Sign in to follow this  
Superstitious Dave

bristol rovers away

I shall be returning to the wild west this weekend - lived next to the ground for three years in late 90s.

If it''s still there you should try the Annexe Inn 10 mins from the ground. There used to be a few bars along Gloucester Road (the main road which the ground is off) but no idea if they allow away fans or if they are there any more. There''s also an original Banksy at the end of this road at Stokes Croft...

i will be taking my little boy to his first game!

pete, the annex is still there and glos road has smartened up considerably since the late 90s. altho the glos arms, wellington and inn on the green appear to fill up with gasheads ,there are plenty of boozers on glos road heading downhill towards town. the royal oak is good tho there are lots more.as its all on one road i would follow the yellow hordes!

[quote user="the bristol nest"]i will be taking my little boy to his first game! pete, the annex is still there and glos road has smartened up considerably since the late 90s. altho the glos arms, wellington and inn on the green appear to fill up with gasheads ,there are plenty of boozers on glos road heading downhill towards town. the royal oak is good tho there are lots more.as its all on one road i would follow the yellow hordes![/quote]

Is the aussie theme pub still there? I forget its name. Used to live behind that on Brynland Avenue. What about the awful Rising Sun?

I think the Bristol Flyer is pretty great nowadays (used to live round the corner). It''s up Gloucester Road on the left, if you''re headed to the ground from the city centre. Not sure of football colours status...

Just to be aware that the ''Gloucester Road'' mentioned is miles long and runs from near the centre of Bristol to the outskirts. Anyone getting a taxi should head for Bishopston area if they want pubs etc.

The ground is on the border of Bishopston / Horfield.

Closer you get to the ground the more Homey the pubs become although cant see any probs for saturday.

OTBC

PARKING

You''ll be extremely lucky if you can find a space on Filton Avenue unless you arrive a couple of days in advance. All of the areas around the ground are residential and you''ll have to battle for spaces with the locals as well as other home and away fans and police cones. With very few exceptions, finding a space within a five to ten-minute walk is relatively easy - parking on Muller Road is a popular choice as is Gloucester Road although this is often more difficult. If Muller Road and Gloucester Road are busy then there are many other roads across the other side of Gloucester Road - travel past the Wellington pub along Kellaway Avenue and you''ll find another area of roads often used for matchday parking.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT

From the city centre a number of buses run up Gloucester Road and along Filton Avenue directly past the Memorial Stadium. Detailed timetables and bus numbers can be found at the First Group website. Trains also run from the city''s main station, Bristol Temple Meads, to Montpelier (less than two miles from the stadium) and to Bristol Parkway (a similar distance). Timetables for trains can be found at the First Great Western website. A taxi to the Memorial Stadium from the city centre is likely to cost around £6, although with a standing charge of not much less than £3 wherever you cab from, it''s likely to make little difference if you catch a taxi if this is your preferred method of transport.

PUBS

There are many, many pubs along Gloucester Road and its surrounding areas that declare themselves as "football friendly zones" on Saturday afternoons and weekday evenings. The Wellington is always very busy and often sees crowds of supporters standing outside drinking when the weather isn''t too bad. Other pubs include The Royal George, The Anchor, The Foresters and The Ashley Arms. As an area of the city that is popular with students, there is no shortage of pubs in all directions.

The Ashley Arms mentioned in SouthWest Canary''s list of pubs fortunately no longer exists and is now called the Lazy Dog. If you get into Bristol early a very pleasant pub tour  of about 1.5 miles up the Glouscester Road (from the City Centre end of the road) to the Memorial Ground can be had by starting at The Prince of Wales (on the corner of Gloucester Road/Zetland Road) taking in some other fine hosteleries along the route such as The Robin Hood Retreat, The Bristol Flyer, The Victoria, The Royal Oak to name a few before finishing at The Wellington opposite the ground, there are also lots of great cafes and take aways along the route as well.

[quote user="norfolk_canary"]im going with 5 mates, but bloody hell the train tickets are expensive [:O][/quote]What way are you going?  Norwich - London - Bristol?  What''s the best fare you''ve found, let me know and I''ll try to reduce it for you (if you''ve not yet bought your tickets)!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="norfolk_canary"]im going with 5 mates, but bloody hell the train tickets are expensive [:O]
[/quote]What way are you going?  Norwich - London - Bristol?  What''s the best fare you''ve found, let me know and I''ll try to reduce it for you (if you''ve not yet bought your tickets)!
[/quote]

and there''s bound to be engineering works en route!

I checked for Braintree to Bristol for me and my son with a railcard (family friends) - it was £55!

Now got to decide whether to drive or not. It''ll be cheaper but will roabbly get stuck in the M4 traffic jam!

How about driving to somewhere like Didcot Parkway?  Only £16 return all in for you and the boy and saves most of the M4 traffic.

pete, the rising sun is still awful but the Flyer is now a foodie modern pub. lots of cafes have opened up as well as restaurants. I think you,ll see an improvement, tho Brynland Ave is a bizarre one way road where I often get shouted at for pretending that i didn''t know!

I am sure that colours will be fine on saturday as there''s no ill feeling towards us.

I''ll be there via the trusty coach travel service. Will hopefully have time to grab a beer or two before the game, otherwise I shall just enjoy the sunshine. Looking forward to it, should be a great atmosphere. My first time in a terrace as well believe it or not, looking forward to that! After sitting on the coach for god knows how long I shall be glad to stretch the legs.