Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

DELIA..More than `many` are happy with you now! so..

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.[/quote]The serious black mark against Brown is that he allowed an unneccessary relegation. A side with Woods in goal and Bruce and Watson in central defence should never have got relegated (even allowing for the absurdity of Coventry being able to play three games at the end of the season).The second promotion he achieved should not have been needed. Brown''s record has to be looked at with that in mind.[/quote]Agree with this to some degree... but from 1980 to 1985 were we not a side that always flirted with relegation?Maybe we should not have been relegated in 1985, but I think that we came back all the stronger for it finishing 5th in 1986 with a team which contained at least 5 players of Stringer''s starting 11 and at least 4 in Walker''s.[/quote]"1980 to 1985 were we not a side that always flirted with

relegation?" No. The two seasons before that unnecessary relegation from the top flight we had finished a fairly comfortable 14th.I certainly don''t deny that Brown had some excellent qualities but for me what you are good enough to accept probably was an avoidable relegation rules him out of consideration for a place in the top three of Norwich managers. And for me they are (purely alphabetically) Bond, Stringer, Walker.[/quote]As good as Channon, Deehan and Hartford were on their day, I think that many players especially some of the elder statesmen at the club took their eye off the ball with regards to the league and focused on Wembley instead from Feb/March of 85''We also had Mark Barham whose career had been all but finished through injury.All of those players were replaced during the 12 months or so following relegation, so while it was possibly avoidable - it started to give chances to the likes of Culverhouse, Bowen, Phelan, Crook, Fox etc plus we signed Bryan Gunn to replace Woods and the fantastic Kevin Drinkell who was sold later to give us the money to bring in perhaps Stringer''s finest signing in Fleck.  Infact the money we made on the Woods for Gunn deal, plus the Drinkell for Fleck deals enabled us to cover Stringer''s best two signings in Fleck and Townsend possibly.

i will be the first to admit ,im no fan of Delia''s.

but saying that ,i will give credit where its due .

hopefully the trend of putting wrongs right will continue .

so with tongue in cheek...well done Delia ..!!

Wow Smudger! That was a very comprehensive detailed report! ..And i stand corrected! ..As i said before,Brown was just out of my footballing life..And though i have read and heard and watched lots of previous videos,now dvds on those years,i do not know enough to judge him...I always thought the sun shined out of stringers posterior....Though im still sure Stringer did guide the youth team to fa cup victory bringing through fox,as saw a vhs recording of it once from Anglia tv..

I still can''t believe we lost that semi final to Sunderland, I was absolutely devastated, strangely probably more so than the relegation from the Prem a few years later.  I think it was because I virtually assumed we would win, I knew it was a great chance and possibly our only chance to reach the FA Cup final, will we have another?

If my memory serves me right I remember thinking how ill Stringer looked and how poorly we played.  Stringer should not have been manager then he had lost it and we would probably have made the FA Cup final if he wasn''t.

Question for Smudger............. How old you are?

You have given your opinions on the merits of managers and players going back in excess of 25 years to the early and middle 1980''s on this thread.I thought you were in your early to middle thirties so it would make your knowledge of these times based on you being about 10 at the time.Is this therefore first hand knowledge or something you gleaned from the history books mate.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

You have given your opinions on the merits of managers and players going back in excess of 25 years to the early and middle 1980''s on this thread.I thought you were in your early to middle thirties so it would make your knowledge of these times based on you being about 10 at the time.Is this therefore first hand knowledge or something you gleaned from the history books mate.

[/quote]

At a guess I would say he was 37[:^)]

[quote user="Barclaybred"]Wow Smudger! That was a very comprehensive detailed report! ..And i stand corrected! ..As i said before,Brown was just out of my footballing life..And though i have read and heard and watched lots of previous videos,now dvds on those years,i do not know enough to judge him...I always thought the sun shined out of stringers posterior....Though im still sure Stringer did guide the youth team to fa cup victory bringing through fox,as saw a vhs recording of it once from Anglia tv..[/quote]

League and Cup double as I remember it Barclaybred. Don''t remember Fox playing though, I think he was a little later although I wouldn''t mind betting Stringer brought him through the reserves. Stringer moved to Reserve Team Manager after that Youth Cup win. Then after Machin went to Manchester City Stringer moved up to Assistant Manager to Ken Brown. Dave Stringer was very influential at the club through the 80''s not only when he was manager but while Ken Brown was manager too.

You are fast becoming one of my favourite posters. [Y] And to think our paths only crossed because you called me an idiot.[:S] But again you have shown that you don''t have a prayer in challenging for my title. Anyway, if we have two thicko''s on this forum it will give some of the old boys apoplexy for sure.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Having first hand knowledge is unimportant Tilly . You will soon be in as much trouble as me. History books or Google is the way forward apparently..................

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]36 and I started following City in 1982.

Well they left mostly soon after they came in... except Dave Carolan. He stayed at the club for 9-10 years and left with all the other staff under Roeder. Now full time at Colchester and has completed a double promotion with Lowestoft. Also did some stuff for the Olympics I think...

The other two were Joe Dunbar who was Lennox Lewis''s conditioner and worked also with a number of Premiership teams including Charlton at their peak.

