Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

DELIA..More than `many` are happy with you now! so..

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Plonker.....showing yourself for what you really are. A bit strange to boot...

[/quote]

I am what I am Mello. And I''m just as happy trading insults as debating issues. Good job really because the insults usually come if someone questions your point of view.. don''t they pet[:^)]

Anyways.... got something really really important to ask you............

[/quote]

I rest my case....

Its simples really..

1) Mistakes have been made in the past and the blame and criticism was laid at the door of delia and co...Bad Delia

2)She,as far as im aware,then instigated some changes at board level...Good Delia

3)Instead of bringing in another lap dog who seemed to be more  business orientated than the nitty gritty of the  football world,a pitbull came in with a wealth of experience from said footballing world..Good Delia

4)Even though she ,to me,seemed to thrive on being at the for front,she decided and knew it was best to take a step back and unleash this dog to do his nasty business,which included chasing gunn down the NCFC garden path and out..Good Delii

5)And as a result of this,the pitbull,in lassie hollywood tradition,took his owner 70 miles down the road and wagged his tail at the prize crufts dog sitting in his kennel surrounded by mud called weston homes..She got the message and brought the new top dog home...Good Delia

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="morty"]And so it goes round and round and round and round and round.[:)][/quote]

Well I was laughed at when I said at one of the NCISA forums about 12 to 18 months ago that a large number of fans would never forgive the board or certain board members.

Maybe a little OTT - but Smith, Jones and Foulger all have an awful lot of work to do to see a large number of the clubs fans ever find total trust or forgiveness for them.

Some people let their wives have 25 affairs and still stay married to them... it''s a funny old world sometimes.

[/quote]

Smith must score... if you are reading then I think this was when you had to tell that old bat (for the rest of you I am not referring to Delia here) "to get back in her box, or cave" or whatever it was because I should not have an opinion not having a Norfolk accent should I?

[/quote]Yes that''s the one.....There were four or five of them, all in their sixties, and I doubt they ever cross the county boundary without their passports. Astonished that someone without a full-on Norfolk twang should dare speak out the old girl with them muttered something along the lines of  " What does he know he''s not even from Norfolk ". As her whiskery companions nodded in agreement I merely pointed out that the only NCFC Board member who was local, with or without a Norfolk accent, was the chicken farmer from Banham.The silence said it all....

To smudger,If you claim Stringer inherited browns squad,read the big yellow book of our history! Stringer took us to 5TH and 4TH ...And 2 fa cup semis...And now look at who did inherit that squad..Walker!  So as far as im concerned,stringer was better than both brown and walker...though i was too young to appreciate anything before stringer.Martin o`neil!!! 3/4 months and you judge him as one of our best?? ...Worthy though was brill and with the board of today,would be,imo,as good as lambert

I have to get away now. I don''t really have anything more pressing matters to take care of  but it will make me seem more important than a humble bog cleaner. Quote from NN

You really are full of it!

Trying to seem important am I. For your information my wife is ill in hospital!

At this point words fail me..............

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

Been out of contact lately (personal reasons)

[/quote]

Anyway, I hope all is well with you and yours after your absence from the board.
[/quote]

my wife is ill in hospital!

[/quote]

I''m sorry to hear that my friend and I hope she makes a swift recovery.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

OT.

Hey Smudger,

Here is the latest appeal to the masses by Clegg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8647013.stm

If this idiot holds the balance of power I really hope the Conservatives and Labour

join in coalition and tell him to get stuffed!

[/quote]

Don''t nurses interfere too much already in parts of the NHS they woul not have the first clue about?  Of course this has no small part to play in New Labour being unable to get to grips with things, despite creating many new mickey mouse courses at Universities around the countries which gave qualifications to people to tackle the problems faced by the NHS. 

They still seem to think it is better to train a nurse up from within to look at lets say economics, rather than get somebody in who is qualified to do the job.  Nurses should stick to testing pulses and blood pressures then handing out the drugs a doctor has prescribed in view.

