Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v MKD

I mentioned a few weeks back that these last few games of the season often throw up some strange results. Thanks to some incredible officiating and some fine goalkeeping this result was certainly one of them.We managed to create and miss at least a dozen acceptable chances while Dons scored from their only real effort on target. The old Wimbledon Dons were always a bogey side to us and by the looks of things today, MKD have inherited that title.City came out today in bright sunlight in their new pale canary yellow shirts and in the opening minutes dazzled us with some flowing moves. Doc had a couple of goal bound headers saved or blocked on the line while Holty should really have opened the scoring when a cross from Russell Martin left him clear on goal. It just seemed to be a matter of time before the goal came and after 20 minutes it did, only at the wrong end. Dons won a corner after some decent hold up play and Rudd failed to get a good conection on his punch. The ball squirted across the 6 yard line and Wilbrahams was the first to react at the far post. City seemed shaken for 10 minutes or so but eventually got on top again. A cross from the right looked to have beaten everyone and crept into the far corner only for the ref to blow for God knows what. I didn''t see a foul but obviously the ref did and booked Chris Martin. I think it must have been for wearing a bright shirt because I couldn''t see anything else.The second half continued in the same vein with chances being made and spurned with great regularity. Holty had another couple of goal bound efforts brilliantly saved and as time ticked away you got that feeling that our luck was going to be out. Dons were dropping our players as soon as anything opened up and the yellow card was getting so much exposure to the sunlight it soon matched the pale yellow of City''s shirts. The ref was poor in the first half and gradually got worse as the game wore on. Oli Johnson came on for the ineffective MacNamee and Elliot replaced a tiring Smith as the pressure continued. Doc was up with forwards and a cross bounced nicely for him to hook back across the middle only for Wilbrahams raised hand to deflect it out of play. 24,888 saw a stonewall penalty but the man in the black could only see a corner. It makes you weep sometimes but the players did well to bite their lips and carry on. The Dons penalty area was becoming a battlefield with Holt giving the defenders a torrid time so it was no surprise when his name was added to the total of eleven cards today.Finally the dam broke when Wilbrahams committed one foul too many and saw a second yellow and a red. Chris Martin stepped up as the clock ticked to 90 minutes and his well struck free kick nestled in the corner as a roar of relief rang round CR. Six extra minutes were signalled and 24k plus dared to dream. Unfortunately we wasted the chance by being too impatient on the ball but in the context of the afternoon it felt like a point won rather than two lost.Its hard to pick a MOM but for I give it to Doc for anther solid display followed closely by The Admiral and Chris Martin. Holty would have got it had he netted a couple of his numerous chances but his frustration got the better of him and for me summed up the whole game.Please come back soon Wes, we don''t look half the side without you. However, its another point closer and we were''nt the only side to slip up today. My prediction of only one team getting 90 points looks ever more likely.

Good report as ever Ricardo, but with respect, I think you''ve got the details of their goal wrong. From where I was sitting it looked like Russell Martin got the touch as he strained for height and succeeded only in flicking it on for their guy to tap in.

As Beau says, it was a Russel Martin flick on for their player to tap in. Unfortunate really. Good report as always, ta.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Good report as ever Ricardo, but with respect, I think you''ve got the details of their goal wrong. From where I was sitting it looked like Russell Martin got the touch as he strained for height and succeeded only in flicking it on for their guy to tap in.[/quote]You may be right. The ball came across quickly and I couldn''t tell if it came off a head or Rudd''s fist.A bit unlucky but thats football for you.

Aye it was Martin at the near post, but Rudd made a half-hearted effort to get there. Either way it was a bit of a lapse of concentration that seem indicative of a lot of the game today. I can''t disagree with your choices for MOM but I feel you give MKD a bit too much, they were just a bunch of hackers for me, who showed their intent in the game and the ref had no idea how to control it. But it was a great match report as ever Ricardo, and I will eagerly await these again when I''m in exile for the rest of the season.

[quote user="pennywise "]rubbish report ricardo [:D][/quote]Thanks Pennywise.I will try to improve it next time.LOL

I''d agree with all of that Ricardo - We didn''t seem to be able to hold onto the ball in the 10-15 yards outside their penalty box, which was disappointing, they seemed to be winning every 2nd ball in this area.   Also there were too many loose balls when trying to find attacking options, often on the wing - but that''s what happens late in the season.  MK were incredibly attritional, I got the impression that they were told which areas of the pitch you could get away with pulling a man down by Ince, who was a master of getting away with it in his day.  Their fans seemed to revel in the "no-one likes us" image, "no-one has heard about us" would have been more apt.Incidentally, does anyone know what the going rate is for a league 1 referee ?  We seem to had a couple of complete tossers in the last couple of weeks, I''m considering sending him my ticket stub for todays game and asking for a refund.

Excellent as always, Ricardo... as an exile (for another 3 months) I''ve come to almost rely on your match reports - its certainly the place to come to get a reasonable and often entertaining view of the game!Onwards and upwards we go, 7 more points and we''re there... [:)]

It was my first game in a while,and this made me realise how spot on your reports are[Y] Well done and keep ''em up.