The last guy was keith power and he does a mix of business mentoring and consults a number of premiership players on the mind games!!!

Wonder if he could figure out how to deal with Mourinho??!!!

[quote user="rocky marshall"]Well they left mostly soon after they came in... except Dave Carolan. He stayed at the club for 9-10 years and left with all the other staff under Roeder. Now full time at Colchester and has completed a double promotion with Lowestoft. Also did some stuff for the Olympics I think... The other two were Joe Dunbar who was Lennox Lewis''s conditioner and worked also with a number of Premiership teams including Charlton at their peak. The last guy was keith power and he does a mix of business mentoring and consults a number of premiership players on the mind games!!! Wonder if he could figure out how to deal with Mourinho??!!![/quote]

So Rocky what was the story behind these ''fitness coaches that Delia brought in''?

About Mourinho - I think that Mourinho deals with you rather than viceversa. No need for you to deal with him. Do what you''re told or ship out is the system I understand! Makes things very simple, I guess.[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]bart-simpson-generator.gif picture by canaryeddie[/quote]That''s sorted thenhttp://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Dave+Stringer&word2=Ken+Brown

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

36 and I started following City in 1982.
[/quote]

Good to see you have such a good in depth knowledge of club managers, players and time lines concerning them for an 8 year old back in 1982.I am impressed.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Question for Smudger............. How old you are?

[/quote]At a guess I would say he was 37[:^)][/quote]36 and I started following City in 1982.[/quote]Good to see you have such a good in depth knowledge of club managers, players and time lines concerning them for an 8 year old back in 1982.I am impressed.[/quote]And considering he lived in Liecester where there was no access to the EDP or Pink-un, no Anglia news or Look East. Yep, very impressive! [^o)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Barclaybred"]Wow Smudger! That was a very comprehensive detailed report! ..And i stand corrected! ..As i said before,Brown was just out of my footballing life..And though i have read and heard and watched lots of previous videos,now dvds on those years,i do not know enough to judge him...I always thought the sun shined out of stringers posterior....Though im still sure Stringer did guide the youth team to fa cup victory bringing through fox,as saw a vhs recording of it once from Anglia tv..[/quote]

League and Cup double as I remember it Barclaybred. Don''t remember Fox playing though, I think he was a little later although I wouldn''t mind betting Stringer brought him through the reserves. Stringer moved to Reserve Team Manager after that Youth Cup win. Then after Machin went to Manchester City Stringer moved up to Assistant Manager to Ken Brown. Dave Stringer was very influential at the club through the 80''s not only when he was manager but while Ken Brown was manager too.

You are fast becoming one of my favourite posters. [Y] And to think our paths only crossed because you called me an idiot.[:S] But again you have shown that you don''t have a prayer in challenging for my title. Anyway, if we have two thicko''s on this forum it will give some of the old boys apoplexy for sure.

[/quote]

:) same to you you nige (hope the familarity hasnt gone too far ) ..Seriously i do owe you a big apology for that attack, and with you Big N and smudger posting,im sure to be enlightend in the future on many subjects,NCFC or otherwise related! :)

[quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

:) same to you you nige (hope the familarity hasnt gone too far ) ..Seriously i do owe you a big apology for that attack, and with you Big N and smudger posting,im sure to be enlightend in the future on many subjects,NCFC or otherwise related! :)

[/quote]

I''m sure we''re all very happy for the pair of you.

Here''s to a long and mutually satisfying relationship.

[D]

OTBC

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Question for Smudger............. How old you are?

[/quote]At a guess I would say he was 37[:^)][/quote]36 and I started following City in 1982.[/quote]Good to see you have such a good in depth knowledge of club managers, players and time lines concerning them for an 8 year old back in 1982.I am impressed.[/quote]And considering he lived in Liecester where there was no access to the EDP or Pink-un, no Anglia news or Look East. Yep, very impressive! [^o)]

[/quote]EDP, Pink-Un and Anglia TV were atreat saved for visiting Nan in the School Holidays back in the good old days when I was in short trousers Lapp... [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]36 and I started following City in 1982.[/quote]

Good to see you have such a good in depth knowledge of club managers, players and time lines concerning them for an 8 year old back in 1982.I am impressed.

[/quote]Ahh but those were the days when a youngster went [urely for the love of the game Tilly.82'' I don''t have much knowledge of but the era between 1984 and 1987 I remember ever so fondly.  Along with say 1988 to 1994 and more recently our play off seasonm Championship winning season and this season I would say those eras are remembered better than any other for me.  They certainly stick out more in my memory than the Hamilton days when I regularly counted sheep watching games - along with the more recent stuff under Grant, Roeder and Gunn too.

[quote user="Smudger"]when I regularly counted sheep watching games - along with the more recent stuff under Grant, Roeder and Gunn too.[/quote]But, didn''t you tell us you didn''t go to games then? [^o)]

[quote user="Smudger"]They certainly stick out more in my memory than the Hamilton days when I regularly counted sheep watching games - along with the more recent stuff under Grant, Roeder and Gunn too.[/quote]Did you start off with the River End and work your way round?