I don''t expect that the Tories ideas on how to sort out the NHS to be any different from Brown and Clegg though... Clueless mate but as long as they are making money on education without ensuring that the public sector is getting to grips with employing the right kinds of people then who are we to grumble?  Keep on wasting £-multi-millions per year and rasing those taxes! [:D] [<:o)]

Rather like a Cook getting over involved with the running of a Football Club... [:$]

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

To smudger,If you claim Stringer inherited browns squad,read the big yellow book of our history! Stringer took us to 5TH and 4TH ...And 2 fa cup semis...And now look at who did inherit that squad..Walker!  So as far as im concerned,stringer was better than both brown and walker...though i was too young to appreciate anything before stringer.Martin o`neil!!! 3/4 months and you judge him as one of our best?? ...Worthy though was brill and with the board of today,would be,imo,as good as lambert

[/quote]

Totally agree with you,how can anyone diss stringers mangement?..He brought in loads of decent players like fleck bowen and culverhouse etc and i think crook..Before that he was with the youh squad and won the fa youth cup bringing through fox!   Walker got lucky taking over a side that had in the previous 5 seasons been in the top 6 twice and the fa cup semifinals..Who did walker bring in? okay the midget from man u was good,but who else?

I reckon that the two Davids, Stringer and Williams, were probably the best we  had in my time. Bond and Brown ran them close mind. We always look back on Walkers side that finished third and got us into mEurope but for me, Stringer & Williams side in 88/89 were at least their equal. That season, after the Easter fixtures, we were 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and in the FA Cup Semis. We were only a good centre-forward short of winning things in my opinion. We can always play "what if" but I often wonder what if Chris Sutton had come through a few years earlier.

As for Mike Walkers best signing? Well it was probably Iwan during his second spell as manager.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

A bit Off Topic but do forgive me......

Last night I saw a political broadcast by Clegg about broken promises by the others. 

So IF he goes into coalition with the Tories or Labour (and theres nothing to stop them forming a coalition and cutting Clegg out - that would be funny) what is

he going to say about his broken promises when he doesn''t get ALL of his promises implemented?

Back to the football........

[/quote]

Here''s hoping for a hung parliament mate... [Y]

Personally I think that all of the till dipping beggars should be hung!

Our politicians are much like our happy clappers and Delia, who seem to think if they just sit and hope for the best then things will change.  Things change when somebody has the balls to do things that others don''t like - as McNally done when upsetting ickle little Colchester earlier this season.  Unfortunately I see no prospect of that with regards to politics making anything better in the UK over the next 15 years mate.

[/quote]@Tangy:  "The nasty bigger kids made me break my promises" will be Clegg''s line.@Smudger: As a happy clapper I resent being compared to a politician@Both: totally agree on the NHS about nurses getting on with nursing and administrators doing the administration.  However I wouldn''t want to let an economist run a stall at the village fete with the track record of that profession recently.

Did walker give us Iwan? Thought it was Rioch for some reason..Okay then that was good biz,but one things for sure,when Iwan was here in his first season,he was over weight and was not liked by the crowd..2nd season he came was trim and bsuting a gut to play for us..Who was responisble for the transformation then?

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]

Did walker give us Iwan? Thought it was Rioch for some reason..Okay then that was good biz,but one things for sure,when Iwan was here in his first season,he was over weight and was not liked by the crowd..2nd season he came was trim and bsuting a gut to play for us..Who was responisble for the transformation then?

[/quote]

So, Walker gave us Iwan de jure.

And Rioch gave us Iwan de facto.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]So, Walker gave us Iwan de jure.

And Rioch gave us Iwan de facto.[/quote]And you give us de shi-s.[:D]

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]

[/quote]

Yes mate, Walker signed Roberts. He came into a bit of money for the 97/98 season when we received 3m for Andy Johnson and a sell on for Mike Sheron. Mike Walker spent half this on two great signings. 900,000 for Iwan and 600,000 for Craig Fleming.

I reckon there were many factors to Iwan''s increased fitness the next season when Bruce Rioch took over. That first season he had been carrying an injury was part of it. The new fitness coaching that was brought in after Watling sold to Smith&Jones (much to Walkers annoyance prompting him to make his famous anti-Delia comment that''s used by her detractors even today) Bruce Rioch the following season when for the first time the club really took to the fitness coaching, medical monitoring and stricter diet. Bruce Rioch himself and of course Iwan himself who took to regularly using the gym. Something I think he later said he wished he''d done earlier in his career.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]So, Walker gave us Iwan de jure.

And Rioch gave us Iwan de facto.[/quote]And you give us de shi-s.[:D]

[/quote]

Well, Lappy there''s another of these little gems that de shi-t cleaner hawks around from time to time.

