Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Where would you rather be?

I think that the tension is getting to all of us now. The team has lost some of it''s fluidity, we have lost Wes to inury and  now Holty to a moment of stupidity, and the slightest error leads to grumblings from the stands. You can feel the tension inside the ground and watching is no longer the pleasure that it was before Christmas when the finishing line was way off in the distance.It''s now so close we can touch it, and if anyone thinks that this doesn''t affect the players as much as it does us is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Inevitably these circumstances lead to a few doubts amongst fans, as the comfortable victories of mid season are replaced by last minute goals and edge of the seat tension, all of which is exacerbated by some pretty awful officiating. It is, sadly, the way of supporters (and not just Norwich ones) to start pointing fingers at players and developing conspiracy theories in these situations. However, the players are the same ones who got us here, and as for the officials, these things tend to even themselves out over a season. Can we honestly say that we haven''t benefitted from decisions or lucky breaks this season (the penalty that changed the Tranmere game at home comes to mind as an example)? There is no dark cabal in the bowels of Football League headquarters tasked with the job of denying us promotion at all costs, but paranoia tends to be a side effect of the sort of situation that we find ourselves in.

Yes, it''s uncomfortable and tense but we are 8 points ahead of second and 9 points ahead of third with only 15 points on the table. If our lads are feeling pressure, how do you think the Leeds, Milwall, and Swindon  players are feeling? Yesterday Swindon, the form team, got stuffed at Colchester, who haven''t been able to buy a win for weeks. You will see more of those sort of results before the end of the season, probably including a couple more defeats for us, but we have the points on the board; they have to get them.What looks like a slender advantage to you will look like a veritable Everest to them. Whose position would you really want to be in? We are going to have to grind things out, there''s no doubt about that, but we are in a wonderful position, something the fans of the other clubs would kill for. Of course we won''t relax until we''re over the line, but as fans we owe it to the players to keep the faith .

All the people I speak to are keeping the faith and are in no doubt that promotion is going to happen. No-one (rightly or wrongly) doubts that. What is getting to them is the way very poor teams are making us look ordinary and, as you euphemistically put it Beaus - our current "lack of fluidity".

Excellent stuff, well said Beau!I''m a bit confused as to why people are worrying about our trip to Orient, a team just outside the relegation places who have only won 4 games since the turn of the year.  I know our luck tends to be poor in such situations, but I''m fairly confident that we can''t have yet another poor referee and should fare well even without Holt and Hoolahoop... I also reckon we could nick three points against Charlton, giving us 6 points out of the 7 we need by this time next week... there''s even a scenario in which all the other teams around us lose their next games and allow us to nick promotion at the Valley, so you never know...

I can see what you''re getting at, Beau, but I don''t really agree about the side being less fluid - we could/should have been 3 or 4 up within the first 20 minutes yesterday, but somehow found ourselves one down. We then took a bit to find our feet again, but were pretty-much camped at their end for the second half.

I think that so far the tension has mostly been limited (quite reasonably) to the supporters rather than the players, and hopefully it will stay that way.

I can''t seem to face up to the facts, I''m tense and nervous and I can''t relax. I can''t sleep cause my bed''s on fire, don''t touch me I''m a real live wire.

very good. Didnt leave my turntable/Cd player/i-Pod...ever.

;0)

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

I can''t seem to face up to the facts, I''m tense and nervous and I can''t relax. I can''t sleep cause my bed''s on fire, don''t touch me I''m a real live wire.

;0)

[/quote]Qu''est-ce que c''est ?

Not sure quite how this turned into a discussion of David Byrne''s masterpiece, but to pick up the points made by Binky and Branston, I''m not suggesting either that we didn''t create enough to win yesterday, or that most people no longer believe that we''ll win the title, but rather that the tension is showing in our passing, which doesn''t have the easy confidence of earlier in the season and also the attitude of some posters. It''s not intended as a criticism, more a statement of fact.

PS Nice work morty!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I think that the tension is getting to all of us now. The team has lost some of it''s fluidity, we have lost Wes to inury and  now Holty to a moment of stupidity, and the slightest error leads to grumblings from the stands. You can feel the tension inside the ground and watching is no longer the pleasure that it was before Christmas when the finishing line was way off in the distance.It''s now so close we can touch it, and if anyone thinks that this doesn''t affect the players as much as it does us is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Inevitably these circumstances lead to a few doubts amongst fans, as the comfortable victories of mid season are replaced by last minute goals and edge of the seat tension, all of which is exacerbated by some pretty awful officiating. It is, sadly, the way of supporters (and not just Norwich ones) to start pointing fingers at players and developing conspiracy theories in these situations. However, the players are the same ones who got us here, and as for the officials, these things tend to even themselves out over a season. Can we honestly say that we haven''t benefitted from decisions or lucky breaks this season (the penalty that changed the Tranmere game at home comes to mind as an example)? There is no dark cabal in the bowels of Football League headquarters tasked with the job of denying us promotion at all costs, but paranoia tends to be a side effect of the sort of situation that we find ourselves in.

Yes, it''s uncomfortable and tense but we are 8 points ahead of second and 9 points ahead of third with only 15 points on the table. If our lads are feeling pressure, how do you think the Leeds, Milwall, and Swindon  players are feeling? Yesterday Swindon, the form team, got stuffed at Colchester, who haven''t been able to buy a win for weeks. You will see more of those sort of results before the end of the season, probably including a couple more defeats for us, but we have the points on the board; they have to get them.What looks like a slender advantage to you will look like a veritable Everest to them. Whose position would you really want to be in? We are going to have to grind things out, there''s no doubt about that, but we are in a wonderful position, something the fans of the other clubs would kill for. Of course we won''t relax until we''re over the line, but as fans we owe it to the players to keep the faith .

[/quote]

Totally agree Beauseant.

But I would rather be in the Caribbean...............and miss all this tension, the will we won''t we, the passion, and the possible promotion parties, not a hope in hell.  Norwich City supporter through thick and thin, it''s in my blood and has been for 25 + years.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

;0)

[/quote]Qu''est-ce que c''est ?

[/quote]Psycho Killer. Nest pas! fafafafafafafafafafa.

Apologies...I can’t understand why my attention drifted from your main point to your musical/lyrical sign off. I’ll get a coffee.

That''s two Talking Heads songs referenced on these forums in the last week... this one happens to be one of my favourite songs of all time... gonna switch off the Manure yawn-fest on 5 Live and crank up the iTunes..... [:D]And, erm, yeah... erm, footy talk... yeah, funny old game innit...

Very good post and to get back to football and forgetting the overated and pretentious Talking Heads, can i just remind people that our club HAS TO GET PROMOTED.  Failure to do so would be a financial disaster.  So instead of moan, pick on individual players, whine about the officials, how about doing something really obvious and just get behind the team?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]utter rubbish...what is this sense off a post doing being posted on this MB?????[;)]

i think we will get 6 from 6 in our nxt 2 games..without Hooly and Holt[Y] our squad has some depth and Oli will step in and do a great job i feel.

Teams in and around us have yet to play each other(well a few of them have) both teams cant win...i think 2 more wins will be enough for the title and promotion.

Leeds to lose in the playoffs...millwall to grab second

Well said, although I would love to see the members of the ''dark cabal in the bowels of Football League headquarters

tasked with the job of denying us promotion at all costs''...Dan Brown''s next book is about this lot.[:D]Three points from Orient and secure promotion against Gills has to be the order of the day.