3-4 years, there''s usually a mistake or two in every game that he makes, but more often than not it''s either been covered by Nelson/Forster, he''s managed to recover from it and make a last ditch tackle, or the opposition haven''t been able to take full advantage of it. However there have also been a number of games where mistakes from Doc have cost us goals, which some fans conviently try to blame on anyone else.He''s not a top class defender, he did look outclassed in the CCC, and he''s had his poor moments this season despite the lower level. He''s clearly one of the better defenders in the league, but again - it''s League 1...

[quote user="king canary"]But dont you also think Theo should still be here?[/quote]I thought Theo should have been given a fair chance, which he didn''t really get.There may well have been mitigating circumstances, but he was dropped on the back of 1 poor TEAM performance, and never given the 1st team opportunity to make up for it.When that happened to Lappin, a number of fans disagreed and have arguably been proven right since his recall, Theo never got this chance.Water under the bridge now however...

[quote user="king canary"]But dont you also think Theo should still be here?[/quote]Which pretty much shows that - in the nicest possible way of course - Indy doesn''t really know what he''s talking about.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Which pretty much shows that - in the nicest possible way of course - Indy doesn''t really know what he''s talking about.[/quote]No, it clearly shows I have a different opinion than yourself and other posters on here.There is no right or wrong with this - merely opinion.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]He''s been outstanding all season. Most consistent player by a country mile.
[/quote]

Now I like Doc but this is way over the top!

Indy does make some good points. To those disputing him, if you actually look at what he''s saying he is still giving Doherty credit for having a much better season. Here''s what I reckon. I''m of the opinion that''s he''s done well and he DOES deserve a new contract. Going back to what Indy said, he does still make mistakes, but then again, Grant Holt will often miss a good chance to score. But no one will talk about because either the game is already won or because Holt has become some kind of god like figure in these parts (and rightfully so). Doherty is an easy target because of his past mistakes and the fact that he''s been with the club now since we were last in the Prem. But, we still need to bolster the defence next season. Doherty and Nelson as our main centre halves simply won''t cut it in the Championship. The defending in our last Championship season was one of the primary reasons we began to slide uncontrollably down the table. If there''s anywhere we''ll seriously need to strengthen then it''s that position.

[quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]He''s been outstanding all season. Most consistent player by a country mile.[/quote]

[/quote]Who has been more consistent?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="king canary"]But dont you also think Theo should still be here?[/quote]
Which pretty much shows that - in the nicest possible way of course - Indy doesn''t really know what he''s talking about.
[/quote]

Correct.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]He''s been outstanding all season. Most consistent player by a country mile.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who has been more consistent?
[/quote]

I would say Forster, Drury, Russell, Smith, Hoolahan, Martin, and Holt, and possibly even Lappin have been as consistent (if not more), which is why I believe the "by a country mile" statement is way over the top. In fact I think it''s absolutely ridiculous. And I''m one of those always defending the unfair criticisms of him.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say Forster, Drury, Russell, Smith, Hoolahan, Martin, and Holt, and possibly even Lappin have been as consistent (if not more), which is why I believe the "by a country mile" statement is way over the top. In fact I think it''s absolutely ridiculous. And I''m one of those always defending the unfair criticisms of him.

[/quote]

Out of that lot I would say Forster and Drury have maintained their own high standards on a more consistent basis than the others. Along with the Doc.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Out of that lot I would say Forster and Drury have maintained their own high standards on a more consistent basis than the others. Along with the Doc.

[/quote]

maybe. but not by a country mile or any other mile

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, perhaps not a country mile. But across the season he probably is just edging it.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, perhaps not a country mile. But across the season he probably is just edging it.

[/quote]

You''re kinda proving my point

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="The gut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re kinda proving my point

[/quote]

Never disagreed with it, to be fair.

[quote user="GJP"]

Never disagreed with it, to be fair.

[/quote]

True, I''m not suggesting you did, merely responding to clarify how what I think about AC''s statement

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="king canary"]But dont you also think Theo should still be here?[/quote]
I thought Theo should have been given a fair chance, which he didn''t really get.

There may well have been mitigating circumstances, but he was dropped on the back of 1 poor TEAM performance, and never given the 1st team opportunity to make up for it.

When that happened to Lappin, a number of fans disagreed and have arguably been proven right since his recall, Theo never got this chance.

Water under the bridge now however...
[/quote]

He was only dropped to the reserves where he made two or three appearances- however he was just as poor in these games, i even heard that he rugby tackled one of Watford''s reserve strikers....

[quote user="freddyf105"]He was only dropped to the reserves where he made two or three appearances- however he was just as poor in these games, i even heard that he rugby tackled one of Watford''s reserve strikers....[/quote]I''m not going to regurgitate the entire thread, but out the reserve games he played compared to the games when Rudd played, he actually conceded less goals. This doesn''t guarantee he''s a better keeper, but it''s unusual for someone who''s meant to be so bad (as many fans thought) to perform better than a highly promising keeper that most fans actually rate.Anyway, this is O/T to a certain extent anyway as the thread is meant to be about Doc''s potential new contract, not my opinion on Theo and his opportunities (or lack of them)...