• Stringer gave us the successes of the 1987-92 period de jure.
  • But Williams gave us those successes de facto.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="Eadienhucks"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

[/quote]

Totally agree with you,how can anyone diss stringers mangement?..He brought in loads of decent players like fleck bowen and culverhouse etc and i think crook..Before that he was with the youh squad and won the fa youth cup bringing through fox!   Walker got lucky taking over a side that had in the previous 5 seasons been in the top 6 twice and the fa cup semifinals..Who did walker bring in? okay the midget from man u was good,but who else?

[/quote]

Ken Brown sacked by Robert Chase - 9th November 1987

Mark Bowen signed July 87 – made debut 19th Aug 87

Ian Culverhouse signed 7/10/85 - debut on 12th

Oct 85 (V’s Carlisle)

Ian Crook signed 13th June 86 - debut was 23rd

Aug 86

Yes I will admit that Stringer got a great signing in

Flecky, but was he simply a replacement for Kevin Drinkell, which should of

come maybe a year earlier?

“Kevin made a footballing name for himself at Grimsby where he scored

89 goals in 272 appearances. He moved to Norwich

in June 1985 with a tribunal fixing his value at £105,000. His 22 league goals

in his first season at Carrow Road

played a major role in Norwich''s

Division Two championship and return to the top-flight. In 150 appearances for Norwich, he scored 57

goals at a strike rate of 2.63 matches per goal. He joined Scottish giants

Rangers for £600,000 in June 1988 as Graeme Souness'' side won the Scottish

league and Skol Cup. Kevin scored 19 goals in 42 matches for Rangers before

joining Coventry

in October 1989. At Highfield Road, he encountered a goals famine and was

loaned to Birmingham

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/drinkell.htm

Norwich

manager Dave Stringer paid £580,000 to bring Fleck to Carrow Road although reports from the

time suggest that Stringer was initially interested in fellow Rangers striker

Mark Falco. He made his debut against Wimbledon

two days later.

Whilst in his first spell with Norwich,

Fleck quickly became a fan favourite. He was leading scorer for four

consecutive seasons scoring a total of 66 goals in 181 appearances” http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/fleck.htm

So like-for-like there except Brown brought in a great value

for money signing which allowed Stringer to spend the money made on Drinkell on

like-for-like quality.

Other Brown signings…

Chris Woods signed for £225k in March 1981 and sold to

Rangers for £600k

Bryan Gunn signed for £100k in October 1986 as a belated

replacement for

Chris Woods who

had made the journey to Scotland

to join Rangers that summer. Quickly displacing Graham Benstead as

the first choice Canary custodian, Bryan became a first team regular.

Micky Phelan signed from Burnley

30/05/85

Dave Williams signed 30/05/85 from Bristol Rovers

Ruel Fox also made his debut under Ken Brown.

*All info taken from the Canary Citizens book and Flown From

the Nest http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk

Also maybe you could take a look at the win ratio stats

below?

John Bond &0000000000000340.000000 &0000000000000105.00000 &000000000000011 &00000000&0000000000000030.90000030.9%

Ken Brown &0000000000000367.000000 &0000000000000150.00000 &0000000000000093.00&0000000000000124.00&0000000000000040.90000040.9%

Dave Stringer &0000000000000038.90000038.9%

Mike Walker &0000000000000038.50000038.5%

John Deehan&0000000000000022.40000022.4%

Martin O''Neill &0000000000000046.20000046.2%

Gary Megson &0000000000000015.60000015.6%

Bruce Rioch &0000000000000032.30000032.3%

Bryan Hamilton &0000000000000028.60000028.6%

Nigel Worthington &0000000000000040.70000040.7%

Peter Grant &0000000000000033.30000033.3%

Glenn Roeder &0000000000000030.80000030.8%

Bryan Gunn &0000000000000028.60000028.6%

Paul Lambert &0000000000000066.00000066.0%

Best signings made by Stringer in my opinion – Fleck, Andy

Townsend and a toss-up between either Dave Phillips or Andy T’s replacement –

Tim Sherwood.

Walker and Stringer were very closely matched in my opinion, but for me

Ken Brown and Mel Machin laid the foundations for both.  Many players were signed for next to nothing

by Brown and they certainly laid the foundations for Stringer''s team and

possibly even Walker''s to some extent too.

It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.

