Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Should Holt be captain?

I know this is going to upset a lot of people, and I''ll probably be shot down in flames for even asking the question, but do you think Grant Holt should be captain?

There is no doubting his heart, and ability as a motivator, but I can''t help thinking he''s a bit of a loose cannon.

When things are going well, great, but as soon as things start going against us he seems to loose it. In the words of the famous poem... "if you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs... etc."

Unfortunately Grant seems to be one of the first players to start going off the rails, just when you need him to lead by example. Most defenders now know which buttons to push to frustrate him. Today he was lucky to get away with one of many talking-tos after pushing a defender to the floor, but a few minutes later still got a yellow card for a stupid hand ball. With two away games coming up, Hoolahan injured, and Holt facing a two match ban if he got another booking, you would have expected a more sensible approach from a captain for the sake of the team.

Please don''t think I am knocking Holt; his goals have been a major factor in putting us where we are today. I just wonder if he would be even better without the armband.

Good question really.I think he''s an immense player, but I think someone else (Doc?) could maybe do a good job, and maybe take a little pressure off his shoulders?

Yes. Name 1 player in this division who has more fight and commitment than Grant Holt.

As often as players wind HIM up, he gets under THEIR skin too. Alot of yellows/reds for opposing teams have been down to his clever work.

Wasn''t Iwan pretty similar? The two are pretty much the same player to be honest!

I agree he''s a good captain. However today when he started shouting at team-mates didn''t show good leadership qualities. Too much negativity here, Holt is an awesome player never the less, and his 30 wonderful goals this season show this. [:D]

Was he shouting when Russell played that pass miles over his head for a throw-in? Or a different occasion?

''Cos I''d have ripped into him for that as well! Was the 2nd time in a matter of minutes he''d played a dire pass...he needed telling!

Better than Beckford either way ;)

[quote user="Brendo "]I agree he''s a good captain. However today when he started shouting at team-mates didn''t show good leadership qualities. Too much negativity here, Holt is an awesome player never the less, and his 30 wonderful goals this season show this. [:D][/quote]Agree with this. And for the record, I don''t think there''s any point in wondering if Holt should or shouldn''t be captain, because he is the captain and will probably remain so for a little while.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Was he shouting when Russell played that pass miles over his head for a throw-in? Or a different occasion? ''Cos I''d have ripped into him for that as well! Was the 2nd time in a matter of minutes he''d played a dire pass...he needed telling! Better than Beckford either way ;)[/quote]

To be honest Russell deserved that. That was a wasted chance to push men forward into the box

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Was he shouting when Russell played that pass miles over his head for a throw-in? Or a different occasion?

''Cos I''d have ripped into him for that as well! Was the 2nd time in a matter of minutes he''d played a dire pass...he needed telling!

Better than Beckford either way ;)[/quote]Oh undoubtedly, however I remember 3 times today he shouted at team-mates. [N]1. Russel''s ball over top, free kick?2. Russel Martin in first half ball over top.3. Oli Johnson second half, indicated he wanted it passed to Martin.[:S]

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Was he shouting when Russell played that pass miles over his head for a throw-in? Or a different occasion? ''Cos I''d have ripped into him for that as well! Was the 2nd time in a matter of minutes he''d played a dire pass...he needed telling! Better than Beckford either way ;)[/quote]

To be honest Russell deserved that. That was a wasted chance to push men forward into the box

[/quote]Yeah, but he just wanted to get the ball going and score the goal. Poor pass but I wouldn''t say a rollocking for 1 bad pass was deserved.

Ah I didn''t see the 2nd and 3rd occassion particularly, so can''t comment on them as much.

But I stand by what I thought about Russell''s pass from the free-kick. It was brainless and a total waste of possession. I would have been furious if I was the captain and my players were doing that!

Holt shouldn''t i think next season the armband should go back to dury, it will take a bit off pressure off holt for next season. And things wont begoing our way next season and i expect to see holt miss more games through suspenion.

What signs are there - out of interest - that Holt (who has scored 30 goals this season, as well as setting up dozens more) doesn''t cope with the pressure of the armband.

C''mon people!

It''d be change for sake of change and would disrupt the squad in my opinion.

I can''t believe this.

Holt is a superb captain.

Lambo knows what he is doing.

Drury was not a good captain and it effected his game.

We are a brilliant team that is going through a little stutter because of where we are and where we have come from.

Don''t panic

[quote user="Brendo "]I agree he''s a good captain. However today when he started shouting at team-mates didn''t show good leadership qualities. Too much negativity here, Holt is an awesome player never the less, and his 30 wonderful goals this season show this. [:D][/quote]Whaaaat? What ''exactly'' do you expect of our captain? Wow, am i thankful you''ve got no say in the matter. Talk about negativity Brendan, your quite finding reasons to exacerbate it with ridiculous illogical statements like that.

As for me, he should stay captain without question. Ever since Wycombe, the only times i''ve doubted the leadership of the team, as we descended into quite a flat side, was whilst Doherty had to step in for Holt, in games like Walsall away and such, where we were quite clearly lacking a voice of authority and the fiery attitude Grant Holt offers.Being vocal, passionate, and authoritative are characteristics a captain needs. Holt has them. If that manifest into his discplinary record i''m afraid that is just an entirely different matter altogether. Cards are irrelavent as far as the game is concerned. It''s how the team plays, and ever since Holt has been captain we''ve been great in one respect or another, which is so so so much more than i can say for the other captains we''ve had down atleast the past 5 years.It is what the captain thinks that has the greatest influence upon the side, not the officials and what they think of the captain.