Sign in to follow this  
ncfc90

Without Hoolahan

Our team going forward is absolutely clueless im afraid. It showed again against Gillinham when time and time again our defence and midfield just hoofed it aimlessly up towards Holt. For pretty much the whole much we looked very limited, and a neutral would not have known which team was top and which team was bottom. I think without him it just shows how poor our midfield are, and how they are lacking in creativity, pace and goals. Im afraid next season Hughes, Russell, Mcnamee and Lappin will all be nowhere near good enough for the championship, and i''m not sure whether Smith will be ready. I think Lambert will have to buy/loan alot of players in the summer if we are to survive next season. Forster in on loan would be nice, and 2 Centre backs, as only Whitbread i think would be capable of performing in a higher division. I think Drury and Spillane might just cope, but we have no good cover for these two, as R. Martin and Rose wouldn''t cut the mustard. In midfield, only Wes and maybe Korey would be good enough, so i think a new RM and LM would be the minimum. Upfront Holt i think might do ok, but wont score nearly as many goals as he has done this season, 15 max, and Martin although a top class finisher, i''m still unsure about him in the championship, as i think his lack of pace maybe a problem, so 1 new striker would be the minimum aswell. Sorry for such a negative post, it''s just saturday really did show how much we would struggle against better opposition.

I agree that our levels of creativity drop alarmingly when Hoolahans not about and that our midfield will need strengthening but some of your other points are way over the top!

I''m sick of ignorants claiming that well be alright when our best CB Whitbread is put in the team!

If he was that good he''d be in the team now!

I think the guys potentially good but Im concerned that hes taking a long time to get back from injury and with no reserve League games next season tha could be a worry!

The Doc and Nelson on current form would do a job in the Championship although I think Nelson will struggle against pace players.

But yes essentially I think we need to replace 4-5 of the fringe players with Championship quality players to do well!

But with a decent manager at the helm who has already proved he can get the best out of average players, then I think we can surprise the doom mongers!

Look at what Leicester have done this season and they were where we are now this time last season!

Smith, Russell and Lappin will do a good job next season, Darren Fletcher isn''t necessarily the most talented and creative player at Man Utd but he''s probably first on the team sheet because of his other attributes, the same applies to those 3 but they need creative players like Hoolahan in there with them, just as Hoolahan needs those 3 in the side for him to get the freedom he needs to influence games.

And are you going to loan the club about £15m to sign all these players ( fees and wages ). The only player you reckon we have got is Forster who aint ours and if we are able to sign him again on loan will probably cost us twice as much as this year and spending a big part of our budget on one player. How do we know how good or bad these players are at a higher level?. When have you watched Whitbread or are you just going on hear say ?

Strange thing is as I have put on previous threads we are second favourites at present behind Burnley to win the championship next year. Personally I dont think we are as good as the bookmakers suggest but at the same time I am not expecting us to struggle next year maybe mid table.

Right, lets get some things clear.  Smith will make it up a level, even if he is only 19.  As will Drury, he has proved this hasn''t he in previous seasons?  I don''t know why you are doubting these two.  Holt will struggle, he gets his goals from pure determination and work ethic, this is not good enough in the Championship, you need natural ability too, which is why Chris Martin will score more than him.  We need two new centre backs.  Doc and Nelson are going to get torn apart by any half decent striker or pace, I''m sure Askou will be good enough, as for Whitbread, can''t judge him yet.  You fail to mention Cody Mcdonald.  I think he has a bright future and could score goals at a Championship level, I really want him to show what he is made of.  1 keeper, a left back (for cover), two centre backs, 2 wingers (left and right), a central midfielder (preferably creative) and 2 new strikers is what the doctor orders IMO but, I doubt we will get all that.

Anyway, don''t worry, we have Lambert, possibly the best manager in the Championship.

Also, we have just been crowned champions, enjoy it whilst it lasts. 

Haha the OP questioning Drury''s ability- how depressing! Like someone else said I''m really getting tired of the pro Whitbread, ant- nelson and Doc comments... LETS WAIT AND SEE!!! they deserve a chance don''t they??

"Right, lets get some things clear.  Smith will make it up a level, even if he is only 19.  As will Drury, he has proved this hasn''t he in previous seasons?  I don''t know why you are doubting these two.  Holt will struggle, he gets his goals from pure determination and work ethic, this is not good enough in the Championship, you need natural ability too, which is why Chris Martin will score more than him.  We need two new centre backs.  Doc and Nelson are going to get torn apart by any half decent striker or pace, I''m sure Askou will be good enough, as for Whitbread, can''t judge him yet.  You fail to mention Cody Mcdonald.  I think he has a bright future and could score goals at a Championship level, I really want him to show what he is made of.  1 keeper, a left back (for cover), two centre backs, 2 wingers (left and right), a central midfielder (preferably creative) and 2 new strikers is what the doctor orders IMO but, I doubt we will get all that."

Completely agree with you on Whitbread and Mcdonald [Y] I''d agree with you in the need for a left back and a centra midfielder, but I only think we need and can afford one more centre back, one more striker and one more winger (thee''s a few options availale on frees) ontop of that I think we need a new Right Back-Martin couldn''t cut it for Peterborough- infact he was dropped from a very poor squad, who''s to say he''ll do anyy better with us?

Did Chris Martin not score some vital goals and secure us Championship football for another year under Peter Grant or did I imagine that season??

The lads done a job in the Championship before, he''s now had 2 seasons of regular football to help him grow as a player since then.

He''s a player I have no worries about for next season.

"only Whitbread i think would be capable of performing in a higher division"

Hello??? Based on what evidence exactly? When he has played he hasn''t exactly set the pitch on fire whereas the Ginger Pele has a lot of experience of the Championship. Him and Nelson have improved enormously under Lambert and co - and scored some vital goals.

And we have two keepers - Rudd and Steer.