Sign in to follow this  
TheNewBoy

I wouldn't be suprised if McVeigh got another year....

And before you call me a fool, let me explain my reasoning. I am convinced that Lambert will choose a flat 4-4-2 next year, playing with two wide men.

He doesn''t like Hoolohan on the left, although I suspect that he will be given a chance there. McNamee can do a job on the right, but I bet is still far more effective on the left.

We have two left wingers, and no right wingers. Do you think that Lambert will sign two right wingers? I don''t..... I think that he will sign one. McVeigh has made the bench a fair bit this season, Lambert clearly likes him as an individual, the kids like him.... in fact he always liked the kids (sounds dodgy) and went on holiday with Ian Henderson and Danny Crow last year.... (proof that he likes kids).

He still has a bit of talent, isn''t on much money (I hope), and won''t care less if he is stuck in the reserves or the bench as long as he can still call himself a pro-footballer and delay the move to Lowestoft Town for a year.

Luke Daley is rubbish on the right, Korey Smith we need in the middle. With the number of players that this club needs to bring, I would say at least 6, I can''t see us bringing in two right midfielders....

Personally I bet he will sign another year on a grand a week or something and help out with the kids. I''m not saying that we will see him for anymore than two or three games, but it would solve that niggly little problem of two per position. Unless..... Lambert thinks that Stephen Hughes can do a job on the right, and in fairness to Hughes..... he can cross a ball.

Rubbish?

I don''t see it sorry. The other problem with that is that McVeigh has never been a right winger. His most succesful seasons came when playing on the left hand side. So when Hucks joined the club it was the beginning of the end for him.

I would argue that his most successful spell was actually his half a season behind the forwards.... when he banged in 14 goals by January.... he then moved to the left, and THAT was the beginning of the end for him....

Which is precisely why I didn''t understand why we couldn''t have given him a run out when Hoolohan was injured, we were so lacklustre for a couple of games - MK Dons included - that I really believe he could have done a job in that little role behind the forwards... I''ve seen a lot of reserve games this season..... there is still no better player at the club when it comes to the final ball... and only one player with a better first touch (Hoolohan).....

I would actually be dissapointed if he went to play for Lowestoft last year, he still has a lot about his game.... I would like to see him try and find a League Two club where he could have a few swansong years like Peter Thorne at Bradford.....

And yes, in case you think I''m insane, I can judge a player.... I played pro myself for a couple of years.... in League Two actually.... and McVeigh could still do very well at that level.

I was thinking this the other day. He looks sharp in the warm-ups, and wouldn''t be on the bench if Lambert didn''t see something.

His presence in the squad as a person is supposedly very positive as well.

For me, I''d give him 2 starts to prove he''s worthy of another year - as a player/part-time coach.

If he doesn''t perform, goodbye!

His best days are well behind him . he is older and fatter since then. He hardly played a game in league 1 so why keep him on in the championship. The club is not a charity case

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]His best days are well behind him . he is older and fatter since then. He hardly played a game in league 1 so why keep him on in the championship. The club is not a charity case[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. We wasted a contract on a clearly past it Cureton (who we then struggled to offload) and I''m sure that Lambert is astute enough to avoid a similar situation.

Saw him play in the reserves and I thought him worthy of inclusion in the squad this year, but I don''t think he''s physically able to make the step up to the championship. Yes he has skill on the ball and an eye for a good pass but I think he would be too much of a passenger, and I seriously doubt he could play 90 minutes, week in, week out.I agree it would be nice to see him on the pitch against Carlisle to say goodbye and sing that song just one more time.

McVeigh is a couple of games away from triggering a clause that would get him a new deal. I dont think we will activate the clause as he definitely is not a player that will take us forward next year.

However i wouldnt be suprised if he had a cameo against Carlisle to say bye to the fans.

I am a big WLY fan but if he is here and still making the subs bench next year we have not progressed over the summer.  In league one he can perform a role,  and I would love to see him start against carlisle in the hoolahan role which he was born to fulfill but that is unlikely to happen. 

Next seasons bench should be occupied by youngsters, new signings and those members of this years first team who remain excellent squad players but not quite up to being a key starting player at champs level

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Dan-NCFC"]He''s a good lad. And these next 2 games I think he should definately start, nothing to lose![/quote]

nothing to lose apart from triggering a clause for a new deal.....

[/quote]As ever though, it depends very much on what the deal is.[:)]

He had one or two good games at the beginning of the season, but the fact that he has not played recently suggests that if PL can get someone better, he will, and I fear that McV will be off.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Do you mind me asking who you played for and would we know you :))[/quote]

Lol, I very much doubt that you would know me..... eight games in two and a half years for a very poor northern team, a one sentence Wikipedia entry. I was alright on Football Manager one season though, even if they did make me half a foot taller than I actually am :/ ....... I wasn''t good enough, but I enjoyed it whilst it last, a few years ago now.... I was going to try and get myself a Ryman league club this summer, miss the male company, but a broken league puts paid to that.... Carrow Road instead :) It gave me a great insight into footballers though, particularly at that level, so many of them could be making more money away from the game and the vast majority are great lads. I''m currently studying to be a licensed agent, you defo would have heard of one of the players who has agreed to let me take some of their wages, maybe I will spill the beans one day.

[quote]you defo would have heard of one of the players who has agreed to let me

take some of their wages[/quote]Um, would that player be Paul McVeigh ? [8-)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]you defo would have heard of one of the players who has agreed to let me take some of their wages[/quote]

Um, would that player be Paul McVeigh ? [8-)]
[/quote]

Lol, no, I do not not Paul McVeigh. No motive in this thread, I just rate him as a player and believe that he can do a job for somebody a little lower down the pyramid.

I don''t think that he should be given another year because he has barely played this year and the gap between Championship and League 1, as we have seen, is very big and I don''t think that he will be played next year anyway!

I like the guy and appreciate his effort since his return with us. Ok, he''s not exactly made a significant contribution but he''s been apart of the squad and has fulfilled his role when called upon and you can''t ask for any more than that. I don''t get all the weight jibes either, he''s been looking much better this season. All the same, I don''t think he''ll be with us next season and I can''t see there really being a need for him. We''ll need stronger competition for places next term and I can''t see McVeigh factoring in Lambert''s plans. I have no problem with this, we can''t afford to be sentimental, plus it''s not like he''s a legend compared to a Iwan Roberts or a Darren Huckerby.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]you defo would have heard of one of the players who has agreed to let me take some of their wages[/quote]Um, would that player be Paul McVeigh ? [8-)][/quote]

Lol, no, I do not not Paul McVeigh. No motive in this thread, I just rate him as a player and believe that he can do a job for somebody a little lower down the pyramid.

[/quote]I thought you said he''s good enough for a year here?