[quote user="Eadienhucks"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
 Eadienhucks

wrote:
 Barclaybred

wrote:

To smudger,If you claim Stringer inherited browns squad,read the big

yellow book of our history! Stringer took us to 5TH and 4TH ...And 2 fa

cup semis...And now look at who did inherit that squad..Walker!  So as

far as im concerned,stringer was better than both brown and

walker...though i was too young to appreciate anything before

stringer.Martin o`neil!!! 3/4 months and you judge him as one of our

best?? ...Worthy though was brill and with the board of today,would

be,imo,as good as lambert

Totally agree with you,how can anyone diss stringers mangement?..He

brought in loads of decent players like fleck bowen and culverhouse etc

and i think crook..Before that he was with the youh squad and won the fa

youth cup bringing through fox!   Walker got lucky taking over a side

that had in the previous 5 seasons been in the top 6 twice and the fa

cup semifinals..Who did walker bring in? okay the midget from man u was

good,but who else?
Not quite sure what happened with the win ratio stats last time, so have posted again...

Ken Brown sacked by Robert Chase - 9th November

Mark Bowen signed July 87 – made debut 19th Aug 87

Ian Culverhouse signed 7/10/85 - debut on 12th

Oct 85 (V’s Carlisle)

Ian Crook signed 13th June 86 - debut

was 23rd

Aug 86

Yes I will admit that Stringer got a great signing

in

Flecky, but was he simply a replacement for Kevin Drinkell, which should

of

come maybe a year earlier?

“Kevin made a footballing name for himself at

Grimsby where he scored

89 goals in 272 appearances. He moved to Norwich

in June 1985 with a tribunal fixing his value at £105,000. His 22 league

goals

in his first season at
Carrow Road

played a major role in Norwich''s

Division Two championship and return to the top-flight. In 150

appearances for Norwich, he scored 57

goals at a strike rate of 2.63 matches per goal. He joined Scottish

giants

Rangers for £600,000 in June 1988 as Graeme Souness'' side won the

Scottish

league and Skol Cup. Kevin scored 19 goals in 42 matches for Rangers

before

joining Coventry

in October 1989. At Highfield Road, he encountered a goals famine and

was

loaned to Birmingham”

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/drinkell.htm

“Norwich

manager Dave Stringer paid £580,000 to bring Fleck to
Carrow

Road
although reports from the

time suggest that Stringer was initially interested in fellow Rangers

striker

Mark Falco. He made his debut against Wimbledon

two days later.

Whilst in his first spell with Norwich,

Fleck quickly became a fan favourite. He was leading scorer for four

consecutive seasons scoring a total of 66 goals in 181 appearances” http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/fleck.htm

So like-for-like there except Brown brought in a

great value

for money signing which allowed Stringer to spend the money made on

Drinkell on

like-for-like quality.

Other Brown signings…

Chris Woods signed for £225k in March 1981 and sold

to

Rangers for £600k

Bryan Gunn signed for £100k in October 1986 as a

belated

replacement for

Chris Woods who

had made the journey to Scotland

to join Rangers that summer. Quickly displacing Graham Benstead as

the first choice Canary custodian, Bryan became a first team regular.

Micky Phelan signed from Burnley

30/05/85

Dave Williams signed 30/05/85 from Bristol Rovers

Ruel Fox also made his debut under Ken Brown.

*All info taken from the Canary Citizens book and

Flown From

the Nest http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk

Also maybe you could

take a look at the win ratio stats

below?

John Bond                   30.9%

Ken Brown                 40.9%

Dave Stringer              38.9%

Mike Walker               38.5%

John Deehan               22.4%

Martin O’Neill            46.2%

Gary Megson              15.6%

Bruce Ricoh                32.3%

Bryan Hamilton          28.6%

Nigel Worthington      40.7%

Peter Grant                  33.3%

Glen Roeder                30.8%

Bryan Gunn                28.6%

Paul Lambert               66.0%

Best signings made by Stringer in my opinion – Fleck, Andy

Townsend and a toss-up between either Dave Phillips or Andy T’s replacement –

Tim Sherwood.

Walker and Stringer were very closely matched, but for me

Ken Brown and Mel Machin laid the foundations for both.  Many players were signed for next to nothing

by Brown and they certainly laid the foundations for Stringer''s team and

possibly even Walker''s to some extent too.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.

