Sign in to follow this  
Block E Buh

Would you rather be 12th in the Championship or League 1 Champions?

Hypothetical but would you rather have finished 12th in the Championship this season or spent the season in this league and be Champions? Is rebuilding the best form of having a great 2011?

I have to agree, 1 step back will hopefully be 2 steps forward plus we all needed to be happy at Carrow Road even if it was at another level.

Depends! If you mean League 1 champs with the current scenario and Championship with what squad and manager?Next year 12th wouldn''t be the end of the world for us.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Depends! If you mean League 1 champs with the current scenario and Championship with what squad and manager?

Next year 12th wouldn''t be the end of the world for us.
[/quote]

this is the best possibility i think.

If you told me we''d finish 12th next season in the Championship, I''d take it like a shot. As much as I''d love us to emulate Leicester or Blackpool, if we didn''t do it then it wouldn''t be the end of the world at all. The Championship is improving all the time and if we are brutally honest, the quality of opposition is vastly superior to that of the majority of League One teams, with all due respect to them. I don''t know about you lot, but I don''t fancy the prospect of another Championship relegation battle.A solid season in the Championship to re-establish ourselves and keep our dodgy finances in order would serve us in good stead for a crack at the Premiership the next season. By all means we should aim for the play-offs so we have something to work towards, but ANYTHING is an improvement on the last time we were in the Championship. We seriously need to strengthen the squad if we''re thinking of a play-off push. I don''t think McNally will let the finances get out of control and he''ll allow Lambert to spend solidly and wisely. If the players give 100% and take us to within touching distance of the play-offs then brilliant. If not, we''ll have a solid foundation on which to build upon next season, ala Nottingham Forest last season.

I have enjoyed this season very much. Having said that i would take 12th place in the championship next season. If things god forbid went toes up again in the future and we went back to league 1 this season has shown it is not an easy place to get promoted from

Is it a choice of 12th in the champs or promotion from league one?  With gunn in charge we were facing a relegation battle, and would not have had the boardroom changes we have seen.

I have enjoyed our visit to league one.  The football has been of a poor standard overall but it has been competetive but more cruicially the banter of real fans has been a breath of fresh air.   Give me this feeeling any time.

In many ways the pressure and tedium of pushing for prem does not inspire me,  unrealistic expectations and a stated aim of wanting to finish 12-17th in the prem amongst more corporate fans?    Not sure I want that!

What is exciting is the prospect of watching Paul Lambert progress;  he is talented and I can only hope he fulfills as much of his potential as he can with NCFC :-) 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Is it a choice of 12th in the champs or promotion from league one?  With gunn in charge we were facing a relegation battle, and would not have had the boardroom changes we have seen.

I have enjoyed our visit to league one.  The football has been of a poor standard overall but it has been competetive but more cruicially the banter of real fans has been a breath of fresh air.   Give me this feeeling any time.

In many ways the pressure and tedium of pushing for prem does not inspire me,  unrealistic expectations and a stated aim of wanting to finish 12-17th in the prem amongst more corporate fans?    Not sure I want that!

What is exciting is the prospect of watching Paul Lambert progress;  he is talented and I can only hope he fulfills as much of his potential as he can with NCFC :-) 

[/quote]Agree with all that, especially the bit about the Prem.

I think the point is that, in order to finish 12th this year, we would have had to have avoided relegation last year - & nothing would have changed. In which case relegation would have been inevitable sometime soon.Far better to go into next season with a real momentum & a completely different attitude throughout the club.None of this was certain though. Relegation could just as easily have led to a long slide into obscurity, but the rapidity of the drop forced drastic rethinking, And, thank God, it''s worked!

Isnt it possible that Lambert will be able to bring in new players capable of getting us into the playoffs? I would think that Norwich would be a good club to join now if they (the new players) have ambition to play in the premier league. Norwich is i big club in the championship, with ambition and a really good manager...

People saying they would take 12th next season are missing the point.The way of looking at it is to ask who is more likely to finish ahead of the other next season, us or Ipswich? Or if we hadn''t been relegated and finished 12th, would we be more likely to do better next season than our current squad will as league 1 champions?For me that''s a very difficult question. I think in our position, 12th indicates stagnation, as it does with Ipswich, when teams get stuck around those positions it can often be difficult for them to break way, too many players on relatively high wages who can''t cut it at the top level of the championship and are difficult to get rid of. Discontented players who want to leave for a team with a better chance of promotion, an average manager etc. For us, we have none of those problems, our best players are unlikely to have their heads turned too easily, we have a great manager and our wage bill will be low enough to ensure we have the possibilty of building a good squad, 2 of our highest earners are out of contract in the summer in Russell and Doherty, so we can discount them from the wage bill, that''s not to say we should get rid of them, just if we decide to keep them it''s effectively the same as signing a player on a free, i.e. we have a choice.

I know it''s all academic now, but had we, by some fluke, stayed up last year I just cannot see how we would have finished anywhere near as high as 12th.  We''d still have had the same management team, the same board and probably the same huge turnover of players (including loans), nothing would have changed and we''d probably have finished bottom.

^ Agreed.

This season has been a kick up the backside to the club, it''s been needed.

We''ve now got an exciting young manager, a man who''s calling the shots round the club thats actually got a set of cajones (I don''t mean that to sound sexist, I just mean we''ve got someone who''s got a ruthless streak we''ve lacked for so long).

And the players we''ve got look like they want to acheive success and help the club progress.

Yes it''s been our lowest finish in 50 years but it might just have helped us in the long run.

And a manger who belives in his players,and who inserts self belief into those who had given up.All in all we have the makings of a quality side in any league! Just proud to be NCFC!

Sitting in CR during the open day last year straight after being relegated, I felt utterly depressed at the thought of  visits from Yeovil and Exeter. However this has turned into the most enjoyable season for a long time. I wouldn''t want to be here for more than one season, but it''s been great experience. I think a lot of Leicester fans would tell you similar about their year down here.

LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS :)

If we had of stayed up last season, I don''t think we would have made 12th place or higher this season. Whilst I agree that winning the league has been amazing and the games we have played this season have at times been good, I wouldn''t want to have to stay down next season. I''m looking forward to Championship football again.

Having read some of these very interesting posts I think Champions of League 1 has meant that a new ethos for the Club is in place and we will go forward to even higher than 12th next season!

The theory about relegation being a good thing in the long term is a bit of a cliche but it definitely has a grain of truth in it. Relegation forced the club to completely re-evaluate itself and the resulting changes have definitely been for the better. The same could be said of Leicester. If we had stayed up nothing would have changed and in all likelihood it would have been another depressing season of struggle. So yes, I''d take League 1 Champions any day.