Not to pi$$ on anyones parade...but we have been poor defensively in the championship for many years now....who has always been part of the Center back partnership?(DOC)

Dont get me wrong he has been superb this season but i think he has finally found his level....we need a commanding Center back with pace alomg with a few other additions

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]we have been poor defensively in the championship for many years now....who has always been part of the Center back partnership?(DOC)

[/quote]And to back this up with some stats from Doc''s record:04/05 – Prem – 2.1 GCPG – 2 CS –

Worst defence in the league

05/06 – CCC – 1.5 GCPG – 9 CS –

Joint 2nd worst defence in top half, only 5 teams worse

overall

06/07 – CCC – 1.6 GCPG – 8 CS –

Fifth worst defence in the league

07/08 – CCC – 1.1 GCPG – 10 CS –

Ninth worst defence in league despite Doc''s best season in 4 years

08/09 – CCC – 1.6 GCPG – 7 CS –

Third worst defence in league – Relegated

09/10 – L1 – 1.1 GCPG – 14 CS –

Third best defence in league

We can clearly seen that defensively we''ve been awful for years, all of which Doc played a significant part of, and it''s only this season at a lower level that we''ve been far better in this area.You can try to pin the blame on everyone BUT Doherty, but as far as I''m concerned, a large point of the responsibility has to fall on his shoulders, because it''s nonsensical to blame the rest of the team every single time. Maybe we should have been stronger in midfield to help the defence, maybe some of the other defenders didn''t play well, but let''s not be silly and look to absolve Doherty from all blame, especially when many posters have seen the bad errors he''s made, have seen the Gorillaesque defending and aimless hoofing, and have seen him left for dead by even very average strikers.He HAS done far better this season, WE have done far better this season, but if he/we can''t perform at this level you have to question what''s going on.The simple fact is that he''s an Average to Poor centre half, who can look good on his day, but a total disaster off it, and if that''s what you want to entrust our CCC survival - or chance of ever going back to the prem on - good luck to you, because I bloody don''t...

At the start of the season I was firmly in the Doc Out camp, but to be fair he has been a key part of our solid defence this season (albeit against the lowest standard strikers he has yet had to face). I am willing to admit I got it wrong on Doc, and I see him as a good addition to our squad for next season especially of he is alongside someone with a bit of pace.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]And to back this up with some stats from Doc''s record:04/05 – Prem – 2.1 GCPG – 2 CS –

Worst defence in the league

05/06 – CCC – 1.5 GCPG – 9 CS –

Joint 2nd worst defence in top half, only 5 teams worse

overall <<< DOC IS NCFC SUPPORTERS PLAYER OF THE SEASON

06/07 – CCC – 1.6 GCPG – 8 CS –

Fifth worst defence in the league

07/08 – CCC – 1.1 GCPG – 10 CS –

Ninth worst defence in league despite Doc''s best season in 4 years  <<< SOUNDS LIKE OPINION, NOT FACT!

08/09 – CCC – 1.6 GCPG – 7 CS –

Third worst defence in league – Relegated <<< DOC IS 3rd IN NCFC SUPPORTERS PLAYER OF THE SEASON

09/10 – L1 – 1.1 GCPG – 14 CS –

Third best defence in league

We can clearly seen that defensively we''ve been awful for years, all of which Doc played a significant part of, and it''s only this season at a lower level that we''ve been far better in this area.[/quote]Excuse the caps above, I wanted to ensure my points were not lost and am not "shouting".It''s very unfair to pin this all on Doc.  Our gaping black hole of a centre midfield, and our full backs, were equally culpable for our defensive frailties.  Interestingly Adam Drury was also part of the above set of stats. What should we do with him?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s very unfair to pin this all on Doc.  Our gaping black hole of a centre midfield, and our full backs, were equally culpable for our defensive frailties.  Interestingly Adam Drury was also part of the above set of stats. What should we do with him?[/quote]I''m not pinning it all on Doherty, but he''s been far more responsible for bad errors which cost goals than Drury ever has, nor is he anywhere near the defender Drury is.Even if you thought our central midfield wasn''t great (and it really wasn''t), they still provided more cover to the centre halves than Drury EVER got from Hucks.Also, Drury was game limited in our 08/09 game reason through injury, yet still managed a better GCPG than Doc, and had 3 clean sheets in 11 games compared to Doc''s 7 in 34, he also had Hoolahan infront of him again providing no defensive cover just like Hucks...Drury is simply a better defender who has often been let down by a total lack of support either by the midfield or centre halves, and it''s hard to perform when teams are often putting 2 men against 1 defender as often used to happen to him.