Smudger, your "win ratio stats" strongly suggest Dave Stringer / Dave Williams because the 38.9% was achieved over a period of 5 years and only in the top tier. This is my view based on the quality of football played too.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.[/quote]The serious black mark against Brown is that he allowed an unneccessary relegation. A side with Woods in goal and Bruce and Watson in central defence should never have got relegated (even allowing for the absurdity of Coventry being able to play three games at the end of the season).The second promotion he achieved should not have been needed. Brown''s record has to be looked at with that in mind.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

No no no!

Walker gave us Iwan de fatso

Rioch gave us Iwan de sure thing! ;)

[/quote]

Actually "Taxi for Johnson" gave us Iwan de fatso

Delia''s new fitness coaches gave us Iwan de fitto

Green grow the rushes-o

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Smudger, your "win ratio stats" strongly suggest Dave Stringer / Dave Williams because the 38.9% was achieved over a period of 5 years and only in the top tier. This is my view based on the quality of football played too.

[/quote]Yes with a team largely given to them by Machin and Brown, but with money to spend on the few players needed to fill the gaps.  Name just ONE fantastic BARGAIN signing made by Stringer, just one Nutty... I bet you''re struggling aren''t you?Walker''s win ratio stats would have been higher if he had decided to have never come back for a 2nd spell, he would of only managed at the top level too.I think your above comment is nonsense mate.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.[/quote]The serious black mark against Brown is that he allowed an unneccessary relegation. A side with Woods in goal and Bruce and Watson in central defence should never have got relegated (even allowing for the absurdity of Coventry being able to play three games at the end of the season).The second promotion he achieved should not have been needed. Brown''s record has to be looked at with that in mind.[/quote]Agree with this to some degree... but from 1980 to 1985 were we not a side that always flirted with relegation?Maybe we should not have been relegated in 1985, but I think that we came back all the stronger for it finishing 5th in 1986 with a team which contained at least 5 players of Stringer''s starting 11 and at least 4 in Walker''s.

[quote user="Smudger"]
I think your above comment is nonsense mate.
[/quote]

Thank you Smudger. There is no higher reccomendation than that[Y]

[;)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.[/quote]The serious black mark against Brown is that he allowed an unneccessary relegation. A side with Woods in goal and Bruce and Watson in central defence should never have got relegated (even allowing for the absurdity of Coventry being able to play three games at the end of the season).The second promotion he achieved should not have been needed. Brown''s record has to be looked at with that in mind.[/quote]Agree with this to some degree... but from 1980 to 1985 were we not a side that always flirted with relegation?Maybe we should not have been relegated in 1985, but I think that we came back all the stronger for it finishing 5th in 1986 with a team which contained at least 5 players of Stringer''s starting 11 and at least 4 in Walker''s.[/quote]"1980 to 1985 were we not a side that always flirted with

relegation?" No. The two seasons before that unnecessary relegation from the top flight we had finished a fairly comfortable 14th.I certainly don''t deny that Brown had some excellent qualities but for me what you are good enough to accept probably was an avoidable relegation rules him out of consideration for a place in the top three of Norwich managers. And for me they are (purely alphabetically) Bond, Stringer, Walker.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]It boils down to a matter of opinion really.  Stats & percentages on the face of it are facts, but don''t reflect  level of football and which decade the football is being played, for example comparing 80s football to 00s has rather a lot of basic differences, the back pass rule for arguments sake or fitness was a massive thing in the early 90s. Or signing players is totally different to getting them to play a certain way and getting the best out of them.I''m not going to say anybody is right or wrong hence a matter of opinion, my opinion Stringer just shaves it.[/quote]So throw in two Centre halves who would have walked in to any Stringer or Walker team signed by Brown - Watson and Bruce in to the equation if you want to throw such things as the back pass rule in to the debate.  Dave Watson was capped for his country and didn''t they call Steve Bruce the best Centre Half never to play for England?Facts are that we were a 2nd tier side when Brown took over and he brought success to us at the top level.  Won two promotions, the Milk Cup and finished 5th in the league with a team which contained the spine of Stringer''s side - all signed for peanuts.His win ratio in his time here currently only sits behind our current manager and Martin O''Neill, dating right back to the 1960''s.[/quote]Fine Smudger that''s your opinion.  The back pass rule, I really don''t want to make an issue of it. I explained it was an example of how football has altered through the eras.  And different variables have a hand in altering a statistic. If you say Brown was the best because he sighed Stringers players fine again.  Like I say it''s a matter of opinion.  If you want to say it''s a fact, that''s up to you.I said Stringer just shaves it so therefore as far as I''m concerned it arguing over a width of a fag paper.